Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2013, 01:12 PM   #16
ben2go OP
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byork View Post
Check out MUTAZU for a rack. I think they make them for less than $50 for your bike. I don't know what they normally go for, but for my vulcan 900 a rack can be costly. MUTAZU has my rack for $58.

http://www.mutazu.com/products.php?cat_id=22&menu=Honda
click on Honda Sissy Bars

Hope that helps! Nice bike too!
Nope.Just the passenger back rest.It's a replica of the yamaha unit which I have.Their 950 rack looks like the original yamaha rack,but mounts wider.I'm looking at a few on evilbay.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:59 PM   #17
Byork
Novice

Oddometer: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Nope.Just the passenger back rest.It's a replica of the yamaha unit which I have.Their 950 rack looks like the original yamaha rack,but mounts wider.I'm looking at a few on evilbay.
whoops just realized I said Honda, not Yamaha. Either way, it was worth a try. Good luck, keep updating and posting pics.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:37 PM   #18
ben2go OP
Moto Flunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byork View Post
whoops just realized I said Honda, not Yamaha. Either way, it was worth a try. Good luck, keep updating and posting pics.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:30 PM   #19
ben2go OP
Moto Flunky

I didn't get to make the trip I wanted to this weekend so I made short 150 mile trips close by between rain storms.SWMBO and the kid got home and now I have access to the camera once again.I hope to be posting up on the rear signal to three way lights conversion.I got some maintenance to get done also.

I'm thinking of making a thread titled,"Ben's crazy local trips around the foothills and mountains."Every weekend,I go for a ride, and sometimes through the week. I see some craziness and coolness.I should take pics and just post them to show people what can be found around the corner if they stop to look around.Maybe some will be interested enough to visit some of the places.I dunno.Just thinking out loud.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:12 PM   #20
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Hi, checking back in. Since last posted, had dealer put on new front tire and brakes pads. Oil and filter change with Rotella T. Bags on, sissy bar off, seat replaced with Saddlemen Explorer-great seat. Then did a run up to Robertson Flat past Foresthill near Auburn, CA...all well, bike ran and handled great and is really a little blast to ride.

Some photos:

gumshoe4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:59 PM   #21
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,984
For a touring bike I would definitely want a sissy bar, and a T bag for it. I use a tank bag, but that might not work with the tank top speedo. I would not take off very far without some kind of a plan to deal with a flat tire. It may be only a 650, but it is HEAVY. And to patch or replace a tube, you will need to get the wheel and tire off, which will require some kind of jack or stand stable enough that the bike won't fall off.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:42 AM   #22
ben2go OP
Moto Flunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
For a touring bike I would definitely want a sissy bar, and a T bag for it. I use a tank bag, but that might not work with the tank top speedo. I would not take off very far without some kind of a plan to deal with a flat tire. It may be only a 650, but it is HEAVY. And to patch or replace a tube, you will need to get the wheel and tire off, which will require some kind of jack or stand stable enough that the bike won't fall off.
I still have my passenger back rest.I am looking into rear racks.I have an idea for a jack.I have to some more research and see it I can get everything I need to build it.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:44 AM   #23
Byork
Novice

Oddometer: 229
Great Pictures! Good job on the bike.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:42 PM   #24
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Thanks!

And thanks for the word of warning, Jerry. I'm aware of your opinion on tube tires and I understand why, so I appreciate the warning. That notwithstanding, I still love the bike, I intend to ride the wheels off it and I got a screaming deal on it...so I'll just keep going with it...
Old 08-03-2013, 12:04 PM   #25
ben2go OP
Moto Flunky

Getting back to my build here.I received some goodies this past week while I was busy.I got my new rear red lens and the relays to do the 3 way rear signal light conversion.I also picked up a Bell bicycle clock with large display for $6.Now I need to disassemble everything to find out what style 1157 socket I need.I didn't know there was so many different styles.I counted 5 without really paying attention.I will need to order all my LEDs.I will need 9, 3 red 1157,2 amber 1157,#74 LEDs 1 amber for check engine light,1 blue for brights,and two green for signal and neutral.I also need to pick up some 16g wire.All I have is 10g and 8g which is to big to pass through the rear mustache signal mount and grommets.

In other news,I blew a rear tube so now I have an excuse to order new tires,tubes,and rim strips.

New lenses,clock,and relays.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:16 PM   #26
ben2go OP
Moto Flunky

I took a couple hours before dinner and tore down the V Star.I also forgot to add the pics of the new used regulator rectifier upgrade.I've done a few these on other bikes and they worked better than I ever thought they would.I have roughly 3400 miles on the bike since I bought it from a private seller.I did all the maintenance the week after I purchased it.Since the V Star is new to me,I am going to recheck and adjust carbs and valve lash.I've read that the V Star can go 10,000 miles before needing a valve lash adjustment.I am going to do mine since I need the bike torn down for some mods anyway.

Carbs aren't pictured.I have them drained and bagged till I can get to checking them out.I also have the tank and speedometer safely stored away.I have the fender off to give me a better angle to do the 3 way signal light conversion,since I don't have a bike lift.

Here is pics of the mosfet regulator rectifier.They denoted by the FH in the part number.Kits can be purchased with new units.I've never gotten a bad unit from ebay and I usually pay less than $50 with shipping for these.

The mounting area is a little larger than most but they will usually fit in the same location.I have decided to mount mine closer to the battery.I am considering making harness specifically to relocate and use these type R/R on the V Star.

I forgot to order a connector kit for the R/R.doh
Old 08-03-2013, 09:13 PM   #27
ben2go OP
Moto Flunky

I got some time after dinner to do a little more work and figure out the placement for the relay system for the 3 way signal light conversion.It appears that I will have to put the relay stack inside the battery box.There just isn't enough room in the hidden compartment behind the tag.I also pulled out the red lenses to see how they compare to the originals.They are the same except the red lenses have no markings on them.They fit just like the originals.I have checked out the stock 1156 bulb sockets and it looks like I am going to have to find two front 1157 sockets.I don't see them listed on the part fiche.I'll have to post a wanted ad on the V Star forums.I have also decided to remove the side reflectors and replace them with LED marker lights.I'll have to make brackets to hold them because of the way they mount.No big deal.I got some flat aluminum stock around here.

Luckily the fender and rear light wiring harness unplug from the main harness.So this simplifies the process some.I have some of these plugs put away in case I need them.

Here is where the fender harness connects to the main harness inside the battery box.I will be putting the relay stack to the left and above the red battery wire.there's more room there than the pic shows and I am using mini relays.My finger is on the fender harness connector.

See,these new red lenses look better than factory but still look stock.

Here is the stock 1156 bulb socket.It on has one contact in the center.

I need the front bulb sockets with two contacts side by side like this tail light socket.

Unfortunately,the V Star bulb sockets are keyed into the housing to prevent the socket from rotating and keep the bulb filaments oriented the correct way.

I wanted to use these generic ones,but I want to do this project right the first time and use Yamaha replacement parts.

I am done for the night.Depending on the weather,I hope to make some progress on the maintenance tomorrow and the relay stack.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:59 PM   #28
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Nice job. Waiting to see how the bike turns out when you get the mods done...
Old 08-03-2013, 10:42 PM   #29
ben2go OP
Moto Flunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumshoe4 View Post
Nice job. Waiting to see how the bike turns out when you get the mods done...
Thanks.Me too.I just hope the funds holds out.I do have all winter to complete everything.Maybe I can find some deals on farkles.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:45 PM   #30
ben2go OP
Moto Flunky

This past weekend was hectic trying to get things done for the SO.Then I wasn't well all this week.Doc couldn't give me any answers on why I feel so beat down and sick.I did have a generous benefactor from the C,C,& D forums send me a set of front signals for the 3 way signal light conversion.O ffered to pay him.He wouldn't accept.I'll be paying it forward when the opretunity comes up.Damn I can't spell.I hope to have them first of next week.I am still waiting for my connectors for the R/R upgrade.I still can't locate my damn wire terminal crimpers to do the connectors.I may have to break down and spend the money on a new set with dies.