Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2013, 01:31 PM   #31
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,110
I don't understand the obsession with what people do when nobody is around. If they want to endanger themselves, that should be their decision. What's next, sunscreen enforcement on beaches?

You kids stop wasting gas!
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:58 PM   #32
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 49,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
I don't understand the obsession with what people do when nobody is around. If they want to endanger themselves, that should be their decision. What's next, sunscreen enforcement on beaches?

Because, as has been repeatedly said, you cannot trust individuals to use good common sense. We do not know how deserted that road was, or if there were any entry points. At 138mph there is damn little reaction time for unexpected events.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:09 PM   #33
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,123
138 mph = 206 feet per second.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:22 PM   #34
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Because, as has been repeatedly said, you cannot trust individuals to use good common sense.
Wow. Just...wow.

It sounds like you and I are on opposite ends of the freedom spectrum. Maybe we should just ban motorcycles to protect people from themselves?

I don't know about you, but I want the option to endanger myself, and the possibility to fail. Otherwise, success means nothing.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:31 PM   #35
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:

Excuse me, we know there was at least 1 "body" around at the time. If they couldent identify and react to a traffic cop, what else could have been beyond their abilities to handle?

They got dinged, which proves they were over riding their enviroment, which is no different than over riding your line of sight.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:42 PM   #36
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Wow. Just...wow.

It sounds like you and I are on opposite ends of the freedom spectrum. Maybe we should just ban motorcycles to protect people from themselves?

I don't know about you, but I want the option to endanger myself, and the possibility to fail. Otherwise, success means nothing.
I want the option for you to endanger yourself as well. I just prefer for you not to endanger me along with you!

Having ridden all over the country, and been nearly run off the road countless times by dumb fuck drivers and riders, I'll allow the law to set some REASONABLE limits in the interest of someone not killing my daughter driving like a fuckstick!

Jim
Old 07-25-2013, 03:01 PM   #37
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Quote:
I'll allow the law...
We cannot trust individuals to decide what the law will be...
Old 07-25-2013, 03:15 PM   #38
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
We cannot trust individuals to decide what the law will be...
We don't! That is why we have elected officials creating the laws, and an executive branch enforcing them.

"I" allow this by virtue of my vote!

Jim
Old 07-25-2013, 03:19 PM   #39
henshao
Bained

Oddometer: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
Excuse me, we know there was at least 1 "body" around at the time. If they couldent identify and react to a traffic cop, what else could have been beyond their abilities to handle?

They got dinged, which proves they were over riding their enviroment, which is no different than over riding your line of sight.
"Other troopers farther east on I-84 were alerted and stopped the bikers in the neighboring town of Wawayanda."

They either blew past or outran the first guy. First time I read this I thought they should have been ticketed for staying on the same road after getting spotted.
henshao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:40 PM   #40
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:

Endangering yourself is like coloring with crayons, you may do it as much please, but if you engage in dangerous activities on a public road, or color with crayons in a library book, others get to have a say in the matter.

Sorry, its not all about you..................or me.

windmill screwed with this post 07-25-2013 at 04:27 PM
windmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:43 PM   #41
espacef1fan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 665
This is off topic a little but most of my rant is directed at artificially low speed limits...like on Blue Ridge Parkway... or many state and federal highways. Cars no longer have drum brakes on all four corners and bias ply tires....

Speed limits in congested/residential/urban areas seem to be about spot on though.
espacef1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:49 PM   #42
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Quote:
Because, as has been repeatedly said, you cannot trust individuals to use good common sense.
Quote:
Originally posted by JimVonBaden
"I" allow this by virtue of my vote!
Individuals who cannot be trusted cannot be trusted to vote.

I'm just messing with you. I just think there is nothing wrong with breaking a few laws in the name of fun. I really don't know what the scene was like where these guys were speeding. I rarely push that hard, and would not do it with anyone close enough to get hurt (or see me). If those guys couldn't see well enough to detect the cop, maybe they couldn't see well enough to be driving that fast. Heck, I wouldn't even do it if there was a billboard or bush that someone could pull out from behind.

Speeding on an empty road = good fun
Speeding around unpredictable hazards = reckless
Old 07-25-2013, 04:33 PM   #43
khager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Mountain View Post
I don't see the big deal, I do 60 around corners marked 30 all the time when the line of sight is good.

Not a big deal if there is no traffic. I can double most corners on my Wee-Strom. I understand a good GSXR, R1, CBR etc; Jockey can triple them. As long as you know the road. I know of one corner where 10 mph means 10 mph.
khager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:14 AM   #44
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by henshao View Post
"Other troopers farther east on I-84 were alerted and stopped the bikers in the neighboring town of Wawayanda."

They either blew past or outran the first guy. First time I read this I thought they should have been ticketed for staying on the same road after getting spotted.
Obviously you aren't familiar with that section of highway. It can be about 13 miles between exits in spots. Kind of hard to "get out of Dodge", when there's nowhere to go. Their "bad" for speeding where one can't escape the clutches of Johnny Law. That's why I always felt, uhm, "safer" rippin' on little back roads, easier to dash, less cops to begin with, and a helluva lot more fun.
As for their "awards", every once in a while you gots to pay the piper.

CW
'75 Kawi 900 Z1...'90 Kawi ZX11...'03 Kawi ZRX 1200...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:31 AM   #45
BryonLewis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by espacef1fan View Post
This is off topic a little but most of my rant is directed at artificially low speed limits...like on Blue Ridge Parkway... or many state and federal highways. Cars no longer have drum brakes on all four corners and bias ply tires....

Speed limits in congested/residential/urban areas seem to be about spot on though.
Don't try to use logic when figuring out speed limits. Apparently my car with 60-0 stopping distance of 110ft and .99G skid pad rating is unsafe going 60 mph compared to 3 ton dually towing a 30ft fifth wheel traveling at 55mph.
BryonLewis is offline   Reply With Quote