Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2013, 08:04 AM   #46
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,080
Some of the dirt roads in those parts are pretty soft. I'd keep a DOT knobby up front at least. I used the OEM front tire on my 950 through there in 2006. It made things a lot harder than needed.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:08 AM   #47
kneeslider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 794
If you are healthy no worries

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
I read that Ibuprofen can help prevent altitude related issues:
http://healthland.time.com/2012/03/2...tude-sickness/
Just pace yourself. If altitude does bother you remember, "climb high, sleep low!"

I have hiked Pikes Peak & climbed Kilimanjaro with very little high altitude sickness symptoms.

Need to learn more, google it!

All the best!
kneeslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:43 PM   #48
DARKRYDER
NoNoob

Oddometer: 316
Yes, we're expecting some deep sand in Utah. Since we're doing the UTBDR from north to south, we sadly won't be doing Lockhart Basin, but I'll hit that stuff next year solo on the 530. I've got a brand new D908 Rally Raid rear and D606 front waiting to go on the bike before we depart. They are DOT knobbies and take anything I throw at them, but a loaded GS or 990 is definitely a handful in deep sand. I just installed a Scott's damper on the 990 and have the normal (low speed) adjustment way out because I don't like the resistance in slow technical riding. For the baby head rocks and deep sand, are you guys cranking that low speed setting way in to make the front tight? I have the sweep and high-speed damping setup where I want it, but just can't used to the feel of the low-speed damping. Need to experiment with it more, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Some of the dirt roads in those parts are pretty soft. I'd keep a DOT knobby up front at least. I used the OEM front tire on my 950 through there in 2006. It made things a lot harder than needed.
3 Kaboom's, 3 Dudes, and a Chick ride Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, Montana
Passed Out In CO & Washed Up In UT (UTBDR & COBDR)
DARKRYDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:57 PM   #49
baka1969
Veteran Bubblehead

Oddometer: 21
You might want to consider getting an Airhawk air pad. It'll save your buns.

Every rider has different rules so it's hard for me to say what he'll want over that period of time. Just in case the intercom "malfunctions", make sure you have some predetermined signals between the two of you.

Never, ever panic. Even if a bee/wasp flies down your shirt, signal your bf to stop immediately and then to the bee dance on the side of the road. If you ride long enough, you'll be doing the bee dance and willingly strip at roadside.
baka1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:14 PM   #50
DARKRYDER
NoNoob

Oddometer: 316
Great advice. I remember reading about ascending and descending slowly through high mountains. Personally, I've never experienced any altitude sickness and I absolutely LOVE camping at high elevation. There's something very spiritual about being up that high. It's going to be an epic trip! And Kilimanjaro...wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneeslider View Post
Just pace yourself. If altitude does bother you remember, "climb high, sleep low!"

I have hiked Pikes Peak & climbed Kilimanjaro with very little high altitude sickness symptoms.

Need to learn more, google it!

All the best!
3 Kaboom's, 3 Dudes, and a Chick ride Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, Montana
Passed Out In CO & Washed Up In UT (UTBDR & COBDR)
DARKRYDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:21 PM   #51
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by baka1969 View Post
Never, ever panic. Even if a bee/wasp flies down your shirt, signal your bf to stop immediately and then to the bee dance on the side of the road. If you ride long enough, you'll be doing the bee dance and willingly strip at roadside.
My wife recently got her license (and a DR350), and that was one of the things I warned her about. I was so proud of her when we were riding along and she starts yelling through the intercom about a bee in her helmet, yet visually looked like she was on a Sunday drive. Yup, bee dance one the side of the road.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:48 AM   #52
Rainprincess
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
I'm not sure how your hair will stand up to the wind, rain, sun and muck but I have to be very careful with my hair or a brush won't go through it! I found something called a wrapter that rolls up the length of my hair. It keeps it from tangling, and from wind damage. You can find them here. http://wrapter.com/index.htm

ian408 screwed with this post 08-22-2013 at 04:15 PM Reason: fix quote.
Rainprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:20 AM   #53
tuffenuff OP
a.k.a. "Tiny Dancer"

Oddometer: 133
Thanks for all the great advice everyone! We've been doing extensive research and prep for our upcoming ride and I am stoked about the gear I bought and pulled together for the trip! See below for my ride "outfits"...
First Long ADV Ride, 09/07: Passed Out In CO & Washed Up In UT (COBDR & UTBDR)
tuffenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:36 AM   #54
tuffenuff OP
a.k.a. "Tiny Dancer"

Ride Outfit - Plan B (in case Plan A didn't arrive on time):

JACKET: Rev'It Tornado Jacket. Euro Size 34 (smallest they have). CE approved protection on elbows and shoulders.
*Upgraded the factory back protector to Rev'it SEESOFT Back Protector Insert. Type KN. Size 105
PANT: Fox 180 MotoX Pants. Size Boys Youth 28.
*Bought Kali Aazis soft knee guards. Small.
http://s1213.photobucket.com/user/pd...for%20a%20ride

Got the same pant but more black on the side (less white):
Old 08-23-2013, 10:53 AM   #55
tuffenuff OP
a.k.a. "Tiny Dancer"

Ride Outfit - Plan A (it came early!!!): Motoport Custom Jacket & Pant

*Marathon Kevlar Jacket (with zipper to connect, tri-armors & 2-part jacket liner inc. insulation)
*Ultra II Kevlar Pant (with zipper to connect, tri-armors & pant liner)
- added tri-armor hip pads and sacrum tri-armor to the pant
- paid extra Rush order so I would have it by mid next week & it came early! woohoo! (ordered back on 8/1)
As soon as I put it on, I felt great, sexy and safe like being in a tank! I'm going to wear it around the house for a while to let the armor mold to my form and also continue to wear the helmet.
A practice ride is in the works and will provide an update on comfort and feel thereafter.

http://s1213.photobucket.com/user/pd...for%20a%20ride

Old 08-23-2013, 11:05 AM   #56
tuffenuff OP
a.k.a. "Tiny Dancer"

Quote:

Every rider has different rules so it's hard for me to say what he'll want over that period of time. Just in case the intercom "malfunctions", make sure you have some predetermined signals between the two of you.

Thanks, baka1969! I ordered the Airhawk and it should get here next week! And I'll remember the bee dance... I had a bee fly inside my shirt once before - I didn't know it was a bee at the time and in a panic I swatted at it thinking it was a fly or some other bug. The little bugger left the stinger but otherwise I was OK. Also, we'll be doing a test ride soon and will definitely prep predetermined signals just in case.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:16 AM   #57
tuffenuff OP
a.k.a. "Tiny Dancer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainprincess View Post
I'm not sure how your hair will stand up to the wind, rain, sun and muck but I have to be very careful with my hair or a brush won't go through it! I found something called a wrapter that rolls up the length of my hair. It keeps it from tangling, and from wind damage. You can find them here. http://wrapter.com/index.htm
Thanks, Rainprincess! I was going to just keep my hair in a braid(s) but I like this wrapter idea. I just ordered 2 (black and red). And will buy another set of hair ties. :-)
Old 08-23-2013, 03:09 PM   #58
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,540
Good job finding gear that fits, living on the edge of the size range has some drawbacks...

Tip for base layers: I wear running tights under my armored pants, they wick sweat well enough and don't get bunched up in my boots. I've found, however, tights with ankle zippers are very irritating - the zipper rubs against my ankle and creates a raw spot. If you go the tights route, try to stay away from ankle zippers.
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:12 PM   #59
tuffenuff OP
a.k.a. "Tiny Dancer"

Quote:

It's here! Airhawk seat cushion, cruiser pillion size. My BF will be installing this week! Me bums are already happy!

tuffenuff screwed with this post 08-27-2013 at 03:35 PM
Old 08-27-2013, 01:20 PM   #60
tuffenuff OP
a.k.a. "Tiny Dancer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Error View Post
Good job finding gear that fits, living on the edge of the size range has some drawbacks...

Tip for base layers: I wear running tights under my armored pants, they wick sweat well enough and don't get bunched up in my boots. I've found, however, tights with ankle zippers are very irritating - the zipper rubs against my ankle and creates a raw spot. If you go the tights route, try to stay away from ankle zippers.
Thanks, Twilight Error! I hear ya about the zippered tights. I have them as well for running and experience the same discomfort. I've got bicycling shorts with crotch padding and was thinking of using them for more comfort and possibly getting longer ones... thoughts???