Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2013, 01:39 PM   #61
ben2go OP
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuggets View Post
Is this the official V Star 650 thread? I just got one yesterday. A 2000 Custom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
I kinda wondered about that too,

Perhaps I should have started my own thread rather than doing a hijack, hopefully the OP will let us know if were welcome to post, or if he would prefer to keep it about his project.

This started out as my build thread for up coming travels in 2014.The V Star thread is here. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=824009

I await parts I ordered a week ago or longer.I received my rear tire (180/70-15) and my new EBC HH brake pads today.I may switch over to a car tire next spring for traveling. http://darkside.nwff.info/?p=tires
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:09 PM   #62
nuggets
Fries with that?

Oddometer: 1,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynxSS View Post
There is a lot of good info out there, check out http://650ccnd.com for many how-tos and join the forum that goes with it, it's very active and many knowledgable folks on it who can tell you how to fix anything on that bike and many other non v star related things too.

There are a couple of other forums out there http://www.yamahamotorcycleforum.com and http://www.starbikeforums.com but the ccnd one is the most active and has done the most work compiling documentation.

Also quite a bit on my blog as well: http://ziariderblog.com/category/v-star-650/

First thing, change all the fluids, you don't know how long it has been sitting. And for good measure I'd clean out the pilot jets on the carburetors, those things get clogged extremely easy especially with ethanol gas if it's been sitting any time at all.

After that I'd check the splines on the final drive. Some of those early models can be prone to failure from not being lubricated from the factory. http://ziariderblog.com/2010/05/v-star-650-spline-lube/ Once they are lubed good and redone at least with every rear tire change, once a year is better, they'll last the life of the bike no worries.

Awesome, thanks for the info. Mine's been sitting for four years, so I will be pulling the carbs tonight. Runs, but drools gas out the overflow.

Ben2go, thanks for pointing me to the XVS650 thread.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:59 PM   #63
ben2go OP
Moto Flunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuggets View Post
Awesome, thanks for the info. Mine's been sitting for four years, so I will be pulling the carbs tonight. Runs, but drools gas out the overflow.

Ben2go, thanks for pointing me to the XVS650 thread.
You're welcome.The carbs on these bikes are super simple.When you pull them a part go ahead and replace the float valves,aka needle and seat.The spring loaded stems on the needles had collapsed on mine and made them weep fuel into the cylinders.I changed the oil to make sure no fuel was in the oil to cause wash down problems.Also,when you remove the main jets,get those little o rings out of there.Mine were swollen and blocking the fuel flow.It happens eventually if they're left in there.I used a flashlight and dental pick to get them out.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:11 PM   #64
nuggets
Fries with that?

Oddometer: 1,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
You're welcome.The carbs on these bikes are super simple.When you pull them a part go ahead and replace the float valves,aka needle and seat.The spring loaded stems on the needles had collapsed on mine and made them weep fuel into the cylinders.I changed the oil to make sure no fuel was in the oil to cause wash down problems.Also,when you remove the main jets,get those little o rings out of there.Mine were swollen and blocking the fuel flow.It happens eventually if they're left in there.I used a flashlight and dental pick to get them out.
Thanks guys. Got the carbs out, and have had enough gas fumes for today.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:43 AM   #65
ben2go OP
Moto Flunky

Just to let you guys know I'm still working on the V Star.Here's the fender portion of the 3 way signal light mod done.I am doing a lengthy write up on the conversion.It's really not difficult.It's not even that time consuming,if you're doing it without taking pictures and writing notes.If I was doing this without pics and write up notes,I could do the entire conversion start to finish in about three hours with sweet tea breaks.If a person can use a soldering gun and crimpers,it's a breeze.

I am awaiting the arrival of my front tire.Then I will undercoat the fenders and install them.So it will be awhile longer before I get finished pics of the 3 way signal light conversion.I'll try a video, but my camera suxxxxxx out loud.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62114923@N06/9719367580/
100_2227

I'm going to try and hide these wires a little better.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/62114923@N06/9716134881/
100_2229

ben2go screwed with this post 09-10-2013 at 10:15 AM
Old 09-11-2013, 06:13 PM   #66
ben2go OP
Moto Flunky

Just got an update from the shipper.Looks like my front tire has finally shipped.I got my tubes and rim strips today.We are expecting rain tomorrow.This weekend we will be working on my other house and prepping to move in.I am part owner of the property I currently occupy.The other owners are not sticking to our agreement,so we will be pushing all our money into the remod of my other house.I'll be finishing the v star as time allows and riding until I can complete the touring upgrades.Slow work is better than no work.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:30 AM   #67
ben2go OP
Moto Flunky

Everything has come in except my GPS case with bar mount.Now my son is out of school this week with a severe ear,nose,and throat infection.

100_2230
Old 09-16-2013, 12:26 PM   #68
LynxSS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
Did you buy a new set of carbs? I bet that cost a lot
LynxSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:08 PM   #69
ben2go OP
Moto Flunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynxSS View Post
Did you buy a new set of carbs? I bet that cost a lot
No new carbs.I had to do a valve adjustment check, since it had been 3500 miles.While the carbs were off,I gave them their 3500 mile check since I cleaned them last.They were spotless.I just need to adjust the float levels since the needle and seats have settled in and re-sync/balance them.Then it's on to tires and finishing the three way signal light upgrade.While I have the fenders off,I am going to undercoat them.I ride gravel and the noise of gravel hitting painted metal makes me cringe.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:03 AM   #70
ben2go OP
Moto Flunky

Finally!My order is complete and everything is in.I got my GPS case.I will be doing a review with pics and posting it in the gear section as soon as I get my bike back together for testing.

100_2231
Old 09-19-2013, 10:57 AM   #71
ben2go OP
Moto Flunky

Rear fender undercoating is done.It took two days because there was an issue.Not sure what the issue was but it's all better now,I guess.

Ready to get to work.
100_2233

Stripped of all parts,except the catch for the pillion seat and the stud.
100_2238

Not to bad nasty underneath.Gotta love shaft drive,until it breaks.
100_2237

Mounting holes taped up.
100_2239

100_2240

Taped all the nutserts to keep the coating out.
100_2241

Entire fender masked off.This coating is some nasty stuff when it hits paint.
100_2244

100_2245
Old 09-19-2013, 11:11 AM   #72
ben2go OP
Moto Flunky

Now it's time for the dirty work.I washed the entire fender with dish soap.I scuffed the inside of the fender with the green scuffing pad pictured above.I rewashed the fender with dish soap again and dried it well.Then I wiped the inner fender down with denatured alcohol.Next I gave the inner fender about five mist coats and let it set overnight in my out building.This is what I came out to this morning.I don't know what happened.When I left it last night.It looked fairly even.

The good side.
100_2247

The ugly.
100_2246

100_2248

I gave it a couple more mists coats this morning and all seems to be well now.
100_2249

I'll give it the weekend to fully cure.The can says 24 hours to fully cure.I will be busy the rest of today and Friday with appointments, and the weekend is supposed to be rained out.So no work until Monday unless something changes with the weather.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:53 AM   #73
ben2go OP
Moto Flunky

More goodness from the mail lady.She's purdy and sexy,but I man up and watch my manners.She thinks I'm a kid because she's about 20 years older than me.I'm 36.

SS brake line and balancing beads.I just changed my rear tire.I have got to change the front and wire in the relays for the 3 way rear signal conversion.Balancing beads are new to me.I have always static balanced my wheels.I hope to be riding this weekend.Oh,I also ordered a tachometer.
100_2256
Old 10-02-2013, 09:59 AM   #74
ben2go OP
Moto Flunky

Oh,this is what I found when I changed the rear tire.

Do not know what went in the tire but they went all the way through.These didn't get the tube.
100_2255

100_2254

These little bastards did make it into the tube.I haven't pulled the front wheel yet to check the tire.
100_2253

I am seriously considering sealing my wheels and going tubeless.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:50 PM   #75
GSXF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
I used to own a v star 650, great machine they are. From one of the dedicated v star 650 forum I learned to cut open up the air intake to make it breath better. Also mounted a pelican case on it and it looks great. Too bad I sold it and still misses it to this day...