ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2013, 04:44 PM   #46
One Fat Roach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altego View Post
mount a skid plate and go run it again!
I second this!!
One Fat Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:26 PM   #47
peterman
cop magnet

Oddometer: 13,271
take off the seat.
pull a hot lead off the battery and route it over the frame, between the frame and the seat. then bash it with a smooth rock until it shorts out against the frame.
put the seat back on,,spill some fuel,,OMG there's a short,,, anna spark,,,ANNA FIRE!,,,
,and now you claim the insurance and get a new bike,,hope the insurance also covers the fire crew that comes to rescue you and extinguish the small blaze yer bike caused ,,all because you didn't carry some epoxy putty!
Or,,you could just unfold your entrenching tool,,dig an appropriate sized grave, shoot yer bike in both legs, and bury it in the hole ya dug!
In th olderned days,,they didn't even bother to bury horses when they quit the rider on a sidehill! Shoot 'em and leave 'em!,
But,,But,,!,Now I gotta carry all this shit?!
peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:32 PM   #48
MartiniUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterman View Post
take off the seat.
pull a hot lead off the battery and route it over the frame, between the frame and the seat. then bash it with a smooth rock until it shorts out against the frame.
put the seat back on,,spill some fuel,,OMG there's a short,,, anna spark,,,ANNA FIRE!,,,
,and now you claim the insurance and get a new bike,,hope the insurance also covers the fire crew that comes to rescue you and extinguish the small blaze yer bike caused ,,all because you didn't carry some epoxy putty!
Or,,you could just unfold your entrenching tool,,dig an appropriate sized grave, shoot yer bike in both legs, and bury it in the hole ya dug!
In th olderned days,,they didn't even bother to bury horses when they quit the rider on a sidehill! Shoot 'em and leave 'em!,
But,,But,,!,Now I gotta carry all this shit?!
No more coffee!
MartiniUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:31 PM   #49
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,519
Glad everything worked out, most importantly nice dog!
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:17 PM   #50
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 893
Few years ago I started out on the trail on the pass between Sagehen and Smiths Ferry. I fell over trying to cross a tree root about a 1/4 mile in. I turned around!

A year or two later I discovered the trailhead off the ATV trail system north of Sagehen. I didn't do it.

Handy, I give you a ton of credit for what you did with such limited trail s'perience.

We've ridden our mules/horses on the trails to the west of the FAA golf ball thingy up from Ramage Meadows/Wilson Corral area's. Maybe you saw the cabin down in the valley to the SW of the ball in the valley below Gabes Peak. We were there. BTW, you can't, but even if you could, you would never want to ride the trails we were on.

Again, I tip my hat to you.

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:44 PM   #51
shojimon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsrider-boyd View Post
If you're going to carry a tube, carry the front tire tube, in a pinch it will do just fine in the back tire too, that way you only carry one tube, but you're covered for both tires.

And of course the tube does you no good if you don't have the tools to remove the wheel, install the tube, pump it up, and reinstall the wheels.

Also a Leatherman. I like the one that has the locking jaws. Forget which model it is. Had a friend use one as a shift lever after he snapped his off out at Naches.

Yep- did that once myself- vicegrips ROCK!
shojimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 04:21 PM   #52
Eastbay Dirtbag
singletrack seeker

Oddometer: 250
Non Motorized north of Joe's Creek junction

Quote:
Originally Posted by obrianmcc View Post
......IDPR/USFS Map/MVUM appear to be consistent with each other, but signs on the ground could be another story?
I don't know about in 2013, but in 2014 the Boise NF's MVUM maps for the Emmett and Cascade districts are consistent and show that West Mountain Trail is NON-MOTORIZED NORTH of the JUNCTION with Joe's Creek Trail #137. The sign on the ground is also consistent.

West Mountain Trail (#131) from the South Trailhead off FS 626 and Joe's Creek Trail (#137) from its trailhead off FS 394 are both Motorized to their intersection but not beyond. So you cannot legally ride to Tripod Peak or Snowbank Mtn.

Here is the sign heading north on West Mtn Trail at Joe's Creek junction. Photo taken 9/29/14.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:43 PM   #53
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 8,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastbay Dirtbag View Post
Here is the sign heading north on West Mtn Trail at Joe's Creek junction. Photo taken 9/29/14.
You've got a time machine?
James Adams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 05:57 PM   #54
Mr Dual Sport
Roamer

Oddometer: 1,403
Quote:
Boise NF's MVUM maps

You mean you actually use those things? I thought they were for TP/firestarter!
Old 08-30-2014, 10:38 PM   #55
EmBeeZedEx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootenai Rider View Post
Add two Motion Pro tire irons, patch kit with fresh glue, and a pump or CO2 filler
Always TWO tubes of glue. The left over half a tube you used most recently and a brand new sealed one. Easiest way in the world to carry fresh glue.
EmBeeZedEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:31 PM   #56
causef0rconcern
Rift Explorer

Oddometer: 227
Hot tip for quicksteel use from a guy who owns two motorcycles that each feature permanent trailside quicksteel fixes on their engines...

Carry a tiny bit of sandpaper. Scuff up the area around the wound before application. Make sure you clean the hell out of the area after sanding, too. If possible, use brake cleaner, as it cleans real nice and leaves no residue. I put a hole in the bottom of my DR650 case 20k miles ago - 120grit, brake cleaner treatment, and quicksteel - not a drop has leaked since.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:26 PM   #57
shrubitup
Uncouth Sloth

Oddometer: 1,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy View Post
It has the factory skid plate on it which was obviously insufficient.
This was only the second time I have ever ridden single track in my life so I wasn't as prepared as I will be next time, live and learn I guess.
What's life without a little adventure once in a while?
Good lesson and glad you brought water to drink over a year ago now. Purpose-built aftermarket skid plates rock!
shrubitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:28 PM   #58
shrubitup
Uncouth Sloth

Oddometer: 1,115
Quote:
I don't know about in 2013, but in 2014 the Boise NF's MVUM maps for the Emmett and Cascade districts are consistent and show that West Mountain Trail is NON-MOTORIZED NORTH of the JUNCTION with Joe's Creek Trail #137. The sign on the ground is also consistent.

West Mountain Trail (#131) from the South Trailhead off FS 626 and Joe's Creek Trail (#137) from its trailhead off FS 394 are both Motorized to their intersection but not beyond. So you cannot legally ride to Tripod Peak or Snowbank Mtn.

Thanks for the PSA. Glad you didn't attack OP for his decision to ride that trail.
shrubitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:21 AM   #59
kwisn
One Happy Dog

Oddometer: 8,928

This look looks familiar.
No worries, it gets easier as you get older.

Yes, well, Im polymerised tree sap, and youre an inorganic adhesive, so whatever verbal projectile you launch in my direction is reflected off of me, returns on its original trajectory, and adheres to you. SC
kwisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:28 AM   #60
what broke now
Petroleum Brother

Oddometer: 1,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwisn View Post
This look looks familiar.
No worries, it gets easier as you get older.
It's even easier propped up against a stump or tree.
what broke now is offline   Reply With Quote