Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2013, 02:50 PM   #16
tuffenuff OP
a.k.a. "Tiny Dancer"

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjzondrz View Post
Wow,your da Woman.
I'm not sure how often you have been riding as a passenger,but I need to tell you this.
When he leans into a curve on the road or trail,you MUST LEAN WITH HIM.Please DO NOT SIT UP.
That is all.
Have a great time,and take lots & lots of pictures.
Thanks, tjzondrz! I've ridden once with him before on his 990 and I've also been on the back of a couple of road bikes many many years ago. I definitely will lean WITH him if I go. :-)
First Long ADV Ride, 09/07: Passed Out In CO & Washed Up In UT (COBDR & UTBDR)
tuffenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:23 PM   #17
ShaneBaby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
A faulty Intercom is best that way when either one of you decide you've had enough "did you see thats?" you switch it off and say "faulty intercom"

I have had a pillion a lot on sportsbikes and sports tourers and I want a pillion of your size to stay neutral, to go with me but not lean more than me.

You have to realize the rider is riding and you are along for the ride he is making alot of subtle inputs in corners and traffic to keeping you both alive. Trust him. Relax and dont add your 2c into each corner just enjoy the ride

oh and be a willing bum massager when numb bum sets in

PS I told a girl I trusted to take the throttle for me(my throttle hand would go numb on long distances) then I asked her to hold it wide open as much as she dared on my R1 in Germany the speedo stopped before she did!! 180MPH! so have fum your going to enjoy yourselves
ShaneBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:42 PM   #18
Gitana
A work in progress

Oddometer: 6,950
Buy her her own bike?
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Gitana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:08 PM   #19
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitana View Post
Buy her her own bike?
That was my initial thought too, but there's only about 4-6 weeks till their trip. That probably IS enough time for practice, IF she's dedicated, but she'd need to find a 250 thumper in good shape and probably lower it.

Still, if he was going to carry all their gear anyway, she should be able to keep up on any small bike...as long as they keep it down to the speed limit. Speeding tix in Nevada are expensive anyway.

It's easier to ride rough dirt roads than be a passenger on them.
JustKip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:34 PM   #20
Witold
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffenuff View Post
Thanks, tjzondrz! I've ridden once with him before on his 990 and I've also been on the back of a couple of road bikes many many years ago. I definitely will lean WITH him if I go. :-)
Riding is not like sitting in a car. If you are not used to it, you are going to be miserable trying to ride for 2 weeks straight if the plan is to put down any decent mileage. He is used to it, you are not. This is a horrible idea. You should start practicing now so that when you go on the trip it won't be so miserable.

The above advice is for paved roads, and it goes double for dirt roads. Do some proper 2-up rides now to build up your endurance and to work out the kinks. Do not wait.

Intercoms/communicators are going to make things a lot better. Everyone that tries them seems to love them, including myself.

A proper meal and some small creature comforts will go a long way to happily close out a long day of riding. Some proper food over fire can go a long way to set a great atmosphere, IMO. I would skip the food pouches stuff, if possible.
Witold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:01 AM   #21
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witold View Post
Riding is not like sitting in a car. If you are not used to it, you are going to be miserable trying to ride for 2 weeks straight if the plan is to put down any decent mileage. He is used to it, you are not. This is a horrible idea. You should start practicing now so that when you go on the trip it won't be so miserable.

The above advice is for paved roads, and it goes double for dirt roads. Do some proper 2-up rides now to build up your endurance and to work out the kinks. Do not wait.
Best advice yet!
JustKip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:14 AM   #22
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,223
A really, really good girlfriend would learn how to ride a bike and go along as a fellow rider instead of a passenger.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:11 AM   #23
Stinez
Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer: 48,113
My wife has her own bike and rides it very well.

The problem is that sometimes I miss having my wife on the back of the bike.

And sometimes I don't.

The GOP puts the "Con" in Conservative.
Stinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:59 AM   #24
ChildlikeWonder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 559
I've never been a passenger, but I ride with one a lot. My advice would be:
- stop every 100-150 miles for water, whether you think you need it or not
- remember to lean against the turn in that gas station parking lot, which sounds obvious but 150 miles of pavement without stopping will make you forget
- don't lean too much of your weight against his back for too long a period of time, because he can't shift that weight to his butt, it has to get transferred to the bike through his arms.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:18 PM   #25
tuffenuff OP
a.k.a. "Tiny Dancer"

New bike = new discussion

Thanks all! While I would love to get my own bike, at 4'11" and 90 lbs, I'm somewhat limited (for now) as to the type of bike available for me. I know I can find some smaller dirt bikes out there, but not something suitable for a 2 week long adventure ride. This would require more research, trial runs and time which I don't have. So I'll save that discussion for another time. Stay tuned on that...
Old 08-09-2013, 06:31 PM   #26
tuffenuff OP
a.k.a. "Tiny Dancer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneBaby View Post
A faulty Intercom is best that way when either one of you decide you've had enough "did you see thats?" you switch it off and say "faulty intercom"

I have had a pillion a lot on sportsbikes and sports tourers and I want a pillion of your size to stay neutral, to go with me but not lean more than me.

You have to realize the rider is riding and you are along for the ride he is making alot of subtle inputs in corners and traffic to keeping you both alive. Trust him. Relax and dont add your 2c into each corner just enjoy the ride

oh and be a willing bum massager when numb bum sets in

PS I told a girl I trusted to take the throttle for me(my throttle hand would go numb on long distances) then I asked her to hold it wide open as much as she dared on my R1 in Germany the speedo stopped before she did!! 180MPH! so have fum your going to enjoy yourselves
Noted. Thanks, ShaneBaby! We got the Sena SMH10 Intercom system and have it all paired up to our phones, set in our helmets and ready to go. The sound quality is amazing!
Old 08-09-2013, 06:33 PM   #27
tuffenuff OP
a.k.a. "Tiny Dancer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildlikeWonder View Post
I've never been a passenger, but I ride with one a lot. My advice would be:
- stop every 100-150 miles for water, whether you think you need it or not
- remember to lean against the turn in that gas station parking lot, which sounds obvious but 150 miles of pavement without stopping will make you forget
- don't lean too much of your weight against his back for too long a period of time, because he can't shift that weight to his butt, it has to get transferred to the bike through his arms.
Got it. Thanks, ChildlikeWonder! And we'll definitely be hydrating well!
Old 08-09-2013, 06:39 PM   #28
tuffenuff OP
a.k.a. "Tiny Dancer"

Got the SHOEI RF-1100 helmet (XXS) and will be wearing this a lot this month prior to the Sept ride. This was recommended to me for my size, type of riding, as a passenger, comfort and fit the shape of my head best. I thought the cost was fair. Bonus - it has recesses at the ears for speakers! This is coming in handy as I am not bothered at all by the intercom system my BF just bought and installed! Will provide a review after Sept ride.
http://s1213.photobucket.com/user/pd...tml?sort=3&o=1

tuffenuff screwed with this post 08-09-2013 at 06:49 PM
Old 08-09-2013, 06:42 PM   #29
JoeyBones
Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer: 1,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneBaby View Post
.......I want a pillion of your size to stay neutral, to go with me but not lean more than me.......
^^^ This...
One State left to ride: Hawaii. IBA #48773.
Check out my Motorcycle Courier Adventures or the Charlotte Ride Planning & 3rd Thursday Pizza-Meet

"I picked up a nice burlap thong. It makes me feel pretty." - BluRidgeRider
JoeyBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:46 PM   #30
tuffenuff OP
a.k.a. "Tiny Dancer"

Boots

Got the Fox Comp5 - had to get a Youth size 5 as I have small feet and no women's size 5 available when I purchased. These are comfortable as soon as I put them on and I feel protected. Will be wearing these around the house as well this month. Will provide an update review after the Sept ride.
http://s1213.photobucket.com/user/pd...tml?sort=3&o=0