Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2013, 04:38 PM   #1
MichaelWater OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Mt. Washington to Mt. Katahdin

First overnight trip on my Gen 1 KLR, & my first ride report:

I left Southern Maine Friday morning at 6:45 AM & headed to the base of Mt. Washington through Pinkham Notch. From there I ventured north on Route 16 into the New Hampshire north country following the Androscoggin River to its source, Lake Umbagog. I then crossed the Maine border into the Rangeley Lakes region & headed northeast across the state, finally arriving near the base of Katahdin at Big Moose Campground in Millinocket around 3:30pm. The trip was 317.5 miles.

Bikes are not allowed in Baxter State Park, but I had arranged to meet some friends at the campground. Saturday morning, we drove together in 2 cars into Baxter State Park & climbed Mt. Katahdin via Chimney Pond, Cathdral, Knife Edge & Helon Taylor trails. Though it is 1000' shorter than Washington, the hike of Katahdin revealed a more treacherous, wild &, dare I say, beautiful mountain. I would highly recommend it to those with no fear of heights.

Saturday night was spent eating, drinking & making merry to the live music at the Campground’s pub. With tired legs & full bellies, sleeping was not a problem at all. Sunday morning found the team heading south on I95 to try out the new 75mph posted speed limit, though the KLR w/ ammo can panniers didn’t like to go much more than that without developing the infamous harmonic front-end wobble. We hit Dysart's Truck Stop just south of Bangor & had one of the best breakfasts on the East Coast.

A lot could have gone wrong, but nothing did. The weather was great, the humidity was low, & that allowed for some great picture taking:

Thanks for looking!:cheers:

MichaelWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:32 AM   #2
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
Man, that looked like a really great ride. You had almost all the elements, woods, water and mountains. Very pretty pictures. Thanks for sharing

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:25 PM   #3
MichaelWater OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAdmiral View Post
Man, that looked like a really great ride. You had almost all the elements, woods, water and mountains. Very pretty pictures. Thanks for sharing

My pleasure. Thanks for the kind words.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:49 PM   #4
NHADV
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 512
Great pics and ride report. Thanks for sharing. I just started hiking myself back in February. Ride Safe
Old 07-20-2013, 05:19 PM   #5
justafurnaceman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
I think you might have persuaded me to change my route home. I'm riding from Missouri to Maine and I think I might ride through Rangeley now on my lest leg. I was thinking about doing the Route 2 thing from Gorham to Rumford but I did that last time so I might as well change it up. Great pics!
Old 07-20-2013, 05:24 PM   #6
OneZero
TGT of Opportunity

Oddometer: 303
I love the ammo cans and top box? What piece of equipment used to be stored in the top box? I was thinking an old crew served night site, but a lot of equipment is issued in similar boxes.

There is no greater honor in this world than leading U.S. Soldiers at home and abroad. 'nuff said.
OneZero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:03 PM   #7
MichaelWater OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneZero View Post
I love the ammo cans and top box? What piece of equipment used to be stored in the top box? I was thinking an old crew served night site, but a lot of equipment is issued in similar boxes.
Thanks for the complement! The top box was for night vision goggles. I just removed the interior foam. Picked it up at the dump for free - it was a near perfect fit on the KLR back rack!
Old 07-20-2013, 06:18 PM   #8
MichaelWater OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by justafurnaceman View Post
I think you might have persuaded me to change my route home. I'm riding from Missouri to Maine and I think I might ride through Rangeley now on my lest leg. I was thinking about doing the Route 2 thing from Gorham to Rumford but I did that last time so I might as well change it up. Great pics!
Thanks! Gorham to Rumford via Route 2 is hard to beat. But I think you'll be pleased with route 16 along the Androscoggin & up into Rangeley - definitely more remote & higher in elevation. Just watch for deer & moose. Thanks for looking & good luck on your trip!