Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2013, 02:45 PM   #1
WildmanSam OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
My tagging / plating experience (KTM 450EXC)

Thought this might be of some interest to people...

A few days ago I purchased a 450exc that had no tags or title and just came with a bill of sale. I was a little worried after all the failed attempts I've read about online. Lucky for me, it only cost a little money and time.

Some of this might be state specific or even county specific but this is how it's generally done given my circumstance.

First thing I did was give my local KTM dealer the vin and they told me where it originally came from. In my case, CA. I could have gone the MSO route but I would have had to track down the original owner and get a signature; that sounded like too much detective work.

Once I learned it was from CA, I called a random county commissioners office and gave them the vin. It had never even been registered.

So my next option was for a title bond. $125 and 12 hours later, all the forms arrived in the mail via fedex. I called up my local police and had them come out to inspect the bike.

I made sure all the lights, flashers and accessories were in check but didn't even need to. The officer signed off without hardly looking at it. The only thing he was concerned with was if it was stolen in GA. When I told him it was from CA, he informed me that they don't even check other states. Now I know NOT to call other states and have them run VINs if I'm unsure of the bike's history.

Called my agent, added the bike to my existing m/c policy for $6 extra bucks a month.

The rest was just a matter of signing papers and getting them notarized at the UPS store. After that, a short wait in line at the commissioners office, a few fees and I had my tags with the brand new title coming in the mail!

$225 in tag/title/valorem fees, $125 for the title loan and $6 in notary fees. Getting my RFS plated... priceless

WildmanSam screwed with this post 07-19-2013 at 01:37 PM
WildmanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:37 PM   #2
Akunin
Neo-Vegabond

Oddometer: 123
Nice! Glad it went so smoothly for you. Its a shame more don't have the same experience. Any more shots of the bike?
Akunin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:02 AM   #3
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akunin View Post
Nice! Glad it went so smoothly for you. Its a shame more don't have the same experience. Any more shots of the bike?
That's kind of surprising in any state other than CA. I thought with their non "off road only" title, KTMs 2000+ were a breeze to plate in other states.

Beautiful RFS, OP. What year?
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:42 AM   #4
WildmanSam OP
Adventurer

2005. i've been riding the hell out of it since i got the plate... this is my second motorcycle, my first being a KLR that i bought two years ago. all i can say is....

i don't have a lot of pics, but i'll be compiling a little riding video to put on my YT channel (link in signature) over the weekend. stay tuned!

something tells me i'm going to be buying a lot of rear tires... this thing is too fun/easy to ride on one wheel
Old 07-19-2013, 12:54 PM   #5
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,978
I had the exact bike, exact year. Most fun/best quality bike I've ever had.
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:18 PM   #6
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,458
excellent info.... could i ask, what's a 'title loan'?....never heard of that....
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:37 PM   #7
WildmanSam OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesupreme View Post
excellent info.... could i ask, what's a 'title loan'?....never heard of that....
sorry, i meant to say title BOND.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:04 PM   #8
WildmanSam OP
Adventurer

well i got around to making that video... turns out i should leave all that motard stuff to the professionals

Old 07-20-2013, 09:32 PM   #9
PatrickM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassroots View Post
well i got around to making that video... turns out i should leave all that motard stuff to the professionals

ROFLMAO!

At first I was thinking "Well, at least riding her is more fun than video editing and then I got to the stairway section...

GJ!
PatrickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 08:13 AM   #10
TimeCloud
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Hey Sam,
I just purchased a KTM 520 already tagged. I am waiting on a new tail light turn signal setup to come in (lost a turn signal jumping) before taking out on the streets. How does the bike ride with the dirt tires on the pavement, anything to look out for?
TIA
Cooper
TimeCloud is offline   Reply With Quote