Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2013, 01:49 PM   #1
klimag OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Turkey trip questions

Hello

We plan (2 bike) a tour to Turkey in 2014. Istanbul to Istanbul 7 days max 2000km
The target to see the inland the country and avoid tourist areas or big cities.

Some questions below, welcome and thanks any advice/answers:

- Is it possible to ship the motocycles to Turkey by transport company and pick up in Istanbul and after the trip to leave there and transport comp. bring them back? I see that bike registration is serious at the border. So can be done without the presence of the owner? It's difficult?

- We would use low traffic local routes but in the same time try to avoid dirt roads (one of the bike is onroad bike Honda Deuville) - could it work to have this compromise. Local roads are still in good shape? (means tarmac)

- Areas to visit: With the time and km limit we would turn back around Kayseri. Any advice if the focus should be more to central or southern Anatolia, Black sea region, Mediterran region (non touristic part)?

Thanks for your advices
klimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:51 PM   #2
CourtFisher
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
Can't answer your specific question about Customs clearing bike(s) being transported, entering Turkey without owner being present. I suspect it
might be complicated (and expensive to arrange documentation to be
carried by transport company).

But if you are considering that option, with the extra expense of trucking
the bikes roundtrip from Hungary <-> Turkey, for a seven day ride, you might also consider simply renting a bike in Istanbul, or here:
http://bike-turkey.com/
in Gocek, on the south Aegean coast, with good air connections to the
nearby Dalaman International Airport.
From personal experience (and others), these folks are very competent to
help you arrange and map a delightful independent ride of interior Turkey
staying away from big cities.

Local Turkish roads are generally in good shape
CourtFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:17 PM   #3
Mark Manley
On my way

Oddometer: 598
Bike registration at the border is a very straightforward affair but I am fairly certain the owner has to be present as they write it into your passport.

They are having a massive road building programme in Turkey at the moment and many of the small roads are being upgraded to dual carriageway, your Honda will be fine.

The highlights for me were Göreme, Pamukkale and Eğirdir, all very touristy but interesting places and close together.

"You've got to think for yourselves! You're all individuals!"-Brian of Nazareth
Mark Manley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 03:34 AM   #4
Tancakar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
I am Turkish you can transport the bike to Turkey no problem as soon as the bike got full papers you will be ok. You need to talk with a delivery company to fly your bike to Istanbul. But Istanbul is huge city :) you won't like to ride there with bikes, if you are not turkish it's almost dangerous to ride or drive.
You can transport bikes to Izmir or Dalaman and travel the south of Turkey and I promise you will love it! From Istanbul to Izmir 8 hours with bike so if you tell me which places you are planing to go I can tell you . By the way in 2014 we are coming to Turkey with friends on the bike from London :) around May .
Tancakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:18 PM   #5
TassieMark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
It's a shame you can't scrounge a couple of extra days. I imagine riding across Romania and Bulgaria would be pretty spectacular. You can still ship the bikes home after the trip. Don't they have sickies in Hungary?
Cheers,
Mark.
TassieMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 06:54 AM   #6
EuBiker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Ride the Black sea coastline....excellent landscapes. also you can follow the great alexander's historic route until Irak i.e. gordian knot site at Yassıhüyük, close to Ankara
EuBiker is offline   Reply With Quote