User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2013, 07:58 PM   #31
SansSand
Dirty Smile

Oddometer: 52
Do a test weekend

You have a lot kf good recommendations. But in addition to being a good passenger he needs to be a good rider and partner.

Take a couple day trip or weekend trips off road so you can figure out what You need to be a good passenger. Being comfortable is key!

If he will spring for a top case strap a pillow to it for a back rest
. I ride my own and can go about 400 miles...rode once on the back and wanted off in 5 miles. The back seat is uncomfortable and not ergonomic. Don't worry about being "that girl" if you need a break ask for one. Half these people would be crying in 10 minutes riding pillion.

See "specific for women thread" for reco on packing gear etc

Lastly...talk about falling..
Friends did this UTBDR or CO . You can "go down" off road...especially if it is rainy and sloppy. Alway been a rider, I know when i am about to dump and know how to go with it...not sure how to react as a passenger.
But you should be prepared. Don't let this deter you...falling is no big deal! I promise!

You will have a great time.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:30 PM   #32
tuffenuff OP
a.k.a. "Tiny Dancer"

Oddometer: 133
Helmet & Boots

SHOEI RF-1100 (XXS)

FOX COMP5 (Youth 5)
First Long ADV Ride, 09/07: Passed Out In CO & Washed Up In UT (COBDR & UTBDR)
tuffenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:33 PM   #33
tuffenuff OP
a.k.a. "Tiny Dancer"

Oddometer: 133
Thanks, SansSand! We're going on a day/weekend trip soon to iron out some kinks! Super excited and can't wait!
First Long ADV Ride, 09/07: Passed Out In CO & Washed Up In UT (COBDR & UTBDR)
tuffenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:01 AM   #34
DARKRYDER
NoNoob

Oddometer: 318
We appreciate all the great advice everyone. We're extremely pumped up for this trip - it's going to be EPIC! We're trailering the 990s out to Cortez and doing the COBDR, staying a weekend in Steamboat Springs for the 2013 KTM Rally, then north and across to Echo Park, join up with the UTBDR in reverse through Huntington, Moab, White Rim Trail, down to Mexican Hat with a visit to Monument Valley and back to Cortez. This will be a group of very experienced riders all on well-prepped 990 adventures, tuffenuff will be in good hands and it's going to be a very memorable trip for both of us. We need to get busy prepping the 990R, test packing our gear and doing some test rides together. The Sena SMH10 system is now installed in both helmets and we really like the intercom system and Bluetooth music. I think she'll be OK on the vinyl Renazco Racing seat, but we're looking for recommendations on some type of additional comfort pad for her if you pillion riders have any ideas? I'm also going to install some 6mm grub screws in the passenger pegs to give her additional grip off-road.
3 Kaboom's, 3 Dudes, and a Chick ride Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, Montana
Passed Out In CO & Washed Up In UT (UTBDR & COBDR)
DARKRYDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:37 AM   #35
ChildlikeWonder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffenuff View Post
Got the SHOEI RF-1100 helmet (XXS) and will be wearing this a lot this month prior to the Sept ride. This was recommended to me for my size, type of riding, as a passenger, comfort and fit the shape of my head best. I thought the cost was fair. Bonus - it has recesses at the ears for speakers! This is coming in handy as I am not bothered at all by the intercom system my BF just bought and installed! Will provide a review after Sept ride.
http://s1213.photobucket.com/user/pd...tml?sort=3&o=1
I wear the same helmet. Love it. If he got the Sena intercom, there's a trick to installing it on the RF1100: remove the pad (I'll provide details if you tell me that's the one he got).

As far as you being too small for a bike - nonsense. Ok, so too small for a BMW, but look at Ducati and Triumph.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:04 AM   #36
thetourist
Just passing thru

Oddometer: 4,023
Nice helmet. very comfy. Mine is getting old but is still very tight to my head and feels like an old hat should.

Wear your new helmet 4-6 hrs some day and check for hot spots. Wear your sunglasses if you do on the bike.

If you get hot spots around the ears you can squeeze the spot with your thunbs. Just a bit. It may take several tries.

Mine is snug enough that a silk scarf on my head makes it very tight.

Speaking of scarves. A silk scarf will stop windburn and chaffing on the neck .

Wet wipes (unscented) will clean bugs off your visor but leaves a film. I carry a very soft cloth for buffing after wiping.
thetourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:24 PM   #37
LittlePosum
Scrappy Marsupial

Oddometer: 330
tuffenuff you're not too small...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffenuff View Post
Thanks all! While I would love to get my own bike, at 4'11" and 90 lbs, I'm somewhat limited (for now) as to the type of bike available for me. I know I can find some smaller dirt bikes out there, but not something suitable for a 2 week long adventure ride. This would require more research, trial runs and time which I don't have. So I'll save that discussion for another time. Stay tuned on that...
I'm not much larger than yourself. I just started riding last year. There are lots of bikes out there to get you started on just to learn the basics. Then you figure out what you need to be safe and comfortable and go shopping! Tons of motogeeks out there get super stoked on customizing bikes to a girls personal specs. You just sound to me like a person who would really get a kick out of riding her own ride!
Either way your adventure is coming up soon and I hope you all have a fantastic trip!
Old 08-14-2013, 12:31 PM   #38
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,925
I havent seen this bit of advice. But get a top box or some sort of backrest. It will make the passenger more comfortable, and let the driver hit the gas any time they want without worrying about flipping the passenger off the back. The missus will not ride without one and I dont blame her.

Seat wise. Go to Walmart and look for the 4wheeler seat pad. Cut it down as required and strap it the seat. Not perfect, but increases the comfort way beyond the $20 price tag.

One more thing. Both you and the BF should have a camel back. Drinking sips along the way, makes a big difference.

Yankee Dog screwed with this post 08-14-2013 at 12:40 PM
Yankee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:45 AM   #39
salcar
Riding 4 Health

Oddometer: 1,077
I just finished riding across Africa (cape town to cairo) two-up with my girlfriend on a F800GS. We did 10 countries, 20,000 kms in approx. 6 months.

We did not buy the intercom. We figured that we will be 24/7 together so the quite time on the bike was welcome and at the end of the ride we had things to talk about.

Definitely the off-road foot pegs for the passenger are a must if you plan to ride off road. We started without them and it was miserable for her because she kept sliding.

Be prepare to stop more often than if you are riding alone. Make sure you have a big blanket to wrap around yourself so you can pee on the side of the road if there is no bush or get one of those things to pee standing. Remember to carry toilet paper.

Learn the proper standing position while riding two-up. Both of you should be standing:
- the pillion as close as possible to the rider
- one hand under the arm holding to his chest so that when he gives gas you can hold onto him
- one hand on the back so when he breaks you can stop yourself
- make sure you understand weight distribution when turning (outside peg), going up-hill weight forward etc.

My gf used a road helmet because the off-road one got to much wind. If you are using off-road and are getting to much wind then make the windshield on the bike taller.

Make sure to take snacks and water as you will have different calorie intake needs.

We started riding 200 kms per day and that was enough for my girlfriend. It took almost a month before we could do 500 kms in a day. By the middle of the trip we did up to 800 kms in one day including off-road. Definitely start riding as much as possible prior to the trip.

Prior to the trip it will be good to discuss the rule of engagement. For example, we decided to postpone any discussion to the next day until we were both rested. We had agree on a "silent" day once very 10 days approx. Some time we made a "peace agreement" so we could move over the arguments... etc. etc.

Try to discuss roles and responsibilities. For example for packing, flat tire etc.

This is what come up to my mind right now.

Enjoy the ride!
Old 08-15-2013, 03:19 PM   #40
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,773
I'm glad to see you are using real gear instead of cutesy stuff designed for looks (not that yours doesn't look good ). Good choice on the helmet, too. The peak on dual sport helmets is nice, but ends up bashing the driver every time he hits the brakes.

We have the Sena SMH5 intercoms, and it has made riding an experience we share, rather than feeling alone sitting next to each other. Ours cuts out occasionally, but always comes right back. Yours has more range (and features) so maybe it won't do that.

I also disagree with leaning. If you stay in line with the bike, the bike will be more predictable. You will lean a little just following the corners, but over-doing it doesn't help the rider.

The backrest: if you don't have one, another option is one of those belts with handles that goes around the driver's waist. Especially for someone your size, it is easier than trying to reach all the way around him, and provides a more comfortable riding position.

If you are the only woman in the group, the smaller size of women's bladders may become apparent. To avoid the sudden urge to stop at a restroom, you can either sip water a little at a time (the camel back was a good idea), or carry some tissue/wet wipes with you to make running behind a bush very quick.

It sounds like you are going to have an awesome trip!
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:24 PM   #41
DARKRYDER
NoNoob

Thanks for the additional guidance fellow inmates We can't wait until 9/6 to depart for Cortez, CO where we begin our epic trip 2-up with 3 other 990 adventure riders. Today, I drilled and installed some grub screws in the passenger pegs to give her additional grip off-road and I've got the AdvDesigns highway pegs up front for stretching the legs on open stretches. TuffEnuff ordered the Airhawk (original) pillion size pad for the rear and we're going to shim the front with a folded towel and experiment to get her seating position a bit flatter and more comfortable. The seat profile on the Renazco is slanted pretty aggressively, so I won't be surprised if she slides forward a lot. We'll shake those things out in the coming weeks before our big trip.

Lots of great advice in here and yes, we'll both be wearing Camelbacks and hydrating well. I'm concerned a bit about the 13K foot elevations in Colorado than hydration. Hopefully, no one on the ride gets the dreaded altitude sickness. I'm still debating whether I want to use the Touratech hard panniers or Wolfman soft expedition bags on this trip. The hard panniers with the OR compression bags on top will give her armrests and they are a bit larger, but the soft bags are lighter and safer. Decisions....

3 Kaboom's, 3 Dudes, and a Chick ride Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, Montana
Old 08-15-2013, 10:24 PM   #42
DARKRYDER
NoNoob

Old 08-15-2013, 10:26 PM   #43
DARKRYDER
NoNoob

Old 08-16-2013, 07:46 AM   #44
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,925
The hard bags will also make good camp stools.
Yankee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:59 AM   #45
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKRYDER View Post
...I'm concerned a bit about the 13K foot elevations in Colorado than hydration. Hopefully, no one on the ride gets the dreaded altitude sickness...
I read that Ibuprofen can help prevent altitude related issues:
http://healthland.time.com/2012/03/2...tude-sickness/
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote