Oddometer: 131
Another deer face plant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Tq4YDlaVGw
Ninjafreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:43 PM   #2
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 2,384
I wish you were pro-ATGATT a little earlier.

When I was in my late teens & early twenties I'd regularly ride in shorts and sandals; good thing I was invincible!

I was out on a bike(pedal) ride w/ my girl a few hours ago, she was following & saw what I did not: at the bottom of a steep hill w/ a sharp left two deer jumped into the road just feet behind me. She almost plowed into them herself. Never saw them and I was letting it run...

Deer truly are a problem and with tall roadside weeds there is pretty much zero reaction time as you said. In recent years I am seeing significantly larger numbers than ever before, this includes time in the treestand; at dusk I've seen well more than 50-60 deer in a (maybe) 30 acre field. Frankly, I often hesitate to ride dawn/dusk since they ain't making airheads anymore- total one and it's forever gone!

Heal up, lesson learned.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:00 PM   #3
craiger527
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Glad it was not worse and you are ok. Very good advice about always wear your gear. I did a face plant at Deals Gap 3wks ago and my gear saved me.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:20 PM   #4
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,810
Great video!!! I'll have to show it to my bone head students who will not wear a FF helmet. Glad you're doing alright and on the mend. Sorry you had to learn the hard way, but I bet no matter how hot it gets, you'll never ride in jeans and a hoodie. Thanks for sharing that.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:53 AM   #5
PETDOC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,202
Ninja freak,
Thanks for posting the critique of your accident. I believe it may help others avoid a similar fate. While watching your video I thought "that could have been me." I started riding in the mid 60s at the age of 17 and retrospectively believe I avoided any serious accidents by skill and luck, emphasis on the luck. During my early to mid 20s I became interested in long distance riding vs running around town. I began reading magazines that featured that kind of riding (eg, Road Rider which has since evolved into Motorcycle Consumer News). The articles in these magazines were early advocates of wearing proper riding gear whenever riding and featured a lot of safety oriented tips including what months of the year deer strikes were most frequent and times of day deer moved about. Thankfully because of these articles, some books, several riding courses, and yes still luck I've managed several decades of safe road riding while owning 7 different bikes and covering several hundred thousand miles (different story off road).
Regarding your bike, my suspicion is because the forks are tweaked the adjuster will total it fearing the fork stem is bent. As disappointing as this may be you're a young guy and barring unforeseen circumstances you should have many more motorcycles in your future.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:33 AM   #6
OhBoy
Got Out

Oddometer: 994
ATGATT
Sometimes I get lazy and go MOTGMOTT
Your story and an experience I had yesterday are reminders to dress for the slide, not for the ride.

Almost hit a deer yesterday about 2 in the afternoon. I was coming out of a turn accelerating going 60mph when the brown flash appeared. No time to react just enough time to think WT and couldn't get the F out before a near miss. The deer slipped when realizing there was an MC approaching at high speed. Just missed, by a few feet, running over the rear legs.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:41 PM   #7
VolInGA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjafreak View Post
Glad you are OK and glad you learned a valuable lesson without suffering any more than you did. One point though, you say in the video multiple times that you are a safe rider, yet earlier this month you also posted a video of a top speed run of 104mph on a public highway. Not very safe, especially when you consider this was your first motorcycle and you have only been riding it since April (when you posted the first video of your then new bike).

I hope you really did learn as much as you claim. ATGATT and keep the top speed games off the road.m You were lucky it was just a deer and not a car, a kid on a bike, etc....
VolInGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:34 AM   #8
rob1313
Still learning

Oddometer: 4,302
Great video. Thanks for taking the time to post it for us. Just the fact that you took the time to do it tells me you've learned a lot from the experience.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:28 PM   #9
IndyChizzle
Spending more on gas

Oddometer: 691
Ninjafreak

Thanks for taking the time to post. I think it takes balls to admit when you screwed up; putting it on YouTube is more than I could have done. Keep learning (you are never too young or to old) and don't sweat the criticism... If everybody that had ever broken 100 mph was disallowed from posting in Face Plant, there wouldn't be anybody left.
Sincerely,
Chuck
IndyChizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:01 PM   #10
Bollocks
Farts with an Accent™

Oddometer: 4,905
You don't go to ASU do ya?

The Self-Preservation Society
08 Triumph 1050 Toight like a Toiger
Bollocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:05 PM   #11
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 639
thanks for making this video. they should show it in msf courses!
Old 08-11-2013, 08:07 PM   #12
kristof-lars
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
there is some big arguements up here at the moment about highways not cutting the grass on the side of the roads last time it was cut (on the main highways) begining of july and there are ALOT of dear up here, reason being budget cuts of course...some motorcyclists took to the media and they did a story on it after a few close calls, i hope that prompted them to get out there again

anywase good luck with the recovery ive never hit a deer with any vehicle little loan a motorbike!
kristof-lars is offline   Reply With Quote