User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2013, 11:32 PM   #1
j__h OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
2005 Scorpa SY250

Looking to buy a 2005 2006 Scorpa SY250 it will be my first trials bike, but I have been doing lots of technical riding on my trail bikes.

Any issues that need special attention with this bike?

Are parts going to be available if they need replacing (I am in the US)?

What I want is a reliable bike and it seems this could be the ticket with the Yamaha motor.

j__h screwed with this post 07-21-2013 at 11:19 PM
j__h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:37 AM   #2
cnybetass
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Had many sys very solid bike.parts should not be a problem.Check to see if center exhaust is not cracked had a habit of doing that in that year range.They are a bit tricky to work on carb and motor but if you remove enough parts not bad.Good luck JR
cnybetass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:23 AM   #3
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,275
Parts are much better for Gas Gas, Sherco or Beta. If you are actually planning on competing. Just buying it for the Yamaha motor is crazy. It was a poor (not competitive) design when Yamaha made it in `92. That is why they had so many motors left over. Dependable ,yes.
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:49 AM   #4
j__h OP
Adventurer

No top level competition, Might try some of the lower level stuff but never see myself at an advanced level.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:16 PM   #5
motojunky
Professional Idiot

Oddometer: 1,072
I've had one for about 3 years. I think that it is a fantastic beginner/novice bike, and it has been very dependable. The few parts I have needed (consumables mainly) have been a non issue.

I spent a few hours on a new Sherco last week. I honestly think I'm better off having been on the Scorpa vs. something new like that. I also believe that at this point I would benefit from a new bike but I like the Scorpa enough that I'm not in any hurry. It's an easy, mild and forgiving bike.

Call Mike at the Tryals Shop and talk Scorpa for a bit before you decide. That way you'll know where you stand with parts as Mike is pretty much the only source in the US.
motojunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:13 PM   #6
j__h OP
Adventurer

The bike has now been bought, oh and it is actually a 2006. I am not going to be doing any Expert riding almost surely and even if so it would likely be time for a new bike anyways. I am new to trials but not new to technical trail riding but I have to unlearn a good bit of bad habits picked up from that (a riding buddy does lots of trials and he graciously allowed me to try out his bike).

Here are some pics of the bike:

Old 07-22-2013, 03:19 AM   #7
cnybetass
Adventurer

That is one clean bike.does not appear to have a lot of hours on it .Have fun.JR
Old 07-22-2013, 10:05 AM   #8
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

Oddometer: 822
Congratulations!

Nice looking ride!

And welcome to the dark side!
jonnyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:21 PM   #9
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,274
One good thing about the Scorpa... is there used to be a "long ride" seat and tank for these, maybe even available new nowdays? show up from time to time in places like our forum, but not very often.
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:23 PM   #10
j__h OP
Adventurer

It is almost too clean for me, I like to buy them pre-scratched.

I was thinking about the Long ride seat/tank but it seems very hard to come by and probably very expensive.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:58 AM   #11
motobene
Motoing for 43 years

Oddometer: 963
Wonderful looking bike! I had the yellow-black reed valve Rotax 250-based Scorpa. It was a heavy pig but I loved it. I watched and listened to a lot of Yamaha-based Scorpas, and rode one. I found them exceptionally smooth and mellow, which is great for learning.

A well set up older bike can perform very well, especially against a poorly set up or maintained newer model . Starting out with a not beat up bike is an advantage. Great setup and maintenance and you'll have a heck of a nice ride.
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:15 PM   #12
j__h OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnybetass View Post
Check to see if center exhaust is not cracked had a habit of doing that in that year range.
Had some spooge on the skidplate and yes indeed the middle box was cracked. I guess I need to find a welder to do this and file off the sharp part.

Found a relevant thread: http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/...er#entry149446

j__h screwed with this post 07-26-2013 at 09:32 PM
Old 07-27-2013, 04:21 AM   #13
cnybetass
Adventurer

Yes you will have to remove and clean very good before welder can get a good seal on the split.While you have apart check carb and your clutch slave cylinder is under there also.JR
Old 07-29-2013, 04:36 PM   #14
j__h OP
Adventurer

What am I looking for on the clutch slave cylinder? I already have cleaned the carb, it was gummed up and not idling well, which now seems good.

Also, is there any validity to the tank on these bikes having issues with Ethanol gas and shedding a white slime that can clog the carb. Might have to looking into getting AvGas, no non ethanol reasonably priced gas is available.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:22 PM   #15
cnybetass
Adventurer

Just figured while you had things apart worth looking to make sure everything looks good with clutch cly.you are right with the little white balls JR