Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2013, 10:26 AM   #16
HanzoSteel
n00bish

Oddometer: 716
Glad it was nothing serious, ATGATT or it could have been alot worse.

I like how people are standing there nonchalantly like they are looking at a art exhibit...
Old 08-06-2013, 07:24 AM   #17
zeeede
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraoffroad View Post
i would have slowed down and waited to see what the car in front was going to do completely... i hate being stuck behind cars on my commute home, but it can be a safer than in front especially when they are texting and dont stop as fast as you can.
In circumstances like this I usually give 'em the old "Boston Hello" by leaning on my horn until it's obvious where they're going... Usually it's the out-of-state plates from Indiana or Missouri or something driving like this. Some healthy horn action is needed to remind 'em they're in the real world now!
zeeede is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:59 PM   #18
jfman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 777
Tabarnak!

2012 Versys 1000
Tour of the American West 2013
Alaska 2014: Hotel Budget Zero
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:03 PM   #19
tennyis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
also curious who was at fault, I would think it was pretty equal. I appreciate the video as a new rider it's always nice to learn.
tennyis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:42 AM   #20
jimhaleyscomet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Thanks for posting

Thanks for posting your video. It really does help the rest of us even if it does open you up for a bit of armchair analysis.

I too am curious about what kind of boots you were wearing. And the "foam" knee inserts. Were they thick "CE" approved knee armor typically found in riding jeans or were they lighter than that?

Thanks again. You have made my riding a bit safer.
jimhaleyscomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:50 PM   #21
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeede View Post
In circumstances like this I usually give 'em the old "Boston Hello" by leaning on my horn until it's obvious where they're going... Usually it's the out-of-state plates from Indiana or Missouri or something driving like this. Some healthy horn action is needed to remind 'em they're in the real world now!
Precisely why you should ditch the stock horn & put an aftermarket blaster on your bike.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:11 PM   #22
srelegante
srelegante

Oddometer: 177
Heal up!

So glad you were not hurt worse.

I got clobbered in my car on Monday by an Atlanta soccer mom. Luckily no injuries. I have had some time to consider my reaction on the bike.

Heal up!

ATGATT

SE
srelegante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:01 PM   #23
Toshito OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennyis View Post
also curious who was at fault, I would think it was pretty equal. I appreciate the video as a new rider it's always nice to learn.
It was determined that I was not at fault. Because she turned right without using her turn signal, and the she was going to turn on a one way street the wrong way. So no deductible for me.
Toshito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:06 PM   #24
Toshito OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhaleyscomet View Post
Thanks for posting your video. It really does help the rest of us even if it does open you up for a bit of armchair analysis.

I too am curious about what kind of boots you were wearing. And the "foam" knee inserts. Were they thick "CE" approved knee armor typically found in riding jeans or were they lighter than that?

Thanks again. You have made my riding a bit safer.
Boots were "Tourmaster Solution waterproof road boots". I'm convinced that they reduced the injury a lot, even if they couldn't prevent the fractures. My foot got jammed between a car and my motorcycle, and probably bended down around the foot peg (at least that's what I think happened). Any suggestion for my next boots?

I will post a picture of my pants, the foam pad wasn't CE approved. The pants were "FirstGear HT Air 2.0 Overpants".
Old 08-21-2013, 06:07 PM   #25
Toshito OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Tabarnak!
Oui! Tabarnak de câlisse d'ostie, en effet!
Old 08-21-2013, 06:23 PM   #26
Toshito OP
Adventurer

Update

Yesterday I had another x-ray showing that the fractures are healing properly. I can now walk without my plastic boot (brace?). My knee is still hurting, and the side is a little numb.

My bike has been repaired, total cost : 952$ (all paid by my insurance, I have full coverage). No deductible because it was determined that I was not at fault.

Towing (recovery, storage and transport to the yamaha dealer) was an aditionnal 600$. Paid by insurance.

I had 4 weeks out of work, paid in part by our public road insurance, the SAAQ, and the remainder (100% of my salary for the first 10 days, then up to 85% for the remainder) by my work insurance. All medical expenses (ambulance, treatment, etc.) paid by the SAAQ and our free health care. I will even be compensated for the scar on my knee and my gas expenses for each time I go to the doctor.

And I can replace my protective equipment (for me it will be my boots and pants) for up to 1000$, paid by the SAAQ.

So total cost for me so far: a lot of pain, wasted time, wasted vacations (for my kids too...), and 15% of my salary for 2 weeks.

I just hope that there will be no permanent problems with my left foot and knee...

I am now thinking about my future as a biker. I had to ask for a lot of favors from friends/family in the last month, and I have to evaluate if the joy of riding is enough to compensate for the risks it poses to myself, and the aditionnal workload I could potentially impose on my entourage. Including my kids, who had shitty vacations this summer because of me. I have to work this out, but I currently feel selfish for doing this kind of activity. Hard to explain.

For now my position is no more commuting on my bike. Montreal traffic at rush hour is mad, and you're very exposed on a motorcycle. Mind you, this accident could have occured on a pedal bike, but still...

So call me a pussy if you want, I don't care! I will still love you all, you are a wonderful community

I always dreamed about piloting an airplane, these are much safer, no?
Old 09-02-2013, 08:08 PM   #27
T4EaterJonny
Not too hip...

Oddometer: 63
Shouldn't EVER pass on the right.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:19 PM   #28
ZEmann
want to be riding

Oddometer: 636
it was a bad move for sure

as far as rethinking your riding career if you would have been more defensive and not as aggravated by the lost driver this would not have happened ( not saying I wouldn't have done the same in your boots )
but as you well know the next time you may not even see it unfolding before you

I basically choose to avoid traffic and streets anymore and just tool around or hit trails

Heal fast and I am glad you were compensated so thoroughly
ZEmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:30 PM   #29
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by T4EaterJonny View Post

Shouldn't EVER pass on the right.

Tabarnak de câlisse d'ostie!!

NEVER pass on the right?

Screw that.

If you ride in large cities, or on Interstates, you will eventually need to break that rule.

The silly cow was making an illegal turn onto a one-way, THE WRONG WAY.

WTF.

I rode a quick 70 miles downtown to see my Dad today.

Lots of that was on a 16 lane Free-for-all-way.

Not passing fucktards sleeping in the left lane was simply not an option.

It was either pass on the right...

Or on the left shoulder.

The latter really pisses off the man.

DAMHIK.

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:07 PM   #30
jfman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 777
Dogsrohte is right. When you live in a city with a crap ton of surbanites driving around not knwoing where the hell they are going you enventualy have to filter around these idiots. Maybe next time a friendly honk from the horn as you are passing will help. But I see this all the time when peoe are looking for a parking spot they be ome dumber than a bag of rocks.

2012 Versys 1000
Tour of the American West 2013
Alaska 2014: Hotel Budget Zero
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote