Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2013, 04:43 AM   #31
philp38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,182
I just picked up a 98 a couple days ago. I was surprised at how comfy it is. It's actually a big bike for a 650. I bought it and brought it home did a service and a good detailing. I just listed it on Craigslist. If I didn't have 3 bikes it would be a keeper.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:48 AM   #32
ben2go OP
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,073
Nice.Looks a bit like mine.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:44 AM   #33
ben2go OP
Moto Flunky

Last week I wasn't feeling well and I had a lot of appointments so no updates.Over the weekend we had rain.We have rain everyday almost since the first of the year.So I did some research, and I found the wiring connectors for the relays I bought for the 3 way signal conversion.They are awesome!They interlock and can be mounted.I got add $12.95 to the cost for the conversion.These aren't necessary,but the look more factory correct than a bunch of female spade terminals covered with plastic.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:56 AM   #34
ben2go OP
Moto Flunky

I want to add some details to the relays and doing this conversion.

If you use the relays I am using,and do not use the connectors above,you will need .187 and .250 female spade connectors in the gauge size for your bike.Most use 18g to 16g.If you are using two wires in one terminal,14g will probably work better.Always solder these connections and don't skimp on the shrink wrap.The terminals for the relay connectors use a crimper with dies that is not really special, but it is designed to do the double crimps properly so the terminals will fit in the connector.I have either lost mine or it has been stolen at some point.I have to buy new ones and new dies.I was attached to mine because it was my father's (R.I.P.).

I do plan to do a separate write up on this for other that maybe interested in doing this.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:20 AM   #35
LynxSS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 474
This should put to rest any idea that the V Star 650 cant make a good budget tourer. I purchased mine new in 2007 and pretty quickly started doing long distance riding on it, with towns 100 miles apart in these parts its kind of a requirement to get anywhere. Soon my girlfriend, now wife started going with me on multi week trips around the surrounding states and we started expanding outward, sometimes gone 4 to 5 weeks. The last two big trips we had to take the car otherwise I'd have a lot more miles than the 53,000 on it now.

In order to keep our long trips affordable we had to do extensive camping wherever we could and cooking whenever possible which meant carrying a lot of extra gear. One of the things that attracted me to this bike is how long the frame is making it pretty easy to carry a lot of stuff. I now have a BMW airhead that I'd like to tour on 2 up but cant carry half the stuff I'm used to on it.

Anyway, good to see you on ADVrider ben2go, we'll make an adventure tourer out of you yet. Check out my blog with a lot of how-to's for this bike and a lot of our trips around the country. http://ziariderblog.com

Mine doesn't look much like stock anymore, these pics are old even more stuff has been changed since. Stone guard is for function though not looks, hard to see the dozens of big rock chips all over from our bad roads.

We have really got our money's worth out of this $60 3 man tent

Have to have my ADV stickers front and back

We often take collapsable fishing poles with us that shrink down to 18 inches and are easy to cary

Sometimes you need something a little bigger than you can carry on a bike though

You don't need an expensive tourer to see the country, plenty of cheap bikes many consider underpowered are perfectly adequate to get you where you want to go.
LynxSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:13 AM   #36
spinalator
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Big Fish!

OP, good work on the electricals, I always envy people able to dig into the wires and components like you do.
spinalator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:34 AM   #37
ben2go OP
Moto Flunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynxSS View Post
This should put to rest any idea that the V Star 650 cant make a good budget tourer. I purchased mine new in 2007 and pretty quickly started doing long distance riding on it, with towns 100 miles apart in these parts its kind of a requirement to get anywhere. Soon my girlfriend, now wife started going with me on multi week trips around the surrounding states and we started expanding outward, sometimes gone 4 to 5 weeks. The last two big trips we had to take the car otherwise I'd have a lot more miles than the 53,000 on it now.

In order to keep our long trips affordable we had to do extensive camping wherever we could and cooking whenever possible which meant carrying a lot of extra gear. One of the things that attracted me to this bike is how long the frame is making it pretty easy to carry a lot of stuff. I now have a BMW airhead that I'd like to tour on 2 up but cant carry half the stuff I'm used to on it.

Anyway, good to see you on ADVrider ben2go, we'll make an adventure tourer out of you yet. Check out my blog with a lot of how-to's for this bike and a lot of our trips around the country. http://ziariderblog.com

Mine doesn't look much like stock anymore, these pics are old even more stuff has been changed since. Stone guard is for function though not looks, hard to see the dozens of big rock chips all over from our bad roads.

We have really got our money's worth out of this $60 3 man tent

Have to have my ADV stickers front and back

We often take collapsable fishing poles with us that shrink down to 18 inches and are easy to cary

Sometimes you need something a little bigger than you can carry on a bike though

You don't need an expensive tourer to see the country, plenty of cheap bikes many consider underpowered are perfectly adequate to get you where you want to go.
I been on here for a while now.That's a nice star.I am a subscriber to your blog.I need to update mine and add some of this to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinalator View Post
Big Fish!

OP, good work on the electricals, I always envy people able to dig into the wires and components like you do.
Thanks.I am slowly digging through it.Most of what I do I research extensively before I commit any money or down time.I post reference material when available.I haven't finished up yet.I've had some set backs waiting on parts that never got shipped and school just started back for the kids.I hope to have this done by the time my tires arrive next week.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:59 PM   #38
LynxSS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
I been on here for a while now.That's a nice star.I am a subscriber to your blog.I need to update mine and add some of this to it.
Wow I have a subscriber lol. Thanks. Mine is similarly way way out of date, I start to work on it but when looking at the thousands of pictures to weed through over several passes to pick out the few best ones and all the writing it's a heck of a lot of work.

I'm now 4 big trips behind and have several technical articles in drafts that I need to finish, replacing the clutch, HID conversion, my HID aux fork mounted lights, gear reviews, R1/6 brake additions etc. Not to mention the pile of BMW restoration articles and pictures. Havent been able to sit for the extended time needed to write articles like I used to since getting married, oh well. I'm trying to get to it slowly. Eventually I'd like to do some camping and touring articles and maybe compile it all into a little ebook.

If you need any help with anything let me know. Good luck!
LynxSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:11 PM   #39
ben2go OP
Moto Flunky

Quote:
Wow I have a subscriber lol. Thanks. Mine is similarly way way out of date, I start to work on it but when looking at the thousands of pictures to weed through over several passes to pick out the few best ones and all the writing it's a heck of a lot of work.

I'm now 4 big trips behind and have several technical articles in drafts that I need to finish, replacing the clutch, HID conversion, my HID aux fork mounted lights, gear reviews, R1/6 brake additions etc. Not to mention the pile of BMW restoration articles and pictures. Havent been able to sit for the extended time needed to write articles like I used to since getting married, oh well. I'm trying to get to it slowly. Eventually I'd like to do some camping and touring articles and maybe compile it all into a little ebook.

If you need any help with anything let me know. Good luck!
Thanks.I know the feeling about keeping up with the blog.I'm not a good writer so it takes me a while to get out what I am doing.I'd rather work on forums because it's just like having a conversation with others.I can't seem to get that to come through in my blogs.

Oh,I bought the $69.99 HF moto lift jack today.I got a link in my sig line for it.I haven't had a chance to use it today.Maybe over the weekend.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:08 PM   #40
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 849
Great photos, Lynx. The VStar 650 is really an amazing bike. I'm digging mine, having owned it for only about three months now...it's amazing what it can do and I'm not going to worry about what it can't do...no es importante....

This is a cool thread...thanks, Ben!
Old 08-23-2013, 04:46 PM   #41
GETTHUMPER2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
My V* Bro's

Hi Lynx,
Hi Ben,
Lynx, very nice pic's, thanx for sharing, I envy you and Cece being able to travel the way you 2 do.
Ben, bike looks good and looks like you have done a good job on the "rehab" being as the prev. owner kinda let things go.
Just an observation, please check your saddlebags, in one of the pic's, they look like they are swapped left to right, the slant at the front of the bag should slant down rearward to help prevent the wind from pushing rain up under the lids.Hope I have not offended you, I know that you know what you are doing.
THUMPER>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
GETTHUMPER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:15 PM   #42
ben2go OP
Moto Flunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by GETTHUMPER2 View Post
Hi Lynx,
Hi Ben,
Lynx, very nice pic's, thanx for sharing, I envy you and Cece being able to travel the way you 2 do.
Ben, bike looks good and looks like you have done a good job on the "rehab" being as the prev. owner kinda let things go.
Just an observation, please check your saddlebags, in one of the pic's, they look like they are swapped left to right, the slant at the front of the bag should slant down rearward to help prevent the wind from pushing rain up under the lids.Hope I have not offended you, I know that you know what you are doing.
THUMPER>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Thanks.They were on backwards.That was the day after I got it home and had a chance to go over the bike.I removed the saddle bags because they kept shifting over on the exhaust.They have a melted strip down the bottom,but are still sealed.I may sell them if I build a set of custom hard bags.I was discussing it with my girlfriend tonight.

Hopefully,weather and health permitting,I will be close to finishing up the rear signal conversion.I finally got all the parts but it's either been to hot or to rainy to work on my bike.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:12 PM   #43
Sharkguy
chain lube applier

Oddometer: 185
Nice work on the electricials! I might look into doing that. For any of you that own the v star, be sure and read my tutorial on lubing the rear splines. You can find it on the v star ccd site http://www.650ccnd.com/shaft2.htm Many of these bikes were not lubed properly from the factory; also, the lube doesn't last forever. It's a quick pretty easy job that just might save you a lot of $$. These are really great bikes. We bought a 2001 for my wife back in 2002 and she's still riding it. The only problem we've had is having to rebuild the carbs due to not riding it enough.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:31 AM   #44
ben2go OP
Moto Flunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkguy View Post
Nice work on the electricials! I might look into doing that. For any of you that own the v star, be sure and read my tutorial on lubing the rear splines. You can find it on the v star ccd site http://www.650ccnd.com/shaft2.htm Many of these bikes were not lubed properly from the factory; also, the lube doesn't last forever. It's a quick pretty easy job that just might save you a lot of $$. These are really great bikes. We bought a 2001 for my wife back in 2002 and she's still riding it. The only problem we've had is having to rebuild the carbs due to not riding it enough.
Thanks.I'll be doing some write ups on the rear signal conversion on here,C,C,& D, and on my blog.I am slowly working on getting my bike done.I am waiting on tires,tubes,rim strips,and front brake pads.It's taking forever for bike bandit to ship.I seem to have ran though a patch of brad nails or small finish nails.Got both tires full of them.

C,C,& D on Delphi was the first forum I signed up for after I got my V Star.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:57 AM   #45
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:

I have been thinking of resurrecting my 650 classic, its been sitting in my brothers barn for 6 years, who makes that exhaust?