Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2013, 11:06 AM   #1
Becktastic OP
Bonzai Becky

Oddometer: 1,127
Motoventuring From Alaska to South America - A Collaborative Video Blog!

If the embedded videos aren't working on your device,
Try My Channel directly on YouTube
Subscribe and you'll get an email when I add a new one. :)

We just made A PLAYLIST for YouTube, so you can watch all episodes in order without having to click anything in between!

Also please Like and Follow us on our new Facebook Page for pictures and updates on our current location (as videos will perpetually be behind).

Hey there! I'm about to start my biggest moto adventure to date and I'm doing things a bit differently this time by making videos as I go.
I made this little intro to tell you about the trip.

My plan is to collect ideas, destinations, questions and challenges from you guys as I go to make it an interactive experience and hopefully more fun and interesting for both of us!

I'm flying into Alaska, buying a bike and embarking from Fairbanks on July 20th (just a couple days!) so please post some ideas and challenges up on this thread or YouTube and I'll do my best to incorporate as many as possible! I have about a month and a half for Alaska and the west coast and I'm factoring about a year for the whole trip, so the pace should have room for lots of side adventures! The wonderful rotarygirder will be joining me for the Alaska leg and my good friend Andrea will be riding South with me from San Diego!

Thanks in advance for your help, I'm super excited to get this show on the road!

Andrea's Introduction (added October 2nd, 2013)

Becktastic screwed with this post 10-02-2014 at 08:46 AM
Becktastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:26 AM   #2
adventurebound9517
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
I'm in. You go girl and be safe. I like your video and the pink hair is cool too.
I do have a question? How do you finance a trip like this? You are doing what a lot of us would like to do if.......... I hold young women in high regard who take on an adventure like this. I have a friend from your area that is an adventire rider, she goes by the name of Operaflute.
adventurebound9517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:49 AM   #3
poolman
Gnarly Poolside Adv.

Oddometer: 716
Have an Awesome Adventure

Another Becktastic Ride Report!

This should be great,

Sacred Valley of the Incas
Costa Rica Solo
poolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:37 PM   #4
JDowns
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,638
I met you briefly at the Roll the Bones rally last year. Heard about your upcoming adventures with Andrea over rib dinner. My Sherpa gas tank still has a Becktastic! signature. It is waiting for me down in South America while I work this summer for more travel funds.

So happy to see you are taking off. Have a great trip! Hope to see you down in South America next year.

Your ADV pal,
Tio Juanito
Old 07-21-2013, 11:16 AM   #5
Becktastic OP
Bonzai Becky

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventurebound9517 View Post
I'm in. You go girl and be safe. I like your video and the pink hair is cool too.
I do have a question? How do you finance a trip like this? You are doing what a lot of us would like to do if.......... I hold young women in high regard who take on an adventure like this. I have a friend from your area that is an adventire rider, she goes by the name of Operaflute.
Thanks for the support! I'll try to do a future video about financing a trip like this, since I think there's a lot to that answer and a lot of people would like to know haha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolman View Post
Another Becktastic Ride Report!

This should be great,
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
I met you briefly at the Roll the Bones rally last year. Heard about your upcoming adventures with Andrea over rib dinner. My Sherpa gas tank still has a Becktastic! signature. It is waiting for me down in South America while I work this summer for more travel funds.

So happy to see you are taking off. Have a great trip! Hope to see you down in South America next year.

Your ADV pal,
Tio Juanito
Of course I remember you! And that awesome rib dinner! It was all we could do to finish it with two of us! Keep in touch and hopefully we'll meet again on the south side!

I made a short clip about the kindness of Alaskan strangers and getting my bike prepped for the Dalton Highway. James (rotary girder) should be getting his bike in Anchorage right now and rolling up to meet me tonight, we're going to have a welcome feast and take to the highway in the morning. It's been raining a lot, but I'm not scared!

Old 07-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #6
slaterock
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Hey Beck,

Very cool idea, the vlog that is. It definitely separates you from a sea a common posts. Looking forward to you trip!

slaterock
slaterock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:00 PM   #7
Cmnthead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Further down the road

Hey there, have a safe ride and have fun.
It's a bit early now, but when you get a little further down the road, you, like other ADV riders have, are welcome to hang your helmet at our shack on the beach in Playa Uverito Panama. Your Tio Juan Downs has stayed there as well as DylanS the crazy little fella and Randy from Alberta.

My son, Cam, and I are heading out in November for our 6 week ride from our driveway in Teeswater, Ontario, Canada to our driveway in Playa Uverito, Los Santos, Panama. We plan to get there a week or so before Christmas. But hey wether you come by before, during or after, you are welcome to hang out and enjoy some rustic, typical Panamanian culture and hospitality. There are a few pics on Tio Johns rr somewhere around page 78ish at the shack.

Maybe see you down the road. Looking forward to the rr.
Safe travels

A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.. H Thompson
Cmnthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:12 PM   #8
recharge
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
good luck enjoy

just donated a day on your website.

good luck - looking forward to reading about it.

Richard
recharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:36 AM   #9
Eddywoodgo
two wheeled nomad

Oddometer: 976
You go Girl, I was supposed to Fly to LA on the 15th/10 to ride to the tip of south america then back up to Artic cirlce. I been riding around Australia in the mean time but just had a crash on Cape york. Got an xray after 2000 more kilometers and have 9 broken bones in foot an ankle. So surgery for me and delayed trip.
Have you any tips for a positive healing experience after your wrist??
Enjoy your trip, I will definatly keep posted as I will be in your tyre tracks soon.
Eddywoodgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:41 PM   #10
Becktastic OP
Bonzai Becky

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaterock View Post
Hey Beck,

Very cool idea, the vlog that is. It definitely separates you from a sea a common posts. Looking forward to you trip!

slaterock
Thank you! I'm realizing why it is uncommon though, electronics aren't easy to haul around, keep safe and charged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmnthead View Post
Hey there, have a safe ride and have fun.
It's a bit early now, but ...you are welcome to hang your helmet at our shack on the beach in Playa Uverito Panama. Your Tio Juan Downs has stayed there as well as DylanS the crazy little fella and Randy from Alberta.

Maybe see you down the road. Looking forward to the rr.
Safe travels
Thank you so much! Andrea and I will definitely stop by when we get down your way (though it will be a while yet!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by recharge View Post
just donated a day on your website.

good luck - looking forward to reading about it.

Richard
Thank you Richard! Keep an eye on your mailbox for a thank you postcard! ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddywoodgo View Post
You go Girl, I was supposed to Fly to LA on the 15th/10 to ride to the tip of south america then back up to Artic cirlce. I been riding around Australia in the mean time but just had a crash on Cape york. Got an xray after 2000 more kilometers and have 9 broken bones in foot an ankle. So surgery for me and delayed trip.
Have you any tips for a positive healing experience after your wrist??
Enjoy your trip, I will definatly keep posted as I will be in your tyre tracks soon.
Yikes! I would say finding a really good surgeon is the most important and get that metal out of your body if you can. For me, the second surgery was the best decision I could have made. I had constant aching from the metal and limited range of motion from scar tissue until I had them removed. And do your physical therapy! Don't be afraid to accept help offered to you, don't isolate yourself, healing is long, often painful and boring, but remember it is a temporary state and you will get better! :hugs and healing thoughts your way:

At least you can watch this video and live vicariously until you can ride the Dalton yourself!

Old 07-31-2013, 04:39 PM   #11
Becktastic OP
Bonzai Becky

Dalton Hwy Part 2!

Old 08-01-2013, 06:42 AM   #12
huguesfrederic
HF

Oddometer: 120
[QUOTE=Becktastic;21999170]Dalton Hwy Part 2!

Old 08-01-2013, 08:32 AM   #13
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,895
I'll follow along, it's been pretty good so far...

Have you preplanned your route south or are you just winging it?
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:49 AM   #14
adventurebound9517
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
What a great way to present a RR. I'm not usually a fan of video.o but this is the exception to that rule. Rise on Becktastic Ride on.
adventurebound9517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:31 AM   #15
Belgian Waffles
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventurebound9517 View Post
What a great way to present a RR. I'm not usually a fan of video.o but this is the exception to that rule.
+1
I'm in!

We've got couch space and a garage if you come down through the Willamette Valley. Your PM is welcome when you get here.

Current: 1989 Honda Transalp, 2006 Scorpa TY125F trials
Past: 1999 KLR 650, 1990 Tengai 650
Belgian Waffles is offline   Reply With Quote