Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2013, 09:29 AM   #46
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post
I'm in no way advocating loud pipes save lives. Just saying loud noises can be heard inside of car from sources behind....another example is a big 4X4 with huge tires...one can hear the droning of the tires before the truck passes.
Can be heard unless there is a loud stereo in the car playing heavy metal or something.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:27 AM   #47
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C.F.RIDER View Post
36 years street riding, and I've ridden more than a few different bikes, without a doubt you will get "pulled over on" less with louder pipes than on something that makes no noise. PERIOD!
Everybody that say's "bullshit" is just being P.C..
I'm not talking about H.D. straight pipe loud, or those annoying as hell and very shitty sounding "MotoGP" type slip-ons on the current crop of sporty bikes. I'm talking "loud" as in something along the lines of a "bevel-head" with Conti's, my KTM 950 with 'Trapps, or my ZRX with a Muzzy header. Yes, louder than "stock", but not ear shatteringly loud.
Now, all you pansies with the tender, sensitive ear drums so worried about what every Prius and Subaru driver thinks, chime in and tell what a stupid, selfish, unfeeling scum-bag I am and how I and others like me are ruining everything for every other responsible motorcyclist on the highways and byways of this great nation.

Chris
How would one then explain why fire truck with full flashing lights, sirens and horns blaring, still get cut off on a very regular basis?

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:29 AM   #48
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Serioulsy Jim...you really can't hear a loud ass bike when it is behind you and moving up toward you when in a car?

I'm in no way advocating loud pipes save lives. Just saying loud noises can be heard inside of car from sources behind....another example is a big 4X4 with huge tires...one can hear the droning of the tires before the truck passes.
Not until they are right next to my door. I drive with the windows up and music playing at a level that allows talking.

Jim
Old 07-24-2013, 10:37 AM   #49
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrnelson View Post
I was just going to mention that I thought that particular article in Cycle World was one of the weakest articles that they've published in a long time. At least they still have Kevin Cameron and Peter Egan, who make the magazine worth reading even when the rest isn't very good.

Too bad that this discussion has degenerated into yet another argument about whether or not noise is good.
Agree, and really hate the new CW format with many 1-2 page puff pieces, will not be renewing when my subscription runs out...have switched to "Bike" from the UK, much more expensive but worth it
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:18 AM   #50
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
How would one then explain why fire truck with full flashing lights, sirens and horns blaring, still get cut off on a very regular basis?

Jim
Are you now insinuating that a fire truck with sirens and horns blaring can't be heard from behind, as in the noise can't travel forward? If that is truly the case then fire trucks and police sirens should not be used since their sole purpose is to warn those in front of them.

The fact that a few people don't hear them doesn't mean that the vast majority of other drivers do hear them and head the warning.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:20 AM   #51
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Not until they are right next to my door. I drive with the windows up and music playing at a level that allows talking.

Jim
Well, as you stated maybe I have exceptional hearing but someone I doubt that is the case. Guess we will just agree to disagree.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:25 AM   #52
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,653
Sirens on emergency vehicles are forward facing....last time I checked most motorcycles exhaust to the rear.

If the real goal of loud pipes is safety then why not just have a horn blaring all the time??
Old 07-24-2013, 11:27 AM   #53
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by showerfan View Post
Bottom line is this: loud pipes have definitely saved some lives. They can also piss off your neighbors.

Ask yourself this, would you rather be alive with an angry neighbor or dead with happy ones?

What a retarded thread.
The neighbors are pissed off because Shit-for-brains insists on starting his/her bike with a fist full of throttle, revving the crap out of it a few times before they leave, and then blasting up the street at full throttle, waking up night-shift workers and babies and setting off car alarms. There is nobody about who might change lanes into Shit-for-brains at any of these times.

The safety argument is truly retarded. Use your f***ing horn - It emits the sound in the right direction and will get MORE attention from everyone who needs to know you are there. Use the horn sparingly because you know how to spot and avoid people lane changing or pulling out on you most of the time. Eventually you'll realize you hardly need it either.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride

slartidbartfast screwed with this post 07-24-2013 at 11:32 AM
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:30 AM   #54
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Are you now insinuating that a fire truck with sirens and horns blaring can't be heard from behind, as in the noise can't travel forward? If that is truly the case then fire trucks and police sirens should not be used since their sole purpose is to warn those in front of them.

The fact that a few people don't hear them doesn't mean that the vast majority of other drivers do hear them and head the warning.
You might be surprised at the number of times that people say "I didn't hear/see them!"

However, I am more insinuating that even if they could hear/see them, it doesn't seem to have any effect.

Jim
Old 07-24-2013, 11:35 AM   #55
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Oddometer: 3,204
I don't advocate loud pipes, but you can have more then one tool in your tool box. It doesn't have to be just learn how to ride. Sure you don't hear them 50 yards away. But I am not worried about the guy up there cutting me off.

No I don't have drag pipes. Not to many people actually do. On HD forums I do speak up about the need to not rev the bike up, not wake your neighbors, or have the loudest pipes possible.

But we also got alot of panzies that are just going to be offended. Some people get upset about the Jword now. I grew up you could hear cars. You didn't need a waring label back then, not to put your tongue in the fan.

foreign lands and alien birds, hear stories that no ones heard-D.A.D.

Helmets are like rubbers, you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't-Me.
Zerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:37 AM   #56
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Oddometer: 3,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
Use your f***ing horn - It emits the sound in the right direction and will get MORE attention from everyone who needs to know you are there.
With a Harley you can use the horn, those Jword bikes need to be quite, if you have any hope of hear their horn.

Some guys are installing horns. But for a horn to work you have to already see the guy moving over, or be able to read his mind. If you can see him, you may have time to react, and better if you are not fumbling for the horn.

foreign lands and alien birds, hear stories that no ones heard-D.A.D.

Helmets are like rubbers, you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't-Me.
Zerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:45 AM   #57
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerk View Post
With a Harley you can use the horn, those Jword bikes need to be quite, if you have any hope of hear their horn.
True - but if you're going to upgrade your noise-makers in the interests of safety, the very best loud horn is a lot cheaper than the cheapest loud pipe(s)
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:06 PM   #58
RedShark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerk View Post
If you can see him, you may have time to react, and better if you are not fumbling for the horn.
Better still if you are familiar with the operating controls of your vehicle.

I have several different bikes, with horn-buttons in slightly different positions and I don't 'fumble for the horn'.
RedShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:13 PM   #59
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShark View Post
I have several different bikes, with horn-buttons in slightly different positions and I don't 'fumble for the horn'.
So you've never cancelled the turn signal when some jerk was in the process of cutting you off?

For those of us who rarely use the horn - California residents in particular - the horn button is not always in our muscle memory for every bike.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:33 PM   #60
RedShark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,297
Only on the BMW, and only a few times...
RedShark is offline   Reply With Quote