Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2013, 04:28 PM   #211
violetpop OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawler07 View Post
Love it! good call on removing current wind screen for lo pro unit I think it will make a big difference.
I think it will be a must to aid the over all lines of the bike. I am also lucky as I am running and ace well digital dash which will allow me to run a lower profile screen with out the original style gauges getting in the way.
violetpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:36 PM   #212
violetpop OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
You mind me asking what steering damper that is?

I'd like one for my Mono, did the fork attachment (front) collar come fitted for those forks?
I was unable to find out the brand of the damper mate, I forgot to ask my guy but I've got a better picture of it for you. It mounts to the custom lower fairing bracket and you can see how the collar works also. Moves around with no problems. Should be interesting to test if it actually does anything once on the road.

Old 12-21-2013, 11:42 PM   #213
violetpop OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I also have some updates.... Got the bike back from the fabricators yesterday. Very happy with the work done. So with no time wasted, I have the tank a quick coat of white to test out my white colour idea and it looks bloody good! The pictures just don't do it any justice. I can see it with all black mechanicals and white tank fairing and cowl. It's a winner. Just for good measure I used some good old electrical tape to lay down some sort of a BMW M sport stripe although I'm not totally convinced on it.

I also pulled the heads off in prep for a top end rebuild. My automotive spring compressor tool was to being to get the valves out so I will get someone local to get them out and I will go over the heads, possibly and ever so slight port job while they're off the bike...

Old 12-21-2013, 11:51 PM   #214
violetpop OP
Gnarly Adventurer

1986 R65 Cafe Racer project 'Death Racer'

So despite a bit of carbon build up, everything seems ok. I'm considering honing the bore and a fresh set of rings as well as getting the heads serviced and running new gasket kits. Might pick up a little bit more out of the engine.

This cross hatching is consistent on both sides. I think it looks fine. Anyone think otherwise?

Old 12-22-2013, 01:35 AM   #215
digga
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpop View Post

Looking good Tony

Sex - the price women pay for Marriage.
Marriage - the price men pay for Sex !
digga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 12:51 AM   #216
violetpop OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digga View Post
Looking good Tony
Thanks mate!
Old 12-24-2013, 12:55 AM   #217
violetpop OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So I got the valves out yesterday and cleaned up the ports. I think I will send everything away to my kcal machine shop for proper cleaning and re honing.

I also got the pistons out and on closer inspection, I've seen this crack. Now, I'm certain that I did not drop it or miss handle it in anyway so it must of been operating like this. Surely this can't be re usable? If I was to track down another piston, would I be able to use the same gudgeon pin?

I also put some stripes on one side with electrical tape. I'm not really feeling them so I may just stick to white.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:27 AM   #218
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Oddometer: 1,758
I love the tape!
If that piston measures OK, you could break that bit out, and clean it up!? maybe weigh the two pistons, and take out a similar amount from the other side.
A bit cobby, but it will work, if the piston fits, and very cheap.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:00 AM   #219
big_mark
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33

Looking really good, but can I offer a tiny bit of positive criticism? If it were my bike, I'd tip the fairing back a bit so the line of the bottom of the fairing 'flowed' a little better into the line of the bottom of the tank. Since you are painting the bodywork white, that line from the bottom of the fairing, along the bottom of the tank, and on to the bottom of the seat pan will stand out. Other than that I'm loving your build and can't wait to see what it looks like when its all done.
big_mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 12:03 AM   #220
violetpop OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houseoffubar View Post
I love the tape!
If that piston measures OK, you could break that bit out, and clean it up!? maybe weigh the two pistons, and take out a similar amount from the other side.
A bit cobby, but it will work, if the piston fits, and very cheap.

You make a fine point. This is something I will consider. Thanks for the tip. I think it will be ok considering I did not drop the piston which makes me think it was running like that before I pulled it apart.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:08 AM   #221
violetpop OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_mark View Post

Looking really good, but can I offer a tiny bit of positive criticism? If it were my bike, I'd tip the fairing back a bit so the line of the bottom of the fairing 'flowed' a little better into the line of the bottom of the tank. Since you are painting the bodywork white, that line from the bottom of the fairing, along the bottom of the tank, and on to the bottom of the seat pan will stand out. Other than that I'm loving your build and can't wait to see what it looks like when its all done.

I'm all for constructive criticism so, thanks for your input :) I know exactly what you mean and it funny because at certain angles the lines of the tank and fairing flow well and on some other angles it looks a little funny.

The problem is, the lower fairing mount I got made is fixed is one position so even though you can adjust the top spider bracket it will throw out the position of the bolt holes for the lower faring bracket.

In saying all of that, I don't think I will be running with the M stripes rather staying with one solid colour. Looking back now, the fairing could have been a touch lower but for the low profile screen I want to run it may clash with the dash on top of the top clamp and clip on height. Again, many thanks for your input mate!
Old 12-28-2013, 12:44 AM   #222
violetpop OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So I got the bike stripped down and just about to pack all the smaller stuff in boxes as I'm moving house and garages... Progress will be a little slow in the next few weeks.

Old 12-30-2013, 02:14 AM   #223
violetpop OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Got the engine up on an automotive style crane. Should make it easier to work on now.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:13 PM   #224
xombiexplox
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpop View Post
So, with me being so new when it comes to this stuff, does removing one side of the rear swing-arm (I am so sorry I don't know what to call it!) and adding a stiffer rear shock compensate well?

I feel like taking off one side will put more stress onto the other even if there's a stronger shock there as well. I also only ask because I LOVE one sided swingarms. Such a clean look!
xombiexplox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:46 PM   #225
violetpop OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xombiexplox View Post
So, with me being so new when it comes to this stuff, does removing one side of the rear swing-arm (I am so sorry I don't know what to call it!) and adding a stiffer rear shock compensate well?

I feel like taking off one side will put more stress onto the other even if there's a stronger shock there as well. I also only ask because I LOVE one sided swingarms. Such a clean look!

Hey mate! This is actually a factory set up on post 86 bikes... If you want to do it, your best bet is to start with a later model bike :)