User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2013, 05:44 AM   #1
Heyload OP
Remastered Classic

Oddometer: 7,646
Hate to see this sort of thing..

Guy just purchased his first bike, no experience, insisted on riding it home from the dealership.

Rider killed leaving dealership

It highlights what I've seen as a growing trend in San Antonio, alot of riders that seem very inexperienced, or riding in a fashion that reflects little to no regard for traffic laws or safety.

Just the other day I witnessed a group of sportbike riders do something incredibly stupid. They were stopped at a stop light behind another vehicle. As a group, they suddenly pulled around the vehicle in front of them and then ripped through the intersection, running the red light. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Another sportbike rider just the other day, weaving in and out of traffic at a speed considerably over the speedlimit.

What the hell is going on here? Did common sense take a holiday?

When life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Heyload screwed with this post 07-24-2013 at 05:54 AM
Heyload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:06 AM   #2
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 687
People dying on new bikes and riding like fools is nothing new.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:08 AM   #3
FirstPath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,186
The story states he didn't have a motorcycle license (endorsement). OK... then the dealership should say (insisted) "you're not riding it home". By law, don't you need an endorsement to operate a motorcycle on a public street anyway?

Yep, he's a big boy and can make his own choices and I am NOT blaming the dealership. It's just incredibly stupid by both parties involved and now someone is dead.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:11 AM   #4
Heyload OP
Remastered Classic

Oddometer: 7,646
I think it really points out the need for proper training.

I mean, I wouldn't think of flying an airplane or sailing a boat without proper training.

I don't get why people think operating a motorcycle or a car is any different.

I remember being in that very dealership once when some 19-20 something year old came in looking to buy a Hayabusa. The salesman asked him if he had any experience and the kid said no. The salesman flat refused to sell him the bike.

Of course, this was years ago, I guess now it's all about schlepping the gelt with these dealerships.

I wonder if I could start a mentoring program for people wanting to start riding? Just talk to them and try to get them to understand how important proper training is, what to expect, that sort of thing.

When life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Heyload screwed with this post 07-24-2013 at 10:32 AM
Heyload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:38 AM   #5
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,509
At what point should a dealer of any item, whether it be a motorcycle, firearm, or chicken wing, be required to insist that the purchaser be trained to use the item?

In this instance, the dealer offered to deliver the motorcycle. Refused by purchaser.

I can go to my local big box home supply store and buy a chainsaw. Aren't chainsaws dangerous? I fail to see why motorcycle dealers get such "special" treatment in cases like this.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:51 AM   #6
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 687
Again, nothing new about a dealership or individual refusing to sell a hot bike to a novice, or chosing to. It's gone both ways for as long as there have been hot bikes or novice riders.

Mentoring type programs have long existed. As well training. Many (most?) folk will refuse it given the choice.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:06 AM   #7
bigflax925
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Tragic, yes. Preventable, yes. Is the dealership at fault? Maybe for not insisting to deliver it. I am not sure the laws in Texas, but I bought my first bike without a license. However, I didn't ride it until after I completed MSF and then got my endorsement.

The dealership offered to deliver the bike to his house. Sometimes machismo gets in the way of rational thinking.
bigflax925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:10 AM   #8
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstPath View Post
The story states he didn't have a motorcycle license (endorsement). OK... then the dealership should say (insisted) "you're not riding it home". By law, don't you need an endorsement to operate a motorcycle on a public street anyway?

Yep, he's a big boy and can make his own choices and I am NOT blaming the dealership. It's just incredibly stupid by both parties involved and now someone is dead.
Dealership has no authority to enforce any laws.

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:16 AM   #9
doc4216
Chronic High Fiver

Oddometer: 382
My buddy just bought a brand new victory judge and the dealer wouldn't let him drive it off the lot because he didn't have his endorsement. I had to go pick it up for him... Which of course I didn't mind :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-24-2013, 11:34 AM   #10
FirstPath
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlfman View Post
Dealership has no authority to enforce any laws.
I agree but if I couldn't produce a valid driver's license when buying a car you can bet they wouldn't let me take the car home from behind the wheel. Why would asking to see an endorsement or papers that show training be any different?
Old 07-24-2013, 11:35 AM   #11
FirstPath
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc4216 View Post
My buddy just bought a brand new victory judge and the dealer wouldn't let him drive it off the lot because he didn't have his endorsement. I had to go pick it up for him... Which of course I didn't mind :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
I think that was the right thing to do... by the dealership and you!
Old 07-24-2013, 11:39 AM   #12
FirstPath
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post

I can go to my local big box home supply store and buy a chainsaw. Aren't chainsaws dangerous? I fail to see why motorcycle dealers get such "special" treatment in cases like this.
Operating power tools such as a chainsaw doesn't require licensed training. Operating a vehicle or motorcycle on the street does. Apples to oranges comparison other than the fact that they both can hurt you.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:52 AM   #13
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstPath View Post
Operating power tools such as a chainsaw doesn't require licensed training. Operating a vehicle or motorcycle on the street does. Apples to oranges comparison other than the fact that they both can hurt you.
So, to skewer that comparison just a bit, how about buying a 450cc dirt bike -- not street legal?
Old 07-24-2013, 12:08 PM   #14
FirstPath
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
So, to skewer that comparison just a bit, how about buying a 450cc dirt bike -- not street legal?
I like your thinking... but, you couldn't ride it home on the street if you wanted to. No endorsement need.

A better comparison is a scooter less that 150cc. Fast enough to kill you but not enough cc's to require an endorsement and all street legal.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:11 PM   #15
Tonk
Frozen Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
I feel for the woman that hit him. I would think an endorsement is required to operate on public roads not only to protect the rider but also to show that the rider understands his/her role in properly using the roadways. One persons actions affect another persons actions. I feel horrible for the rider but the poor driver of the SUV has to live with this experience.
Tonk is offline   Reply With Quote