Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2013, 09:16 AM   #16
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
I don't know what the big deal is. Just about any sport bike over 600cc can do that without breathing heavy. If they weren't causing any danger to others (clearly they weren't, or they would have got more than a ticket), let them have their fun.
The big deal is that we have to count on people who obviously can not be counted on to ride in a safe manner! This is why we have laws that cater to the LCD!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:48 AM   #17
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
The big deal is that we have to count on people who obviously can not be counted on to ride in a safe manner! This is why we have laws that cater to the LCD!

Jim
If the road was empty, they were riding in a safe manner. If they were doing that around other cars, I agree with you, though.

I'm just assuming the road was empty, hence only a speeding ticket. Then again, maybe one of them had a Fireman's sticker on their bike or something? I know my CHP buddy has written tickets to LEOs and Fireman when they are doing something really dangerous.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:47 AM   #18
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:

Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
If the road was empty, they were riding in a safe manner. If they were doing that around other cars, I agree with you, though.

I'm just assuming the road was empty, hence only a speeding ticket. Then again, maybe one of them had a Fireman's sticker on their bike or something? I know my CHP buddy has written tickets to LEOs and Fireman when they are doing something really dangerous.
Again, we do not know if these guys were using good judgement or not. Traffic laws are not, and never have been, written for those who use good sense in their driving. They are written for the majority who, without speed limits, would kill themselves and others.

Whether or not these guys were doing their race track riding safely or not is irrelevant. They broke the law, and they got popped, as it should be. Without these laws the squids pulling wheelies down the freeway in rush hour traffic would be a hundred times worse.

Jim
Old 07-24-2013, 07:17 AM   #19
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,852
Quote:
Again, we do not know if these guys were using good judgement or not. Traffic laws are not, and never have been, written for those who use good sense in their driving. They are written for the majority who, without speed limits, would kill themselves and others.

Whether or not these guys were doing their race track riding safely or not is irrelevant. They broke the law, and they got popped, as it should be. Without these laws the squids pulling wheelies down the freeway in rush hour traffic would be a hundred times worse.

Jim
Yup!
'75 Kawi 900 Z1...'90 Kawi ZX11...'03 Kawi ZRX 1200...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:57 AM   #20
espacef1fan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
Were they breaking the law? Yes.

Were they being "unsafe"? Not enough info to tell.

Going 138 on a empty highway isnt that nuts. Who is to say they didnt run it through 3 gears and then let off? That can all be done in well under a half mile and just over a quarter mile.

You ever go 60mph around a corner with great sightlines when the speed limit is 45? You are just as much of a terrorist as these guys.

They broke a law( that is less about safety these days than it is money...) Any they got a ticket. End of story.

In other news... A woman has a baby!!!
espacef1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:42 PM   #21
Jake Mountain
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
I don't see the big deal, I do 60 around corners marked 30 all the time when the line of sight is good.
Jake Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:49 PM   #22
doc4216
Chronic High Fiver

Oddometer: 378
I-84 The perfect place to go 138 mph. Not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by espacef1fan View Post
You ever go 60mph around a corner with great sightlines when the speed limit is 45? You are just as much of a terrorist as these guys.
Agreed... Going 15 over the limit while tailgating someone's a$$ can be just as dangerous as excessive speeding on an empty highway.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:23 PM   #23
espacef1fan
Studly Adventurer

I just dislike people repeating the same garbage they hear.

Speed kills
Speed was a factor..

Usually its in attention or distraction the one/main factor. Next up its incompetence.

Speed doesnt kill anyways...its making a poor judgement about road/conditions/rider skills and stopping suddenly that kills.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:39 AM   #24
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
I grew up in N Jooyze and am familiar with 84 in that area, pretty wide open, and fairly low population density, how dangerous was it? probably not very.
On the other hand its highly illegal, more than 20 over is a an automatic suspension in many states, and that's not "about the money".

But regardless of any personal opinions about it, these particular riders got caught which proves beyond any question, they did not posses the skill and judgment to do it safely.

The only thing they deserve to be riding is the bus for a while.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:04 AM   #25
espacef1fan
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
I grew up in N Jooyze and am familiar with 84 in that area, pretty wide open, and fairly low population density, how dangerous was it? probably not very.
On the other hand its highly illegal, more than 20 over is a an automatic suspension in many states, and that's not "about the money".

But regardless of any personal opinions about it, these particular riders got caught which proves beyond any question, they did not posses the skill and judgment to do it safely.

The only thing they deserve to be riding is the bus for a while.

Well if they govt REALLY was worried about safety, advanced vehicle control would cover more than a passing sentence on "just steer into the skid and everything will be ok"

Instead I watch people use all of their concentration to pull a Smart car into a parking spot big enough for a Suburban. Im also watch people in 4 wheel drives fail to understand that while 4 wheel drive lets you accelerate better in the snow, it doesnt let you stop any faster...etc etc. I could continue but the common theme is the govt's view on traffic laws is revenue/ harrassment based more than safety most of the time..

Dont believe me, why are there 55 mph speed limits on stretches of rural interstate that should be 70 that can safely be navigated everyday at 80(the speed most people drive them at, well above automatic suspension...)????

Food for thought.

Highly illegal yes. Poor judgement, yes(only because they didnt play the game with a plan of how to not get caught)

Dangerous, like you said probably not very...so it really is about revenue or harrassment?

Should they have been pulled over? Yes, if I'm not allowed then screw everyone else...hahaha..
Old 07-25-2013, 07:09 AM   #26
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by espacef1fan View Post
Well if they govt REALLY was worried about safety, advanced vehicle control would cover more than a passing sentence on "just steer into the skid and everything will be ok"

Instead I watch people use all of their concentration to pull a Smart car into a parking spot big enough for a Suburban. Im also watch people in 4 wheel drives fail to understand that while 4 wheel drive lets you accelerate better in the snow, it doesnt let you stop any faster...etc etc. I could continue but the common theme is the govt's view on traffic laws is revenue/ harrassment based more than safety most of the time..

Dont believe me, why are there 55 mph speed limits on stretches of rural interstate that should be 70 that can safely be navigated everyday at 80(the speed most people drive them at, well above automatic suspension...)????

Food for thought.

Highly illegal yes. Poor judgement, yes(only because they didnt play the game with a plan of how to not get caught)

Dangerous, like you said probably not very...so it really is about revenue or harrassment?

Should they have been pulled over? Yes, if I'm not allowed then screw everyone else...hahaha..
You make my case for me! There is a safety reason for lower speed limits, and it is the LCD moron/incompetant drivers out there who will drive whatever the limit is, plus 10-20mph no matter what the condition/capability of their vehicle, or the road conditions.

Jim
Old 07-25-2013, 08:59 AM   #27
henshao
Bained

Oddometer: 463
Speed limits too often have jack shit to do with safety.
henshao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:27 AM   #28
hscrugby
"That guy"

Oddometer: 4,097
this is why I don't think I can have a street legal race bike again.

it was WAY to easy to blip the throttle, and later on from gps notice I hit 140-150 on the on ramp, etc etc before braking.

Modern liter bikes will do 80 in <3ish seconds in first gear 120 in <5 seconds and hit 150 in a quarter mile or less....
granted you know you are hauling ass to do that, but rolling on in third gear, hitting 120-140? meh...

(and for some reason my lawyer keeps sending me links to sport bikes.... I guess he needs more money.)
Old 07-25-2013, 11:30 AM   #29
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,044
What's so special about that? I'm doing speeds of 120...150mph every morning and every afternoon to and from work. With cars in front of, behind and besides me. Nothing unsafe to find there.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:40 AM   #30
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,481
So what.