User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2013, 06:20 AM   #1
doc4216 OP
Chronic High Fiver

Oddometer: 379
Bike cover becomes wind sail?

At work yesterday talking bikes with a newly arrived Chief who has an R1. He was asking about the lack of motorcycle parking or at least having cover for the multiple bikes on base. I told him of the ongoing fight to get at least a carport but that I generally just use my cover for normal rains or put the bike in the hangar for torrential down pours. Then he tells me that he will never use a cover because he has heard of the wind grabbing them and the bike ends up on its side?

Anyone had this happen or at least heard of it happen? Very curious now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-23-2013, 06:23 AM   #2
seatec
Dutch Transplant

Oddometer: 710
I used a tailor made cover for the R1 plenty of times when windy and never had a tip over. I think the trick is to not leave it un cinched on the bottom. My cover had Velcro strap and could be pulled taught.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:26 AM   #3
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,648
In a howling wind a bike can blow over without a cover so a cover would catch even more wind,the trick would be to have the bike parked so the wind is blowing it onto it's kickstand instead of off.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:49 AM   #4
Onederer
Crunch Nugget

Oddometer: 705
I primarily cover mine to delay sun damage. If there is a bad enough storm, I uncover it.

I have had mine blown over with a cover on, but not witthout. Tornado, hurricane or straight winds will blow over just about anything; I move it to shelter.

Rain is not something I consider covering it for. Typically would have to remove the cover afterward to let the moisture dry from the bike anyway or bare metal parts will corrode. It is humid after a rain here during the summer.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:13 AM   #5
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 2,947
Another thing to consider, a cover may cause more damage than an uncovered bike. I've seen a couple instances where the cover was rubbing on fairings and other plastic, where the wind moved the cover so it was like a high grit sand paper and rubbed some nice dull spots thru the finish.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:46 AM   #6
lnewqban
Ninjetter

Oddometer: 290
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc4216 View Post
Anyone had this happen or at least heard of it happen? Very curious now...
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...t=wind+knocked

Bad things:
-Open space
-Side stand
-Cover reaches high due to raised handlebar, mirrors, tail luggage, etc.
-Light bike
-Soft surface

Good things:
-Shields from wind (walls, trees, higher vehicles, etc.)
-Center stand
-No high parts or side areas in the bike
-Heavy bike
-Hard surface not soften by rain

lnewqban screwed with this post 07-23-2013 at 07:52 AM
lnewqban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:05 AM   #7
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,501
A cover that is not fastened securely, with the bottom closed up snugly, can definitely act like a sail if the wind catches it just right. I rarely use a cover.

Secondly, and there will be dissenting opinions on this, but a bike is much more stable against the wind on the side stand and not the center stand. Using a sidestand spreads out the triangle much further than a center stand and adds stability.

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:15 AM   #8
klebs01
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
I was at the Indy GP a few years ago and saw a bike get blown over due to its cover, It then proceeded to knock over a row of Ducatis it was parked by like dominoes. No other bikes without covers were blown over.
klebs01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:15 AM   #9
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Using a sidestand spreads out the triangle much further than a center stand and adds stability.
It depends on the bike. There is another factor beside the size of the triangle: the weight on that apex.

Some of the heavy Harley type bikes lean way over on the sidestand and have a lot of weigh on the stand.
But my KTM 990 is barely off vertical when on the sidestand. There is very little weight on it and it isn't secure at all. It is very easy to tip in the direction away from the sidestand.

If the stand stuck out farther there would be even LESS weight on it (think about the math/geometry for a minute) unless the angle of the bike on its wheels was increased. (If you took the existing stand and bent it out further, this would increase the lean angle and thus the weight because you would be raising the tip of the stand, but you wouldn't get that effect if the bike was built with a longer stand that stuck out more but kept the bike itself at the original angle.)

The KTM feels much more secure on the centerstand. There is a lot of weight on each leg and it would take a lot more effort to get either leg to come up.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:27 AM   #10
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
It depends on the bike. There is another factor beside the size of the triangle: the weight on that apex.

Some of the heavy Harley type bikes lean way over on the sidestand and have a lot of weigh on the stand.
But my KTM 990 is barely off vertical when on the sidestand. There is very little weight on it and it isn't secure at all. It is very easy to tip in the direction away from the sidestand.

If the stand stuck out farther there would be even LESS weight on it (think about the math/geometry for a minute) unless the angle of the bike on its wheels was increased. (If you took the existing stand and bent it out further, this would increase the lean angle and thus the weight because you would be raising the tip of the stand, but you wouldn't get that effect if the bike was built with a longer stand that stuck out more but kept the bike itself at the original angle.)

The KTM feels much more secure on the centerstand. There is a lot of weight on each leg and it would take a lot more effort to get either leg to come up.
Sounds like a poor design to me. With the sidestand like that you would never be able to mount the bike without the bike wanting to pitch you over to the right as the suspension compresses if you have the sidestand down. And, of course, it is not very stable on uneven ground.

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:38 AM   #11
henshao
Bained

Oddometer: 492
Just shorten the stand! If you know anyone who knows anyone who is competent at welding it's cake to cut the leg and weld the foot a little higher. There are other options too.
henshao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:45 AM   #12
viverrid
not dead yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Sounds like a poor design to me. With the sidestand like that you would never be able to mount the bike without the bike wanting to pitch you over to the right as the suspension compresses if you have the sidestand down. And, of course, it is not very stable on uneven ground.
I have spoken to other 990 owners who also would prefer the stand had more lean. On uneven ground I take care as to which way the ground in that particular spot is pitched. Sometimes it mean moving the bike a matter of inches.

I don't know why KTM built it like that. The bike is clearly carefully engineered even though any one person may not agree with how any particular feature is engineered. Obviously they must know what the lean angle is. The only rationale that I have come up with is that the bike is intended for use on mixed surface so was intentionally built to NOT have much weight on the sidestand to avoid having it sink into soft ground.

Or that, the stand being relatively long as it is on a high bike, and the bike being relatively heavy for such a high bike, that they don't want too much pressure on it for structural reasons and would prefer you to use the centerstand that comes with the bike. The sidestand is also unusually far forward. There are aftermarket brackets to relocate them more to the rear.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:47 AM   #13
henshao
Bained

Oddometer: 492
If they are calculating the ground pressure of the sidestand, I wonder if it wouldn't be much more effective (and possibly cheaper) to use less leg and more foot.
henshao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:48 AM   #14
viverrid
not dead yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by henshao View Post
If they are calculating the ground pressure of the sidestand, I wonder if it wouldn't be much more effective (and possibly cheaper) to use less leg and more foot.
I dunno. Anyway, it comes with a centerstand.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:28 AM   #15
PT Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 634
Quote:
lack of motorcycle parking or at least having cover for the multiple bikes on base.
So put in some anchor points for tie downs. Rent or borrow a hammer drill, use a concrete bit, and anchor bolts. Look official--no one will bother you.