Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2013, 07:41 PM   #31
outsidein
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretbek View Post
cleverly pandering to both camps.
One side will remember the "is probably true to some extent".
The other side will remember the rest in that blurb.
+1
outsidein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:43 PM   #32
steveWFL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,305
I mean c'mon....they save lives don't they?!

'99 ZX9R - because I like the other one so much
'08 ZZR600 minty
steveWFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:05 PM   #33
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 46,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post
I don't know, a little boy afraid of the sound of a motorcycle, just doesn't seem right.

When I was about 5 or 6 in the early 70s I wanted to be a garbage man. Couldn't think of anything cooler at the time than getting to stand up and ride on the back of that loud ass truck. Fire trucks with sirens and horns blasing, it didn't get much better than that.

Kids today tend to be a little "softer" than we were in the late 60's early 70s.

I have gravitated toward quieter exhaust but I get a kick out of those who in one breath claim you can't hear them in todays modern cars and in another say you can hear them a mile away and all they do is piss people off. Either they are loud and can be heard over the ambient and surrounding noise or they can't. It doesn't go both ways.
Because, of course, sitting in an insulated car at 60 mph on the freeway with the stereo going is just like standing ten feet away on a sidewalk on a quiet street!

It is that kind of thinking that has the general public up in arms about motorcycles and banning them from many communities!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:06 PM   #34
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by showerfan View Post
Bottom line is this: loud pipes have definitely saved some lives. They can also piss off your neighbors.

Ask yourself this, would you rather be alive with an angry neighbor or dead with happy ones?

What a retarded thread.
What a retarded comment!

Jim
Old 07-24-2013, 06:00 AM   #35
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Because, of course, sitting in an insulated car at 60 mph on the freeway with the stereo going is just like standing ten feet away on a sidewalk on a quiet street!

It is that kind of thinking that has the general public up in arms about motorcycles and banning them from many communities!

Jim
Hmmm....maybe I have better hearing than others or maybe I don't listen to radio as loud as some but when driving my 2011 BMW car at 60 mph on the freeway I can hear a loud motorcycle as it approaches before it reachs my rear bumper.

Only places in my area banning motorcycles are the gated beach communities where home prices start at about $1 million and go to $10 million+ range and are occupied by retired transplants. They also ban any vehicles with advertising parked overnight included in ones closed garage. Not any place I care to go.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:02 AM   #36
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post
Hmmm....maybe I have better hearing than others or maybe I don't listen to radio as loud as some but when driving my 2011 BMW car at 60 mph on the freeway I can hear a loud motorcycle as it approaches before it reachs my rear bumper.

You must have eceptional hearing, and are able to bend the laws of physics!

Jim
Old 07-24-2013, 06:20 AM   #37
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,470
I know for a fact of one indecent where relying on loud pipes caused an accident. I was riding behind a couple on HDs the guys wife was in front....country road....car starts backing out of a driveway....plenty of time for the rider in front to stop....instead she blipped the throttle to warn the driver....didn't work car continued to back out....then the rider t-boned her. Didn't hit the brakes till just before impact....lucky she was ok....just bumps and bruises..."she said later.....I thought she would stop when I revved the engine...." I left once I knew everyone was ok....let the LEO sort it out. I never heard back so I guess they didn't need a witness.

Offcamber screwed with this post 07-24-2013 at 06:33 AM
Offcamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:27 AM   #38
pretbek
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
Question for the "loud pipes save" people (the real ones, not the apologists who merely think it sounds great and need an excuse):

How many cars per day do you run into or accidentally cut off?

That must be horrific carnage, because almost no cars have pipes loud enough to be heard...
pretbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:29 AM   #39
jesse v
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post
Isn't this the rag with that Ari Henning guy that puts the loudest pipes he can on everything he tests?
That's Motorcyclist. (A much better mag in my opinion.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcamber
I know for a fact of one indecent where relying on load pipes caused an accident. I was riding behind a couple on HDs the guys wife was in front....country road....car starts backing out of a driveway....plenty of time for the rider in front to stop....instead she blipped the throttle to warn the driver....didn't work car continued to back out....then the rider t-boned her. Didn't hit the brakes till just before impact....lucky she was ok....just bumps and bruises..."she said later.....I thought she would stop when I revved the engine...." I left once I knew everyone was ok....let the LEO sort it out. I never heard back so I guess they didn't need a witness.
The pipes didn't cause that... Her lack of knowledge and skill did.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:33 AM   #40
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse v View Post

The pipes didn't cause that... Her lack of knowledge and skill did.

I think that's what I said....I didn't say the pipes cause the accident...I said relying on the pipes caused the accident.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:50 AM   #41
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by showerfan View Post
When I'm commuting in my truck, I often hear Harleys or Ducatis I can't easily see. Obviously, I make way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbone11 11 View Post
Good man

On a personal note, I have both a 996 SPS with a full 54mm Arrow system and a REAL loud clutch and a 748 with a stock OEM exhaust. The SPS is a svage beast and my wife says she can hear the rumble in the house when Im still 5 minutes out

Now, I rarely, if ever get cut off on the SPS....seriously. I recently got my 748 Biposto on the road. It had the stock OEM 45mm pipes with baffles. Nice enough sounding when the taps are opened up, but at idle, I could hear a mouse fart.

No word of a lie riding the 748 after the rebuild, I was getting cut off at least once or twice a day on the way to work. I have since installed a nice 50mm Termi half system, which although not as in-yer-face savage like the SPS, it definitely has a deep low end that gets heard by the cagers. I have yet to be cut off after installing the 50's......knock on wood.

IMHO, loud pipes DO save lives. F&^* the haters....don't see them comlaining about the Civic's rolling around with Cherry Bomb mufflers
36 years street riding, and I've ridden more than a few different bikes, without a doubt you will get "pulled over on" less with louder pipes than on something that makes no noise. PERIOD!
Everybody that say's "bullshit" is just being P.C..
I'm not talking about H.D. straight pipe loud, or those annoying as hell and very shitty sounding "MotoGP" type slip-ons on the current crop of sporty bikes. I'm talking "loud" as in something along the lines of a "bevel-head" with Conti's, my KTM 950 with 'Trapps, or my ZRX with a Muzzy header. Yes, louder than "stock", but not ear shatteringly loud.
Now, all you pansies with the tender, sensitive ear drums so worried about what every Prius and Subaru driver thinks, chime in and tell what a stupid, selfish, unfeeling scum-bag I am and how I and others like me are ruining everything for every other responsible motorcyclist on the highways and byways of this great nation.

Chris

'90 Kawasaki ZX11...'76 Kawasaki 900 Z1...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:02 AM   #42
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretbek View Post
Question for the "loud pipes save" people (the real ones, not the apologists who merely think it sounds great and need an excuse):

How many cars per day do you run into or accidentally cut off?

That must be horrific carnage, because almost no cars have pipes loud enough to be heard...
Have you been this dumb your whole life, or was it something recent, a fall from a ladder, hitting your head on a low-clearance doorways on a daily basis?

Your question is really too stupid to justify an answer.

Chris
'90 Kawasaki ZX11...'76 Kawasaki 900 Z1...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:09 AM   #43
Thanantos OP
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,364
Trolls will troll it's what they do.

You get to choose whether you feed them or not.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:41 AM   #44
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,296
I was just going to mention that I thought that particular article in Cycle World was one of the weakest articles that they've published in a long time. At least they still have Kevin Cameron and Peter Egan, who make the magazine worth reading even when the rest isn't very good.

Too bad that this discussion has degenerated into yet another argument about whether or not noise is good.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:25 AM   #45
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
You must have eceptional hearing, and are able to bend the laws of physics!

Jim
Serioulsy Jim...you really can't hear a loud ass bike when it is behind you and moving up toward you when in a car?

I'm in no way advocating loud pipes save lives. Just saying loud noises can be heard inside of car from sources behind....another example is a big 4X4 with huge tires...one can hear the droning of the tires before the truck passes.