Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2013, 11:28 AM   #16
pretbek
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbone11 11 View Post
Good man

On a personal note, I have both a 996 SPS with a full 54mm Arrow system and a REAL loud clutch and a 748 with a stock OEM exhaust. The SPS is a svage beast and my wife says she can hear the rumble in the house when Im still 5 minutes out

Now, I rarely, if ever get cut off on the SPS....seriously. I recently got my 748 Biposto on the road. It had the stock OEM 45mm pipes with baffles. Nice enough sounding when the taps are opened up, but at idle, I could hear a mouse fart.

No word of a lie riding the 748 after the rebuild, I was getting cut off at least once or twice a day on the way to work. I have since installed a nice 50mm Termi half system, which although not as in-yer-face savage like the SPS, it definitely has a deep low end that gets heard by the cagers. I have yet to be cut off after installing the 50's......knock on wood.

IMHO, loud pipes DO save lives. F&^* the haters....don't see them comlaining about the Civic's rolling around with Cherry Bomb mufflers
I rarely, if ever get cut off on my motorcycle.

But, I have to admit, I'm LOUD as hell:
My white helmet, alien vomit yellow/green jacket and $20 fork lights really scream loud enough to get me noticed.
Paying attention to traffic's and individual car's movements probably also helps.

And hey, I don't piss of the general public by being heard in a radius of 5 minutes from where I am.
pretbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:30 AM   #17
Antiquar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
Those "fart cans" as I call them are every bit as obnoxious as loud pipes on a bike. The difference is, they don't make the general public hate every small sedan they ever come across.

A little girl, hid behind her mother's legs, absolutely terrified and clutching her ears when she saw me getting ready to start up my (quiet) BMW. I realized then that I never want to be "part of the problem." There are better ways of avoiding being cut off.
Yep! I was parking my xt550 on the street at a coffee shop on Saturday. Looking toward the sidewalk I notice a five year old boy eyeing me with a pitiful expression and covering his ears. It took him half a minute to remove his hands from his ears after I stopped the bike. I felt awful. Sorry little guy! I didn't mean to be loud.
Antiquar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:31 AM   #18
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by showerfan View Post
When I'm commuting in my truck, I often hear Harleys or Ducatis I can't easily see. Obviously, I make way.
I heard a "Busa" yesterday long before I saw him.
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:33 AM   #19
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
Those "fart cans" as I call them are every bit as obnoxious as loud pipes on a bike. The difference is, they don't make the general public hate every small sedan they ever come across.
No, those fart cans are worse, they are loud as can be.. and more often than not the cars are driven by idiots that thing a 96 Honda civic DX is somehow magically transformed into a race car, and neighborhood streets are a race track.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:58 AM   #20
Jbone11 11
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 615
My god...what kind pipes do you guys use over there?? I dunno about kids else where but kids here Love my Ducati's. I get waves all the time. Mind, they are both about 80db quieter than your average Harley bad boy. Pipes can be loud and not obnoxious at the same time. That is an important thing to remember when talking about the safety factor of exhuast noise.

Now... the clutch on the SPS with an open cover at a stop light....thats another story

Actually, I think Im about ready to put the closed cover back on the SPS as its starting to get on my nerves
2003 Honda Hornet 600 (SOLD)
1969 BSA Royal Star - Let the Resurrection Begin!
Jbone11 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:07 PM   #21
Jbone11 11
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretbek View Post
I rarely, if ever get cut off on my motorcycle.

But, I have to admit, I'm LOUD as hell:
My white helmet, alien vomit yellow/green jacket and $20 fork lights really scream loud enough to get me noticed.
Paying attention to traffic's and individual car's movements probably also helps.

And hey, I don't piss of the general public by being heard in a radius of 5 minutes from where I am.
Ride in Ottawa.....I guarantee it'll happen. Downtown Toronto....double your money. I've riden and driven all over this planet and riding in Canada is one of the more stressfull places...and for one reason: Canadians have no concept of bikes in traffic. Need proof.....Long way round....the only country both Charlie and Ewan got hit by another vehicle was Canada.....awesome
2003 Honda Hornet 600 (SOLD)
1969 BSA Royal Star - Let the Resurrection Begin!
Jbone11 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:07 PM   #22
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
Just popped into the library and was reading the latest edition of Cycle World when an article on conspicuity caught my eye....I'm always up for some safety advice.

This was among their measly 6 recommendations:

Only six recommendations and this was one of them? Glad I read that rag for free at the library.
so. what.
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:18 PM   #23
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,311
I don't know, a little boy afraid of the sound of a motorcycle, just doesn't seem right.

When I was about 5 or 6 in the early 70s I wanted to be a garbage man. Couldn't think of anything cooler at the time than getting to stand up and ride on the back of that loud ass truck. Fire trucks with sirens and horns blasing, it didn't get much better than that.

Kids today tend to be a little "softer" than we were in the late 60's early 70s.

I have gravitated toward quieter exhaust but I get a kick out of those who in one breath claim you can't hear them in todays modern cars and in another say you can hear them a mile away and all they do is piss people off. Either they are loud and can be heard over the ambient and surrounding noise or they can't. It doesn't go both ways.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:21 PM   #24
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post
Kids today tend to be a little "softer" than we were in the late 60's early 70s.
a little??
Quote:
Old 07-23-2013, 05:34 PM   #25
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
a little??
I was trying to be nice. What I ment and should have said is kids today are pussies.

Granted I don't have any of my own but the crap I hear from the women I work with is unbelievable.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:42 PM   #26
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
I was trying to be nice. What I ment and should have said is kids today are pussies.

Granted I don't have any of my own but the crap I hear from the women I work with is unbelievable.
Part of the problem is that the kids' parents are also pussies. Im sure most of the guys that are on here didnt have to option to be a pussy as a kid....
You dont gravitate toward picking up a 600 lb bike in the mud because you were coddled as a child
Quote:

eatpasta screwed with this post 07-23-2013 at 05:47 PM
Old 07-23-2013, 05:46 PM   #27
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

Try going back to college in your mid 30's... you will loose all hope for the human race when you see how demasculanated males have become.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:53 PM   #28
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnich77 View Post
Try going back to college in your mid 30's... you will loose all hope for the human race when you see how demasculanated males have become.
well here is the role model now....

here is the role model when I was a kid (or at least was my role model)

Quote:
Old 07-23-2013, 07:11 PM   #29
showerfan
i shower with my duc

Oddometer: 14
Bottom line is this: loud pipes have definitely saved some lives. They can also piss off your neighbors.

Ask yourself this, would you rather be alive with an angry neighbor or dead with happy ones?

What a retarded thread.
showerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:40 PM   #30
RedShark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,286
If you feel you need the protection of nuisance-level noisy pipes in order to feel safe on your motorcycle, then you aren't up to riding anymore. Go buy a Camry already.
RedShark is offline   Reply With Quote