Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2013, 05:01 PM   #91
Thanantos OP
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrnelson View Post
So who is Jason Bouren?
Lol. Nothing like calling your shot and going down looking.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:23 PM   #92
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
So who is Jason Bouren?
One of the Village People?:ymca
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:11 PM   #93
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 876
Quote:
So who is Jason Bouren?
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
One of the lost Village People?:ymca
Here he iz...

Old 07-29-2013, 08:22 PM   #94
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoBoy View Post
Here he iz...

Google sez:

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:34 PM   #95
Cdub!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
It's misspelled. I believe it's a reference to the Matt Damon movie. Jason Bourne.
Cdub! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:39 PM   #96
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,968
that's a needed P.C. answer as they promote all types bikes.
trust me that paragraph was well worded.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:14 PM   #97
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdub! View Post
It's misspelled. I believe it's a reference to the Matt Damon movie. Jason Bourne.
We know, we are just messing with Hair!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:49 PM   #98
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdub! View Post
Also three books written by Robert Ludlum, which are quite a bit different from the movies.

I knew what he meant, but he deserves ridicule for that comment, when the spelling was screwed up like that. Bouren?
Old 07-30-2013, 09:39 AM   #99
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectaltronics View Post

If you have loud pipes you can attempt to assuage your guilt by saying things like "I tone it down in town". But all that does is make you ever so slightly less of a douche who thinks that people who live near hills or major roads should move so you can feel like your life is going to be saved by your faggy exhaust pipes.

Most of the people who end up being bombarded by your noise pose no threat to you. People in their homes trying to sleep, read a book, watch TV, listen to some nice music, do some work, talk on the phone or talk to their family without being interrupted every time some inconsiderate shithead motorcyclist goes by. People in schools trying to listen to their teachers. Patients in hospitals already facing an impossible cacophony of beeps, boops and dings from the telemetry equipment and the psych patients yelling down the hall. A family taking a stroll. Shopkeepers talking to shoppers. Folks at the beach or in their yards quietly taking in the sun. Even the occupants of the vehicles two lanes over or the folks going the other way on a divided highway. None of these people want or deserve the noise you are forcing upon them.

Whenever someone says "I'm light on the throttle in town", my thought is yeah, thanks ... we get full benefit of the noise not living in town.

Some folks have no consideration or common sense when it comes to exhausts or lights, and fail to grasp that they can go too far. The exhaust on my bike is louder than stock, but its not loud.
Sometimes I can hear Harleys and sport bikes going through their gears for at least a mile or more when sitting in our house, that's just selfish.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:28 PM   #100
panorton
Charming as F**k

Oddometer: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectaltronics View Post
There are indeed people who think a loud exhaust will save their lives, actually, yeah. I knew one of them before a left turning taxicab killed him.

Now before anyone starts trying to map out my stance, I'll make it clear right in advance. I am one of the most anti- loud pipe people you're going to find here or anywhere else.

But I will also admit that the concept of noise visibility is not a farce. It probably does help somewhat. Denying it, insisting it's useless because the NHTSA never verified it in a scientific study, whatever, is just stupid. There is nothing unreasonable about thinking that if you're making a fuckload of noise, people are gonna hear you and at least some of them might make considerations for you.

Hell, that's the basis for how HORNS work! Something happens, you honk your horn, hopefully you get a reaction. See? Noise... Reaction! Simple, right?

Now when I use the term "you" it is the royal you - the folks here who think loud pipes are a fine and dandy idea. It doesn't have to be you specifically, Eric, unless of course you think it applies...

So the problem with loud pipes on public roadways is, unlike a horn they are always making a racket. So the net effect is they make you a fucking obnoxious piece of shit who doesn't give a shit about the rights of others and has no place living in our society.

And I'm not really saying it to be mean. It's just the way it is.

Would you even dream of having your horn blasting all the time? No of course not. So what makes your exhaust system so special? What makes you feel so entitled?

If you have loud pipes you can attempt to assuage your guilt by saying things like "I tone it down in town". But all that does is make you ever so slightly less of a douche who thinks that people who live near hills or major roads should move so you can feel like your life is going to be saved by your faggy exhaust pipes.

Most of the people who end up being bombarded by your noise pose no threat to you. People in their homes trying to sleep, read a book, watch TV, listen to some nice music, do some work, talk on the phone or talk to their family without being interrupted every time some inconsiderate shithead motorcyclist goes by. People in schools trying to listen to their teachers. Patients in hospitals already facing an impossible cacophony of beeps, boops and dings from the telemetry equipment and the psych patients yelling down the hall. A family taking a stroll. Shopkeepers talking to shoppers. Folks at the beach or in their yards quietly taking in the sun. Even the occupants of the vehicles two lanes over or the folks going the other way on a divided highway. None of these people want or deserve the noise you are forcing upon them.

Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr. once wrote: "your right to swing your fist ends where my nose begins." You may not see it but that noise you make, that's your fist. And once that noise reaches my ears or anyone else's it is your obligation to pull it back. It is an intrusion and essentially an assault. It is not your right to subject people to it and it is not your right to insist that they be the ones to move, plug their ears, beef up their walls and windows or make any other consideration for it at all.

If you think your life is that much more important than the sanity of everyone around you then you need to find another country to live in. Someplace a little less democratic. Maybe the folks of Afghanistan might put up with your shit.
Very well put!
Old 08-03-2013, 01:30 PM   #101
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Oddometer: 3,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post

Whenever someone says "I'm light on the throttle in town", my thought is yeah, thanks ... we get full benefit of the noise not living in town.

S.
I have said that. I live out of town, cause I don't like people. When I hear a bike or semi, or car, go buy, I think I need more acres and to live farther from a busy road. Having to see people is one of the costs of civilization.

When I nap during the day, I put ear plugs in.

foreign lands and alien birds, hear stories that no ones heard-D.A.D.

Helmets are like rubbers, you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't-Me.
Zerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:52 PM   #102
rpclark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Isn't it terrible the way intersections always have those quiet Goldwings and BMWs piled up.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:58 AM   #103
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Oddometer: 3,204
As opposed to what?

When the BMW annual meet was in town, people were complaining how much reckless they were, and I believe there was a fatality.

I remember looking and GL was over my shoulder. Obviously you should check. Your crossing the Dakotas you can get complaicent. He can't make me check my mirrors, but I even a little it of volume would help.

I am not old, but when I grew up you could hear cars, and lots of wannabe hot rods had glasspacks. We didn't poop ourselves. I have worked in steel mills and construction sites. So I guess loud noises just upset some of you office guys.

foreign lands and alien birds, hear stories that no ones heard-D.A.D.

Helmets are like rubbers, you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't-Me.
Zerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:24 PM   #104
maddiedog
PCX or GTFO

Oddometer: 261
After riding Deal's gap a couple of weeks ago and getting stuck behind some LOUD, slow Harley baggers that did not understand the concept of leaning, I took this very relevant photo of a sticker someone had stuck on a trashcan:

Ironically, there was an enormous group of Harleys parked near this sticker, none of which had the horribly loud pipes. I don't mind Harleys, or most Harley riders... But for every 10 good Harley riders, there is at least one buffoon with the stereotypical attitude or the stereotypical loud pipes. Frustrating.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:35 PM   #105
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 67,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by showerfan View Post
When I'm commuting in my truck, I often hear Harleys or Ducatis I can't easily see. Obviously, I make way.
Same here, I have to confess.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote