Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2013, 08:55 PM   #61
FloorPoor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 714
I just found this thread and subscribed, I hope it's not dead already!

Good luck getting the engine sorted, I've never seen that problem on a DRZ.

"There's nothing like that fresh tire feeling "
FloorPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:59 PM   #62
One Fat Roach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,146
Any links to the videos? I can't watch imbedded videos from my phone on the forums.
. Thanks!
One Fat Roach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:47 PM   #63
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,920
Yip it is what it is.

Hang in there, its part of the adventure.
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:13 PM   #64
rotarygirder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Laugh

Don't worry everybody; sometimes camping involves a week without internet. :)
rotarygirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:58 AM   #65
Becktastic OP
Bonzai Becky

Oddometer: 1,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinroach View Post
Any links to the videos? I can't watch imbedded videos from my phone on the forums.
. Thanks!
You can subscribe to my channel directly through YouTube

Thanks for all the well wishes. I'm happy to report my bike is fixed. Fortunately nothing else failed. Unfortunately this means the engine failure was all-my-fault and the amount of oil burned was within reason for the amount of freeway riding we did. It is easy to get caught up in the fun and recording of the ride and lose track of the miles, but the bikes needs must remain a top priority. An expensive and humbling lesson. Ride or Race in Reno fixed me up and did me right hunting for cheaper parts on Ebay and getting him fixed up pretty quickly. I'm now a total hypochondriac about the bike and checking everything, every day...and that's really how I need to be, because something like this further South would have been much worse.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:04 AM   #66
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becktastic View Post
You can subscribe to my channel directly through YouTube

Thanks for all the well wishes. I'm happy to report my bike is fixed. Fortunately nothing else failed. Unfortunately this means the engine failure was all-my-fault and the amount of oil burned was within reason for the amount of freeway riding we did. It is easy to get caught up in the fun and recording of the ride and lose track of the miles, but the bikes needs must remain a top priority. An expensive and humbling lesson. Ride or Race in Reno fixed me up and did me right hunting for cheaper parts on Ebay and getting him fixed up pretty quickly. I'm now a total hypochondriac about the bike and checking everything, every day...and that's really how I need to be, because something like this further South would have been much worse.
Yeah, better to have this humble lesson in the lower 48 states than down south.. yikes! Glad to know you are back on the road.. Good luck and godspeed!
WhicheverAnyWayCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:20 AM   #67
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhicheverAnyWayCan View Post
Yeah, better to have this humble lesson in the lower 48 states than down south.. yikes! Glad to know you are back on the road.. Good luck and godspeed!
+1, great to see you are back on the road. None of us want to see a bike end a trip, so at least it wasnt totally catastrophic.

Dont beat yourself up over it. Im on the return of an Alaska trip right now and Ive made my own mistakes. You have to learn somehow and you cant learn it all online.

Onward!
GSF1200S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:25 AM   #68
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 2,827
Becky is back in the groove .

The last video was perfect, huba huba Becktastic

Good luck and keep up the RR.
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:04 PM   #69
Becktastic OP
Bonzai Becky

Aww thanks for the kind words everyone.
Here's a video update!

Old 09-12-2013, 06:33 PM   #70
Johnnydarock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Day of the Dead

Becky: Love your ride report...even though your bike crapped out. Just wanted to let you know that I've been to Day of the Dead in Oaxaca (several times) and I think you should keep the Copper Canyon in your trip but go to Day of the Dead in Patzcuaro. I think its much more genuine in Patzcuaro (in my opinion). There's a great camping spot right in the middle of town at the Hotel San Francisco and you can get from village to village all night long on a bike...because the roads will be a major traffic jam. Chack it out on a map and send me a PM if you want more details.

Johnny da Rock
Johnnydarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:12 AM   #71
Becktastic OP
Bonzai Becky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnydarock View Post
Becky: Love your ride report...even though your bike crapped out. Just wanted to let you know that I've been to Day of the Dead in Oaxaca (several times) and I think you should keep the Copper Canyon in your trip but go to Day of the Dead in Patzcuaro. I think its much more genuine in Patzcuaro (in my opinion). There's a great camping spot right in the middle of town at the Hotel San Francisco and you can get from village to village all night long on a bike...because the roads will be a major traffic jam. Chack it out on a map and send me a PM if you want more details.

Johnny da Rock
Hmm I don't know anything about Patzcuaro. I'm imagining it as a much smaller town? Reminds me of my Mexican Art History class talking about the paintings Day of the Dead in the City and Day of the Dead in the Country. The Country painting is a quiet family reflecting on their ancestors by candlelight and The City is a chaotic explosion of fanfare and partying. While the latter misses some of the point of what everything is really about, there is something to be said for that kind of energy. I've been specifically focused on Day of the Dead in Oaxaca for years now, so it's hard to change tracks. However, if it's "less genuine" not just because it's big city craziness, but because it's become touristy and commercial, Patzcuaro may be what I'm looking for. :)

Becktastic screwed with this post 09-13-2013 at 03:56 PM
Becktastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:55 AM   #72
O'B
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 898
O'B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:46 PM   #73
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 7,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becktastic View Post
I've been specifically focused on Day of the Dead in Oaxaca for years now, so it's hard to change tracks. However, if it's "less genuine" not just because it's big city craziness, but because it's become touristy and commercial, Patzcuaro may be what I'm looking for. :)
You can't make cemetaries less genuine and that's where the focus is in both Oaxaca and in Patzcuaro. The real deal in Patzcuaro will be out on Isla Janitzio on Lake Patzcuaro and the big cemetary there, and it will be jammed and the ferry to and from it will be packed.

In Oaxaca the city will have many visitors and there will be all sorts of festivities and parades around town, but there will be more locations where true Dia de los Muertos will be happening. There is nothing "less genuine" about this special first weekend in November in Oaxaca or anything "more genuine" about Patzcuaro.

Accomodations in either place will be tight. Oaxaca is served by a major airport and many visitors fly in just for this event. However, this is also why Oaxaca is the place to be - it will be an off-the-chart festive atmosphere and the city is jubilant. It will not be impossible to find a place to stay. Up in Patzcuaro, you can forget accomodations on Isla Janitzio, and anything in town will be pressed, but not impossible, especially if you are creative.

In either locale, don't be solely focused on the Day of the Dead. Both towns and their environs are overflowing with many things to see and do. For example, near Patzcuaro, don't miss the nearby town of Santa Clara del Cobre no matter what. Around Oaxaca, there is so much to see and do you can spend a week there and not see it all, especially if you are into cooking and artesinal creativity such as dyes, wools, pottery and such. Oaxaca is one of my top favorites in Mexico and more so because of its very close proximity to the southern beaches (where you need to spend another week). Pretty much straight south of Oaxaca via a beautiful motorcycle road, on the coastline between Puerto Escondido and on over to Huatulco, you'll find some of Mexico's prettiest beaches and a great place to relax and unwind especially if you over did it celebrating up in Oaxaca.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say you're doing your videos in IMovie and you did your opening animated slide outtake in Keynote. Either way its a very interesting way to tell the story and I'll be following along.

Don't speed along in Mexico, my favorite country in all the world and home to the most genuine and loving people anywhere.

Be warned: you will fall in love with Oaxaca
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:28 PM   #74
Shooby
Anti-Cager

Oddometer: 569
Scribbed' and just caught up. Great format and well thought narratives.
Enjoy the weather here! Maybe I'll see you on local roads before you exit, stage south.
Shooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:54 PM   #75
Becktastic OP
Bonzai Becky

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Be warned: you will fall in love with Oaxaca
Thanks for all the tips! Unfortunately when I click the embedded video in your Oaxaca report it says the video does not exist. :(