Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2013, 09:28 PM   #16
4play
Next?

Oddometer: 2,278
A heat gun can gain you a little, there are some RFS tanks that sit mostly on top of the frame. That is supposed to be a really sweet little engine, curious what it weighs. It doesn't seem likely to weigh less than a big single but they are smooth. I have a poked & stroked KTM450XC that is 600cc's & the Ninja Mutant. Very simular HP, delivered totally different. The twin is so sweet, quiet, relaxed & you don't feel like your beating it to death. The KTM has been balanced & it is smooth for a thumper but like all RFS motors it sounds like two skeletons making whoopie in a trash can & you can't help but feel you are wearing it out.
The KTM wins hands down for fast rough riding, but the twin is so much nicer cruising.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:44 AM   #17
kajj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Sounds like a really interesting project.

Will be fun to see how it turns out

kajj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:52 AM   #18
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymorr View Post
Project 300 Versys is underway

about time ya got back in the game, it's been about 5 years!
jdrocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:20 AM   #19
tonymorr OP
Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer: 2,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
about time ya got back in the game, it's been about 5 years!
Hey JD

I would love to hear your ideas
tonymorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:10 AM   #20
MrBracket
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4play View Post
it sounds like two skeletons making whoopie in a trash can
4play, I hope you don't mind but I love this quote so much I'm gonna have to add it to my sig line!!! LMAO!

tonymorr, I see you are a Husaberg fan too! In looking at your bike stable, I think you should just give me the 300 motor and I'll build something with it, you have enough bikes already!

Given your stable of bikes, if I were in your shoes, I'd build a super light scrambler, but with racks for adventure riding. Super simple and naked. You could use long legs off of a KTM or such dirt bike, but it doesn't sound like you are after that kind of bike. I'd pick up an old enduro bike or even small street bike so you have a title that can be licensed and just put money into the suspension it has. You can get nice dual shocks these days and add cartridge emulators and proper springs to the forks. You can get great performance on the street and better than most dual sports on the dirt! Plus the bike won't be 12 feet tall....

Just my 2 cents, I'm excited to see what you do. Hopefully I won't be that far behind you in a build of my own with that engine

Have fun with whatever you do, otherwise why do it??

2010 Husaberg FX450, 2011 Husaberg FS570, 1994 Yamaha TW200, Next bike?? - A twin cylinder adventure bike. Why? Because most thumpers sound like two skeletons making whoopie in a trash can!
MrBracket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:06 AM   #21
tonymorr OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBracket View Post
4play, I hope you don't mind but I love this quote so much I'm gonna have to add it to my sig line!!! LMAO!

tonymorr, I see you are a Husaberg fan too! In looking at your bike stable, I think you should just give me the 300 motor and I'll build something with it, you have enough bikes already!

Given your stable of bikes, if I were in your shoes, I'd build a super light scrambler, but with racks for adventure riding. Super simple and naked. You could use long legs off of a KTM or such dirt bike, but it doesn't sound like you are after that kind of bike. I'd pick up an old enduro bike or even small street bike so you have a title that can be licensed and just put money into the suspension it has. You can get nice dual shocks these days and add cartridge emulators and proper springs to the forks. You can get great performance on the street and better than most dual sports on the dirt! Plus the bike won't be 12 feet tall....

Just my 2 cents, I'm excited to see what you do. Hopefully I won't be that far behind you in a build of my own with that engine

Have fun with whatever you do, otherwise why do it??
Enough bikes?

A Scrambler/Brat would be kinda cool. Hmmmmm the possibilities are endless!
Old 07-25-2013, 11:36 AM   #22
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymorr View Post
Enough bikes?

A Scrambler/Brat would be kinda cool. Hmmmmm the possibilities are endless!
I was hoping for a little more clarification on your definition of "adventure bike" since for different people it can mean different things. Some lean more to the off-road side of things, and others are more street oriented with nothing more than gravel roads as their off-road requirements. I've run the gamut on that one myself. Nowadays I tend to think that a brat/scrambler would be more to my liking since I usually ride alone and safety concerns kinda make me not enjoy doing anything too serious in my "adventure" riding. I just don't think that I need long travel suspension and a mile high seat to do what I'll do in the real world. Besides, being somewhat limited by my equipment just may keep me out of trouble.

I think this engine could make a nice modern version of the "enduro" bikes of the earlier days before they evolved into the more modern and focused bikes we have today. I'd probably use those, along with the various scrambler and brat bike builds, as a basis for my inspiration. Then throw in some more modern adventure stuff like luggage, and some decent suspension (even if not supper long travel), maybe some weather protection, a good seat, some guards to protect the vitals, and some features like power ports, electric grips, hand guards, etc.

Something that harkens back to the day of light, multi-purpose bikes that went anywhere, and before the day of specialization.

Sounds like fun to me.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:14 PM   #23
tonymorr OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
I think this engine could make a nice modern version of the "enduro" bikes of the earlier days before they evolved into the more modern and focused bikes we have today. I'd probably use those, along with the various scrambler and brat bike builds, as a basis for my inspiration. Then throw in some more modern adventure stuff like luggage, and some decent suspension (even if not supper long travel), maybe some weather protection, a good seat, some guards to protect the vitals, and some features like power ports, electric grips, hand guards, etc.

Something that harkens back to the day of light, multi-purpose bikes that went anywhere, and before the day of specialization.

Sounds like fun to me.
I like the sound of that. Something like the Suzuki Big Boy? (but with good suspension) It's a version of the TU250 that is available elsewhere.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:46 PM   #24
Lizrdbrth
Wackjob

Oddometer: 865
Lizrdbrth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:15 PM   #25
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

The net is full of scrambler builds that I find useful for inspiration.

Not necessarily this exactly, but I do like the basic form of things such as this:

With fabrication of the right parts, and the modification of others, such as wheels and suspension, I would think that a lot of donors, combined with your engine, could make a nice. light weight version of something of the type.

Of course this is just the direction my own mind has been going for a while now...
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Old 07-25-2013, 06:52 PM   #26
tonymorr OP

Maybe not so far off. Worth taking a harder look.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:58 PM   #27
Navin
Unwounding

Oddometer: 6,672
Take a look at the KTM/ CR500 threads for good frame info. IIRC the guy to talk to is "jar44" or username close to that. He did a few RFS engine swaps into newer frames too. Don't fear the older frames either, they weren't terrible from back in 1998 even. They have about zero value too. Like I mentioned, I recently threw one away.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:30 AM   #28
Kevan Garrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
Another idea?

Hi Folks.

Looks like a fun build. I am subscribed. I was just looking at an auction site (ridesafely.com) and there are a few of the new CBR250's for sale. I am guessing a lot of new riders are buying these and crashing them.

Wondering if this engine would also work in a light ADV bike? Just a thought.

Cheers

Kevan
Kevan Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:08 AM   #29
tonymorr OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan Garrett View Post
Hi Folks.

Looks like a fun build. I am subscribed. I was just looking at an auction site (ridesafely.com) and there are a few of the new CBR250's for sale. I am guessing a lot of new riders are buying these and crashing them.

Cheers

Kevan
The CBR250 engine is a HUGE let down. The WR250R engine is WAY better especially with a big bore kit. I already have one of them and it is a great light ADV bike.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:44 AM   #30
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan Garrett View Post
Hi Folks.

Cheers

Kevan
I have no direct experience with either engine, but everything I've read indicates pretty much what tonymorr just said.

But, the 300R hasn't been out very long compared to the Honda. Wait a while and I'm sure there'll be plenty of those available for the same reason.