Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2013, 03:51 PM   #61
khager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 769
I will say this, I am not a fan of loud pipes and definitely not a fan of HD, but I can't deny the fact, that I can hear them when they are cruising along in my blind spot on the FWY, whether I am in my cage, or on the bike with helmet on and earplugs in.
khager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:59 PM   #62
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerk View Post

Some people get upset about the Jword now.
Ok, now I have to ask. Jesus? Jackoff? Jam? Joy? Jutland? Jollifications?
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:22 PM   #63
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by khager View Post
I will say this, I am not a fan of loud pipes and definitely not a fan of HD, but I can't deny the fact, that I can hear them when they are cruising along in my blind spot on the FWY, whether I am in my cage, or on the bike with helmet on and earplugs in.
You and I must have exceptional hearing
Old 07-24-2013, 04:52 PM   #64
EricD10563
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 649
Not sure if it does or doesn't save lives but I've changed the exhaust on every bike I've owned since the 70's. Nothing to do with saving anything I just like the sound. I've yet to meet a person who changed their exhaust to save anything, I've met people who think it helps but that wasn't the reason they changed it.

Do you really think there are people who change their exhaust for the purpose of saving lives?
In 2009 I rode 18,589 miles on an island that's 72 miles long. That's 50 miles a day everyday for 365 days. I think I'll go home now. 90k miles and still riding http://travelwithe.com/blogengine.net/ my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTJA4CrFRY-_rvDejPct73g
EricD10563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:23 PM   #65
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricD10563 View Post
Not sure if it does or doesn't save lives but I've changed the exhaust on every bike I've owned since the 70's. Nothing to do with saving anything I just like the sound. I've yet to meet a person who changed their exhaust to save anything, I've met people who think it helps but that wasn't the reason they changed it.

Do you really think there are people who change their exhaust for the purpose of saving lives?
How about for saving weight?

It's pretty easy to save ten or more pounds with aftermarket slipons. People are claiming more than that for the KTM 990 pipes.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:16 PM   #66
EricD10563
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrnelson View Post

It's pretty easy to save ten or more pounds with aftermarket slipons. People are claiming more than that for the KTM 990 pipes.
Makes sense to me that people do it to save weight, add performance, different sound or look, maybe better ground clearence but haven't met the person who did it to save lives. Maybe there are studies that show loud pipes do nothing for safety but I don't think that will stop anyone from changing their exhaust. Harley riders seem to go to extremes and I once told a guy that I was glad I didn't live next to him. I like the sound of my bike but I've never been told it was obnoxious and I've seen the post (Harley Forums) whats the loudest pipes I can buy: WTF.
In 2009 I rode 18,589 miles on an island that's 72 miles long. That's 50 miles a day everyday for 365 days. I think I'll go home now. 90k miles and still riding http://travelwithe.com/blogengine.net/ my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTJA4CrFRY-_rvDejPct73g
EricD10563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:47 AM   #67
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Oddometer: 3,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-moe View Post
Ok, now I have to ask. Jesus? Jackoff? Jam? Joy? Jutland? Jollifications?
Jap

foreign lands and alien birds, hear stories that no ones heard-D.A.D.

Helmets are like rubbers, you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't-Me.
Zerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:50 AM   #68
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Oddometer: 3,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShark View Post
Better still if you are familiar with the operating controls of your vehicle.

I have several different bikes, with horn-buttons in slightly different positions and I don't 'fumble for the horn'.
Since you can't read minds, it is an action to hit the horn at a time, you should be focused on the car coming into your lane.

foreign lands and alien birds, hear stories that no ones heard-D.A.D.

Helmets are like rubbers, you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't-Me.
Zerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:52 AM   #69
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerk View Post
Since you can't read minds, it is an action to hit the horn at a time, you should be focused on the car coming into your lane.
So what you are saying is that being able to look for cars coming into your lane and hitting the horn at the same time is above your skill level?

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:53 AM   #70
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 593
Here is the thing, the horn is something that you have to think about then do. Your exhaust isn't, like others have said... you can often hear a bike in your blind spot and know he/she is there rather than seeing them. Your horn can't do that... unless you want to keep hitting it all the time.

As for the rest, who really gives a shit? Some people think its safer, some don't. Some think a loud bike sounds cool, some people think its idiotic... at the end of the day does it really matter? I mean really, it is worth arguing over? Unless someone can produce data, statistics, or some other unbiased information... then everybody is simply voicing an pinion based either on ignorance, bias, or personnel experiences... at the end of the day none of which are more valid that the other.

For Chuck Norris sake... you sound like a bunch of old women at a hair salon!
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:00 AM   #71
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrnelson View Post

Yep! Shaved even more off of my SE by going to a 2-1. And the LC8 sounds amazing when it is uncorked. Run a Remus w/o baffle and love the sound when I ring her out.

Pretty much have changed/modified exhaust on every bike I have owned. Some exhaust were, what I considered, too loud and did not stay on long.
hooliken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:07 AM   #72
Thanantos OP
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnich77 View Post
Here is the thing, the horn is something that you have to think about then do. Your exhaust isn't, like others have said... you can often hear a bike in your blind spot and know he/she is there rather than seeing them. Your horn can't do that... unless you want to keep hitting it all the time.
Although not a fan of loud pipes, I agree with this. I fail to see how a loud horn keeps you safer without also having all the downsides of loud pipes.

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:41 AM   #73
davethegoat
bahhh....bah...

Oddometer: 209
If a cage creeps into my lane, not only do I swerve to my escape route that I have already scanned for but I also beep my horn, flash my high-beams and use my directional signal all while chewing bubblegum. Therefore, I have no need for loud pipes. YMMV
Old 07-25-2013, 02:18 PM   #74
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
Although not a fan of loud pipes, I agree with this. I fail to see how a loud horn keeps you safer without also having all the downsides of loud pipes.
Obviously you fail here if using a horn has the disadvantages of loud pipes in your mind! (Unless you mean keeping the horn on the whole time you are on the bike!)

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:51 PM   #75
it happens
sh it happens

Oddometer: 122
Pissed

I have rode the Bro in laws HD a few times with his loud pipes saves lives. All I can say is I'm glad to get off it. After a bit the noise is enough to drive you insane. I also have been a driver of the big RED fire truck and I can tell you after 20 years of behind the wheel there are more than enough fucktards that have no problem pulling out in front of you. I have no idea how you could miss all that red and chrome with loud sirens and blaring air horn coming down the road at you. Maybe the lights are to bright.
it happens is offline   Reply With Quote