User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2013, 09:19 PM   #1
Toshito OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Pissed XT250 crash into a car

I hit a car that was turning right on a one way (she was going to enter the street on the wrong way). I hit it at an angle, so my left leg got squeezed. After that I was going right at the sidewalk, and grabbed a fistfull of brakes so as to not hit anyone. When I got down I was already stopped. I was going between 20 and 30km/h.

I'm ATGATT (and I mean always, even in scorching hot weather). My boot probably saved my left foot, but could not prevent the 2 fractures. My pants were pretty useless in preventing the split in my knee. They split open right trough, but I only had foam inserts. If I had real knee pads, it would have saved the sutures.

The bike (from what I could see before getting in the ambulance) only has a busted rear turn signal, and a broken spoke on the front wheel. We'll see with the estimate.

Here's the video, nothing spectacular:
Toshito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:00 PM   #2
FirstPath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,253
Yikes...
I've been in the same position when they guy in front stops at a green light. Driver is lost as hell or too concerned about finding a parking spot.

Heal up fast!!
Old 07-24-2013, 02:33 PM   #3
bigflax925
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Sorry to see that you have the same asshat drivers up there that we have here.

Get well soon.
bigflax925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:38 PM   #4
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,819
I hope you heal fast.

I'm curious what the police report said about fault. I have been told it is OK to pass a left turning car on the right as long as you don't leave the roadway. The car also attempted to make an illegal right turn. Working against you is that the car didn't have a turn signal on when you passed on the right, but was just stopped in traffic.

I am not trying to pick on you or anything, but I always try to learn from the posts in Face Plant. If you still have a case pending, and would like me to delete my comment, just say the word.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:27 PM   #5
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,450
I'm mad for you. Did you ask the dumbass who they were talking to on the phone while they driving?

RZ Rob
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:44 PM   #6
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,256
Oh wow, really sorry to see this toshito, hope your pain goes away quickly and you heal up good, all my best.

keep us posted.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:26 AM   #7
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,378
Sorry you got hurt, but I would not have passed them on the right as fast as you did.
Cars always do stupid stuff like that, lost people make unexpected U and other turns.
I guess its normal to run risks in city traffic if you want to get anywhere, but it IS a risk.
I can see it happening to someone on a bicycle as well.

Heal up quickly!
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:48 PM   #8
Robus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Moral of this story: base your decisions on what the other driver can do, not what you think he's going to do.
Robus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:39 PM   #9
JOKER650
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,533
Hope ya heal up ok.
Here, It's illegal to pass a car on the right when it's making a left turn on a 2 lane road(1 lane each direction), also illegal to pass a car in an intersection on a 2 lane road.

Over 2000 plated dirt riders...Digg'n up the dirt every other day, all over BC

http://www.dualsportbc.com/
JOKER650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:20 AM   #10
jimhaleyscomet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Hope you heal up fast and complete. What kind of boot?

Thanks for sharing the video as it provides a good reminder on what can happen even at slow speeds.
jimhaleyscomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:18 AM   #11
zeeede
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 938
All those talking about passing on the right... looks to me like there are two travel lanes in the same direction (dashed white line down the middle). Both vehicles were in the left travel lane (parked vehicles obstructing part of the right travel lane. Also note the automobile driver change lanes without signaling at the very beginning of the clip). When the driver in the car slowed, motorcycle behind switched lanes to the right travel lane. Car driver then made a right turn (reportedly onto a one-way against traffic. No right turn arrow visible in the video) from the left lane across the right travel lane.

I would fault the driver of the automobile from a liability standpoint; however, much could be said about how the motorcyclist could have avoided the collision by riding more defensively. Then again, with a driver stopping at a green light for a one-way street, I might have also made the assumption that the driver was turning left without signalling and had stopped to wait for cyclists/pedestrians to cross. Especially given the driver's history of not signaling (evidenced ealier in the video).

Tough luck for the injuries, Toshito. Hope you heal up quick!
zeeede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:29 AM   #12
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 769
Toshito, sorry for your misfortune.

Hope you heal up quickly.

Your injuries sound pretty bad for a slow crash.

When I was at McGill, I lived on Milton, in the red brick house at the dogleg by Hutchison.

I would have seen this crash from our living room.

I really miss Montreal.

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:34 AM   #13
folknride
Old Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
Hope you heal quick!

Sorry you were so badly injured - I guess it goes to show what can happen even at low speed.
Despite the actions of an obviously confused driver, I think this crash was completely preventable. For me, an automatic thought that I use is "would I make that move if is was in my car?". Why would I risk life and limb on my bike when I wouldn't risk a fender-bender or ticket in my car?
The answer to my test question in your case was NO - there was no space for a 4 wheeler to pass. It looks like you tried to use your small size to zip around an annoying cager - saving a full 30 seconds of travel time - with a bad result. You had lots of room to stop and didn't know why the brake lights went on - could have been a child running in front of the car.
I'm assuming (apologies if I'm wrong) that that is your horn we hear before the crash. That's kind of a surprising reaction (to me) - I hope I would have been concentrating on avoidance.
Thanks for posting and reminding us that using our small footprint to move around slower traffic can really bite your ass.
folknride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:43 PM   #14
ZEmann
want to be riding

Oddometer: 641
I know you didn't post the video to get bagged on but I agree with some of these guys
From a drivers view

driver may have known where you were or just checked their mirrors , rear-view= motorcycle
right hand side mirror = clear to turn

yes they made an illegal right turn however you didn't do anything to enhance your visibility with that Ninja like lane change ( that may have been an illegal lane change ?)

when someone is lost you can almost tell that a u turn ,stupid maneuver, full stop for no reason is a possibility

Heal quick !

ZEmann screwed with this post 07-27-2013 at 02:00 PM
ZEmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:29 AM   #15
sierraoffroad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,326
i would have slowed down and waited to see what the car in front was going to do completely: maybe turn right the wrongway, but then suddenly turn left alomst making a full circle in the road in front of me. i've had it happen many times in front of me to know that it's best to wait. i hate being stuck behind cars on my commute home, but it can be a safer than in front especially when they are texting and dont stop as fast as you can.
sierraoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote