Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2013, 06:59 PM   #76
Thanantos OP
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
(Unless you mean keeping the horn on the whole time you are on the bike!)

Jim
Yeah, that's what I meant.

Again, not a fan of loud pipes, but I can see their argument that it's passive protection (always on) compared to a horn.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:05 PM   #77
Thanantos OP
Ride hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by it happens View Post
I have rode the Bro in laws HD a few times with his loud pipes saves lives. All I can say is I'm glad to get off it. After a bit the noise is enough to drive you insane. I also have been a driver of the big RED fire truck and I can tell you after 20 years of behind the wheel there are more than enough fucktards that have no problem pulling out in front of you. I have no idea how you could miss all that red and chrome with loud sirens and blaring air horn coming down the road at you. Maybe the lights are to bright.
As a medic and former firefighter I'm with this guy.

Also a reason I'm not a HUGE fan of loud horns. People do really weird shit when they get spooked (like when an emergency vehicle is approaching). Believe me, I've seen every type of reaction from dive bombing ditches to locking up the brakes right in front of you in the left lane to not giving one single fuck.

I'd be a little afraid what some old lady would do, mid lane change, if I rattled her windows with a fog horn.

Mostly because it would be unpredictable. I can predict people being bad/asshole drivers. The unpredictable is what really sucks.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:57 PM   #78
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,053
Why does this get rehashed so often?

There's no way around it, if loud pipes actually keep you safe, you're a bottom rung loser, and/or just too lazy to pay attention to your riding environment.

Some people don't belong on motorcycles, "loud pipes saves lives" is just their way of acknowledging what they are unwilling to admit.
"another tool in the tool box" maybe for people who think a screwdriver makes a good hammer.

FWIW, my bikes exhaust is louder than stock, but I'm not making lame ass excuses.

windmill screwed with this post 07-25-2013 at 11:08 PM
windmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:44 AM   #79
operose
Mama tried

Oddometer: 286
Laugh This guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
FWIW, my bikes exhaust is louder than stock, but I'm not making lame ass excuses.
This.

I've got a bike build going currently and it will be... quite a bit louder than either of my other bikes (which have stock exhaust). It has nothing to do with safety !
operose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:53 AM   #80
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
... if loud pipes actually keep you safe, you're a bottom rung loser, and/or just too lazy to pay attention to your riding environment.
^^^ The best and most succinct statement on the subject yet
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:43 PM   #81
henshao
Bained

Oddometer: 233
And I guess blind people don't step out in front of electric cars.
henshao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:53 PM   #82
Geolander
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
After reading this thread I put my stock exhaust back on my 450X this afternoon.

I feel bad for the people that live in the canyon I have to drive up every day listening to a modified, unbaffled 450X exhaust at 7:30 in the morning, and 11:00 or later at night.

I know the Harleys are worse than me by a long shot, not to mention the diesel ass holes... Be the change you wanna see in the world, right?

We'll see if I die next week.

Also; fixed my electric start today. Sweet.

Geolander screwed with this post 07-28-2013 at 07:57 AM
Geolander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:56 PM   #83
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post
Isn't this the rag with that Ari Henning guy that puts the loudest pipes he can on everything he tests?
Sounds like you don't actually know Ari Henning at all. His personal bikes are not race bikes.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:16 PM   #84
pigeyes
bilge rat

Oddometer: 71
noise=survive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by henshao View Post
And I guess blind people don't step out in front of electric cars.
BMW's aren't known for loud pipes but over the years all the baffles have been deleted from the mufflers on my old r100/7. I've asked lots of people, including neighbours if the noise level is offensive (and they own horses) and they all say that it's ok!
Two things; ever since the baffles have gone I've not had issue with animals suiciding in front of me (no, I don't rely on it ) and it makes me ride nicely (quietly/conservatively) in town. I've worn earplugs for years and to be honest when I can afford them I'll put some new quite mufflers back on.
mick
Old 07-27-2013, 03:17 PM   #85
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 46,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geolander View Post
After reading this thread I put my stock exhaust back on my 450X this afternoon.

I feel bad for the people that live in the canyon I have to drive up every day listening to a modified, unbaffled 450X exhaust at 7:30 in the morning, and 11:00 or later at night.

I know the Harleys are worse than me by a long shot, not to mention the diesel ass holes... Be the change you wanna see in the world, right

We'll see if I die next week.

Also; fixed my electric start today. Sweet.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:46 PM   #86
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Oddometer: 9,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricD10563 View Post
Do you really think there are people who change their exhaust for the purpose of saving lives?
There are indeed people who think a loud exhaust will save their lives, actually, yeah. I knew one of them before a left turning taxicab killed him.

Now before anyone starts trying to map out my stance, I'll make it clear right in advance. I am one of the most anti- loud pipe people you're going to find here or anywhere else.

But I will also admit that the concept of noise visibility is not a farce. It probably does help somewhat. Denying it, insisting it's useless because the NHTSA never verified it in a scientific study, whatever, is just stupid. There is nothing unreasonable about thinking that if you're making a fuckload of noise, people are gonna hear you and at least some of them might make considerations for you.

Hell, that's the basis for how HORNS work! Something happens, you honk your horn, hopefully you get a reaction. See? Noise... Reaction! Simple, right?

Now when I use the term "you" it is the royal you - the folks here who think loud pipes are a fine and dandy idea. It doesn't have to be you specifically, Eric, unless of course you think it applies...

So the problem with loud pipes on public roadways is, unlike a horn they are always making a racket. So the net effect is they make you a fucking obnoxious piece of shit who doesn't give a shit about the rights of others and has no place living in our society.

And I'm not really saying it to be mean. It's just the way it is.

Would you even dream of having your horn blasting all the time? No of course not. So what makes your exhaust system so special? What makes you feel so entitled?

If you have loud pipes you can attempt to assuage your guilt by saying things like "I tone it down in town". But all that does is make you ever so slightly less of a douche who thinks that people who live near hills or major roads should move so you can feel like your life is going to be saved by your faggy exhaust pipes.

Most of the people who end up being bombarded by your noise pose no threat to you. People in their homes trying to sleep, read a book, watch TV, listen to some nice music, do some work, talk on the phone or talk to their family without being interrupted every time some inconsiderate shithead motorcyclist goes by. People in schools trying to listen to their teachers. Patients in hospitals already facing an impossible cacophony of beeps, boops and dings from the telemetry equipment and the psych patients yelling down the hall. A family taking a stroll. Shopkeepers talking to shoppers. Folks at the beach or in their yards quietly taking in the sun. Even the occupants of the vehicles two lanes over or the folks going the other way on a divided highway. None of these people want or deserve the noise you are forcing upon them.

Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr. once wrote: "your right to swing your fist ends where my nose begins." You may not see it but that noise you make, that's your fist. And once that noise reaches my ears or anyone else's it is your obligation to pull it back. It is an intrusion and essentially an assault. It is not your right to subject people to it and it is not your right to insist that they be the ones to move, plug their ears, beef up their walls and windows or make any other consideration for it at all.

If you think your life is that much more important than the sanity of everyone around you then you need to find another country to live in. Someplace a little less democratic. Maybe the folks of Afghanistan might put up with your shit.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:53 PM   #87
Thanantos OP
Ride hard.

+1 for truth

AND they're faggots.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:30 PM   #88
EricD10563
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectaltronics View Post
There are indeed people who think a loud exhaust will save their lives, actually, yeah. I knew one of them before a left turning taxicab killed him.
Does he still count, just busting; sorry your friend died.
In 2009 I rode 18,589 miles on an island that's 72 miles long. That's 50 miles a day everyday for 365 days. I think I'll go home now. 80k miles and still riding http://travelwithe.com/blogengine.net/ my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTJA4CrFRY-_rvDejPct73g
EricD10563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:31 PM   #89
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,007
I had to post here. Check out my sig.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:46 PM   #90
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair View Post