Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-20-2013, 02:55 PM   #1
DKW1200 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Map upgrade help

Just upgraded my Zumo to CN North America NT 2013.4 from the Garmin website but MapSource still shows NT 2008. I have tried "transfer from device" but no change. I thought MapSource would pick up the map upgrade. What am I missing? Thanks for the help.
DKW1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:56 AM   #2
littlefield
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Search and download GarminMapUpdater. It gives you the option to download a new mapset onto the PC.
littlefield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 12:05 PM   #3
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,898
He's right. You can select to update both the GPS unit and the PC. That is what I always do.

Also, switch over to BaseCamp. It has been pointed out elsewhere in this forum that something about how roads are segmented changed in the more recent maps, and BaseCamp handles that correctly while MapSource supposedly does not.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:39 AM   #4
Hill Climber
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Update computer City Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlefield View Post
Search and download GarminMapUpdater. It gives you the option to download a new mapset onto the PC.
Have you tried this with Garmins latest update? I had to use a program called Garmin Express, as the GarminMapUpdater wouldn't kick in, and with the Express program, I didn't have an option to download to my computer... only to the gps internal memory. I wrote Garmin an email and here is their response:

The Express program really won't give you the opportunity to install maps to your computer when a microSD card can be used with the device.
The MapSource program that was previously used to create routes is being replaced with BaseCamp. This program reads the maps directly from the device and eliminates to need to store the maps on your computer.

DKW1200, check your gps map menu and see if the map is still the old one or did it take the update.

If there's a way to install to my computer, I'd love to be able to do so...
Hill Climber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:34 AM   #5
Emoto
Sure, why not?

What do you mean "GarminMapUpdater wouldn't kick in"? I run GarminMapUpdater like I run any other program and it works fine. You are not forced to use Express.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:14 AM   #6
Hill Climber
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
What do you mean "GarminMapUpdater wouldn't kick in"? I run GarminMapUpdater like I run any other program and it works fine. You are not forced to use Express.
I seem to remember that the Updater program would not update my gps, so Garmin advised me to use Express. If you're still able to use Map Updater and install to your computer, I'll try the next update on a different computer.

I'm also going to search out the comment made by Emoto regarding Basecamp processing map data correctly while Mapsource doesn't. I don't care for Basemcamp at all.... Guess I'm old fashioned.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:35 PM   #7
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Climber View Post
I seem to remember that the Updater program would not update my gps, so Garmin advised me to use Express. If you're still able to use Map Updater and install to your computer, I'll try the next update on a different computer.

I'm also going to search out the comment made by Emoto regarding Basecamp processing map data correctly while Mapsource doesn't. I don't care for Basemcamp at all.... Guess I'm old fashioned.
Ok, now I can't remember the details exactly, but you can definitely use map updater to do the maps on your PC. Then in BaseCamp you can right-click on your GPS (it'll show on the left panel when connected) and tell it to update the maps on your GPS unit.

If you watch the BaseCamp tutorial videos and work with it some, you may get to like it, as much as it is possible to like any Garmin software, because none of it is perfect.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:24 PM   #8
Hill Climber
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Ok, now I can't remember the details exactly, but you can definitely use map updater to do the maps on your PC. Then in BaseCamp you can right-click on your GPS (it'll show on the left panel when connected) and tell it to update the maps on your GPS unit.

If you watch the BaseCamp tutorial videos and work with it some, you may get to like it, as much as it is possible to like any Garmin software, because none of it is perfect.
Thanks Emoto... so that's how you update with Basecamp. In previous updates, you would have the option of downloading to both your computer and the gps unit at the same time. I'll play with it a bit and see if this old dog can get to like the new trick Garmin threw at us. Garmin software can never be perfect... they'd have to fire all their phone support staff then
Old 08-25-2013, 07:15 PM   #9
paulhdick
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
Garmin Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKW1200 View Post
Just upgraded my Zumo to CN North America NT 2013.4 from the Garmin website but MapSource still shows NT 2008. I have tried "transfer from device" but no change. I thought MapSource would pick up the map upgrade. What am I missing? Thanks for the help.
Make sure you have the latest version of Garmin Express which I believe is 2.2.20. You need to connect your GPS to your computer. Go to the "Device" tab then select "Advanced" and at the bottom of that screen it gives you the option to "Install" to your computer. Next time you do an upgrade remember to select this while downloading an update to your Garmin GPS. Garmin Express actually works very good IMHO.

09 R1200GS

Been riding pretty much all my life. Raced SoCal desert in the 60's early 70's.
paulhdick is offline   Reply With Quote