Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2013, 03:46 PM   #46
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Dug it out of the barn today, man was it nasty, spent the better part of the day cleaning it up. Only 19k on it, was purchased new for the sole use of being a commuter. Its a great bike, punking the 883 Sportster and FLT I had in every way except low end torque.Its a great riders bike, but kinda boring for an enthusiast.

Pulled the old dead battery and found one chewed wire, will pull the tank and carbs to clean out the old gas and varnish.trying to find the key but no luck so far. Hasn't been licensed or ran in at least 6 years.

Thinking of putting dualsport tires if I can find any in a usable size, will make a skidplate, and add a hinge to the rear fender like a WLA to ease rear tire repairs, a sprung solo seat, fender rack, will eliminate all the faux covers on the engine. its going to be an adventure classic.

I would like to move the floorboards and controls back if I can without major fabrication, will most likely end up painting over all the remaining chrome as its in bad shape, and it needs a new exhaust, a muffler went missing last time I rode it..

I blame this thread for motivating me to dig it out.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:16 PM   #47
Byork
Novice

Oddometer: 339
That's awesome. Can't wait to see how it ends up.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:46 PM   #48
LynxSS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
I have been thinking of resurrecting my 650 classic, its been sitting in my brothers barn for 6 years, who makes that exhaust?
Nobody now. These are made by Roadhouse which went out of business.

PS. finding dualsport tires for the rear is not easy. Almost nobody makes something for a 15 inch wheel. also you'd need to increase the clearance in the rear. I have banged up my frame quite a few times going through rough stuff where a cruiser doesn't belong.
LynxSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:27 AM   #49
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynxSS View Post
Nobody now. These are made by Roadhouse which went out of business.

PS. finding dualsport tires for the rear is not easy. Almost nobody makes something for a 15 inch wheel. also you'd need to increase the clearance in the rear. I have banged up my frame quite a few times going through rough stuff where a cruiser doesn't belong.
I did some searching and see dualsport tires simply aren't available in the necessary size, I got a $40 used muffler off of ebay after seeing what exhausts cost.
I used to ride it on FS and logging roads fairly often, that's why a skidplate is on my list. cranking the preload all the way helps.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:30 PM   #50
ADK
____

Oddometer: 8,052
Cool2

Geez, windmill, clean it up and sell or trade it for a dualsport would be more effective.
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:47 PM   #51
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK View Post
Geez, windmill, clean it up and sell or trade it for a dualsport would be more effective.
This is in no way going to take primary ride status away from my Ural.

I've already got it running, waiting on a $30 muffler off of ebay, will get a couple of tires, a new sear and rack, and maybe a few other things, this is a bare bones minimum expense project.

Theres so little trail riding left open in Western Washington having a true dualsport is fairly pointless, its more than capable of handling the logging and FS roads I normally ride.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:42 PM   #52
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Back together and running like a champ,
I don't care what the mean girls club says, Yamaha builds some outstanding motorcycles in their Star line. A 12 year old bike that sat forgotten in a barn for 6 years, and everything still works perfectly.

Stripped off the Faux engine covers, IMO it looks better without them.

Bungeed a tractor muffler in place of the missing one for testing.

Old 09-03-2013, 04:05 AM   #53
bdonley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
Stripped off the Faux engine covers, IMO it looks better without them.
Much better without the plastic falsies! I shoulda tried that with my 1100. that's one of thimgs that bothered me the most about it....
bdonley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:37 PM   #54
84blue
Its time to ride somethin

Oddometer: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdonley View Post
Much better without the plastic falsies! I shoulda tried that with my 1100. that's one of thimgs that bothered me the most about it....
That is a nice looking bike.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:43 PM   #55
LynxSS
Gnarly Adventurer

If using this for touring, aka greatly exceeding the manufacturer suggested weight limits like me, this is another good mod to look at some time:

Early year R1 and R6 floating rotors are a bolt on mod and do make a difference with EBC HH pads. This rotor I'm using is an aftermarket made by EBC for an R1/R6. I don't remember which years are compatible, the ones with 6 mounting holes ;)

Also you can upgrade to a 4 puck caliper from the weak 2 puck stockers, also a direct bolt on using R1/R6 parts. I took mine off because combined with new pads and new rotor this was a bit too much and I nearly ate it as I did a slight stoppie with a big heavy cruiser, rear end came up and then swung all the way side ways, if it wasn't for old dirt experience and riding out the then severe fishtail I would have gone down.

Thinking of adding the caliper back on now that the rotor is well broken in after 10K miles. Maybe over the winter

PS My lights visible in those pics that I always get asked about are from trail tech
Old 09-03-2013, 10:58 PM   #56
bootzilla
Blah Blah, Woof Woof

Oddometer: 553
Oh, man - memories of my first bike. You had to wind that sucker out on the highway, and it taught me that cruiser ergos weren't my thing, but that V-650 was fun, reliable as dirt, and definitely got a lot of positive looks in the parking lot.

5 Different Nachos
bootzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:58 AM   #57
ben2go OP
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 2,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynxSS View Post
If using this for touring, aka greatly exceeding the manufacturer suggested weight limits like me, this is another good mod to look at some time:

Early year R1 and R6 floating rotors are a bolt on mod and do make a difference with EBC HH pads. This rotor I'm using is an aftermarket made by EBC for an R1/R6. I don't remember which years are compatible, the ones with 6 mounting holes ;)

Also you can upgrade to a 4 puck caliper from the weak 2 puck stockers, also a direct bolt on using R1/R6 parts. I took mine off because combined with new pads and new rotor this was a bit too much and I nearly ate it as I did a slight stoppie with a big heavy cruiser, rear end came up and then swung all the way side ways, if it wasn't for old dirt experience and riding out the then severe fishtail I would have gone down.

Thinking of adding the caliper back on now that the rotor is well broken in after 10K miles. Maybe over the winter

PS My lights visible in those pics that I always get asked about are from trail tech
Thanks.To bad I didn't have this info sooner.I just bought HH pads and an SS line for my bike.I can see me doing this mod next summer.I push the weight rating but haven't went over it,,,,yet.
ben2go is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:05 AM   #58
nuggets
Fries with that?

Oddometer: 1,659
Is this the official V Star 650 thread? I just got one yesterday. A 2000 Custom.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:46 AM   #59
LynxSS
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuggets View Post
Is this the official V Star 650 thread? I just got one yesterday. A 2000 Custom.
There is a lot of good info out there, check out http://650ccnd.com for many how-tos and join the forum that goes with it, it's very active and many knowledgable folks on it who can tell you how to fix anything on that bike and many other non v star related things too.

There are a couple of other forums out there http://www.yamahamotorcycleforum.com and http://www.starbikeforums.com but the ccnd one is the most active and has done the most work compiling documentation.

Also quite a bit on my blog as well: http://ziariderblog.com/category/v-star-650/

First thing, change all the fluids, you don't know how long it has been sitting. And for good measure I'd clean out the pilot jets on the carburetors, those things get clogged extremely easy especially with ethanol gas if it's been sitting any time at all.

After that I'd check the splines on the final drive. Some of those early models can be prone to failure from not being lubricated from the factory. http://ziariderblog.com/2010/05/v-star-650-spline-lube/ Once they are lubed good and redone at least with every rear tire change, once a year is better, they'll last the life of the bike no worries.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:47 AM   #60
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuggets View Post
I kinda wondered about that too,

Perhaps I should have started my own thread rather than doing a hijack, hopefully the OP will let us know if were welcome to post, or if he would prefer to keep it about his project.