User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2013, 01:26 PM   #1
SEWERMAN OP
Mosquito Killer

Oddometer: 41
Standing Up-Getting the Ergo's Right

I put 25mm risers on my bike over the winter knowing that my stock bar height was not elevated high enough, I'm 5'11' riding a 650 Dakar, I just got back from a Prudhoe Bay trip and I had to play with by bar angle quite a bit during the trip. I progressively rolled the handle bars more forward each time I adjusted but I don't feel like I've found the sweet spot yet. Specifically on any incline more than a 3-5% grade I felt as if I was really having to pull my body forward and into the bars to keep my riding positions and some weight on the front wheel. Also, I didn't feel very comfortable standing when traveling over 55MPH for the same reason--I just don't recall having this problem before. Prior to putting the risers on I could stand all day on my pegs and ride gravel up and down hills with much more comfort. So to get to my question: Does anyone having any tips on setting up the proper ergonomics in the standing position to solve this problem? What am I missing?
SEWERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:34 PM   #2
lnewqban
Ninjetter

Oddometer: 290
Cool2

Motorcycle Ergonomics
lnewqban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:02 PM   #3
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEWERMAN View Post
I put 25mm risers on my bike over the winter knowing that my stock bar height was not elevated high enough, I'm 5'11' riding a 650 Dakar, I just got back from a Prudhoe Bay trip and I had to play with by bar angle quite a bit during the trip. I progressively rolled the handle bars more forward each time I adjusted but I don't feel like I've found the sweet spot yet. Specifically on any incline more than a 3-5% grade I felt as if I was really having to pull my body forward and into the bars to keep my riding positions and some weight on the front wheel. Also, I didn't feel very comfortable standing when traveling over 55MPH for the same reason--I just don't recall having this problem before. Prior to putting the risers on I could stand all day on my pegs and ride gravel up and down hills with much more comfort. So to get to my question: Does anyone having any tips on setting up the proper ergonomics in the standing position to solve this problem? What am I missing?
Why did you need 25mm risers? Were you too stooped over?

It sounds like you need less pullback. Your bars need to go further forward. Your pegs could go further rearward, but that would shift weight off the front wheel. Can your bar-risers be turned around so as to move the bars forward? Can you remove the bar-risers and lower your pegs 25mm? Have you tried bars with the same height and less pullback?

Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:08 AM   #4
SEWERMAN OP
Mosquito Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
Why did you need 25mm risers? Were you too stooped over?

It sounds like you need less pullback. Your bars need to go further forward. Your pegs could go further rearward, but that would shift weight off the front wheel. Can your bar-risers be turned around so as to move the bars forward? Can you remove the bar-risers and lower your pegs 25mm? Have you tried bars with the same height and less pullback?
Exactly, I had to keep my knees more bent than usual and it felt like a was squatting on my bike rather than being able to stand tall and get over my front wheel when climbing. Anyway I can simulate what less pull back would be like without actually having to buy new bars and installing them? Do you think that rolling my bars farther forward would help? And do you think adding the risers would make such a difference in the feel on my bars in regards to the pullback angle?

SEWERMAN screwed with this post 07-25-2013 at 12:21 AM
Old 07-25-2013, 12:22 AM   #5
SEWERMAN OP
Mosquito Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnewqban View Post
Thanks but this site does not seem to simulate a standing position on the bike...unless I'm just missing it.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:26 AM   #6
PJay
Any bike, anywhere

Oddometer: 494
Ummm, the fundamental question is, "What are you standing up for?"

Not, "Why do you stand up?" - I'm trying to get at the particular reason you need to stand up in any particular place.

There's no one answer.

Different stances for different places and conditions.

Indeed, one of the answers is that most times on any formed track you don't need to stand up, anyway. Sitting on the saddle around which your ergos have been designed usually renders a degree of comfort.

PJay screwed with this post 07-25-2013 at 04:52 PM
PJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:45 AM   #7
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,014
My Yamaha wr250r is stock and I have the same problem as you. It is almost like the foot pegs are too far forward. My KTM 690 is just about right for me. Probably the best was my old KTM 950A. I like a forward crouch when standing because I want to have leverage over the motorcycle. Also at speed I want to lean into the wind.

I seem to recall that BMW's all have a lot of bar sweep. You probably will need to try a flatter bar intended for motocross or enduros. Maybe go down to a KTM store and compare the bars on their various models. Sit on a few.
Pantah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:22 AM   #8
lnewqban
Ninjetter

Oddometer: 290
Cool2

Quote:
..........Prior to putting the risers on I could stand all day on my pegs and ride gravel up and down hills with much more comfort. So to get to my question: Does anyone having any tips on setting up the proper ergonomics in the standing position to solve this problem? What am I missing?
Sorry, you are correct about that link.
It seems that you will feel better if you experiment with moving the footpegs aft.
Those 25 mm relocated the bar up and aft, following the angle of the forks.
With the bike slightly climbing and you standing up comfortably, your CG (approximately located between your belly button and your spine) should be in vertical alignment with the footpegs.
In that posture, a raised (up and aft) handlebar may push your CG aft via your arms.
Your tendency to squatting then may be your reaction to relocate it directly above the footpegs and to avoid hanging from the handlebar.
lnewqban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:43 AM   #9
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,487
I went up 3" on my Dakar and down 1/2" on the pegs. 6'4"
Old 07-25-2013, 09:56 AM   #10
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,455
Quote:
Exactly, I had to keep my knees more bent than usual and it felt like a was squatting on my bike rather than being able to stand tall and get over my front wheel when climbing. Anyway I can simulate what less pull back would be like without actually having to buy new bars and installing them? Do you think that rolling my bars farther forward would help?
You can try rolling them even further, but the angle of your grips may get uncomfortable.

Quote:
And do you think adding the risers would make such a difference in the feel on my bars in regards to the pullback angle?
As somebody else mentioned, the forks come up AND back. The bar mounts are typically inline with the forks. Mounts that allow you to position the bars forward of the stock position will help.

You also have to take into account that if you raise the grips or lower the pegs, your weight is going to shift more towards your feet than towards your hands. You can move the pegs straight back without lowering them, but then you'd have less of your weight over the front wheel.

Basically, find a way to move your grips forward without making their angle uncomfortable for you.

Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:00 PM   #11
SEWERMAN OP
Mosquito Killer

All good stuff and makes sense now that I consider the fork angle. It definitely feels like I'm trying to pull my CG forward especially on hills. I work with these suggestions and see what I can do.