User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2013, 03:50 PM   #1
Eliter85 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
My Elite is Finished.

So I've been working away on my 1985 CH150. And Happy to say it's done! I cannot actually think of anything else to do to it. Runs great, I actually just went on a longer trip and put just under 1000km on it and it purred the whole way.

Here's what I've done that comes to mind anyways;
  • New shocks
  • New Tired
  • Carb Cleaned
  • Replaced exhaust
  • New grips
  • New dash
  • New battery
  • New bulbs
  • New spark plug + wire
  • New Belt
  • Dr. Pulley Sliders (10g)
  • Rebuilt transmission
  • Multiple oil changes and converted to 1/2 synthetic
  • New brake pads
  • Multiple various nuts + bolts replaced
  • Repaired panels
  • Painted + detailed

Let me know what you guys think! :)
Old 07-24-2013, 03:54 PM   #2
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,596
Looks great. A 600mi/1000km ride which turned out fun proves you did it right.

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:26 PM   #3
csisfun
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Reading the title, I was worried I might see a bike that was all crumpled and wrecked. Glad it isn't!
csisfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:04 PM   #4
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
Looks good.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:20 PM   #5
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 3,994
You sure put a lot of work into that. I hope it lasts a long time.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:57 PM   #6
Wentwest
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Nice work! Most of the work you did was because there was a history of 27 years of neglect and abuse, and lack of proper maintenance, or any maintenance at all. There aren't many machines that survive that sort of fate. It's amazing that a machine with an engine smaller than any lawn mower you can buy now can still move you down the road at 50 or 60 miles an hour. That's why these old Elites win my respect.
Wentwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:55 PM   #7
scootrboi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 982
I have revived a similar machine, a CH 125. My overall impression is that it is a painful and frustrating scooter to work on, but when you get it right, it runs perfectly. Made to last a long time and run well, but not intended to be repaired much. My hands hurt just thinking about it.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:02 PM   #8
scootrboi
Studly Adventurer

Put the battery in and got it running today. 29 years without a tuneup or belt, runs like new. 12000 miles (sat for 17 years).
Old 07-25-2013, 05:19 PM   #9
JerryH
Vintage Rider

You did a beautiful job on it. But can I ask, why did you do all that work when you could have bought a late model low mileage scooter with the same performance, that wouldn't have needed much of anything, for very little? The Vino 125 comes to mind, but there are many others. I know for a fact the Vino is reliable, as I have been riding the wheels off one for 5 years. Was it just because you wanted a project, or was there something specific about the Elite that pushed the right buttons, or did you just wind up with it, and make it up as you went along? Just curious.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:30 AM   #10
Eliter85 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
You did a beautiful job on it. But can I ask, why did you do all that work when you could have bought a late model low mileage scooter with the same performance, that wouldn't have needed much of anything, for very little? The Vino 125 comes to mind, but there are many others. I know for a fact the Vino is reliable, as I have been riding the wheels off one for 5 years. Was it just because you wanted a project, or was there something specific about the Elite that pushed the right buttons, or did you just wind up with it, and make it up as you went along? Just curious.

Well I moved across the country by myself and was low on cash and I just kind of wound up with it. Then I just fell in love with it and wanted to get it running and looking great. It also helps that even after all this work it's only cost me about $1000. Fun cheap project. Heck yes.

You may be able to find a vino for around that price, but a 125 would be harder. I'm much happier putting my money toward this project and having some one of a kind that I built. it's a nice sense of accomplishment. Plus I actually really like the look of the old Elites compared to many newer scooters.

and obviously the high milage does worry me. I just went over 39,000km. But I am going to do as much as I can to keep it running well. Actually just added an in line fuel filter to help just a little bit more.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:43 PM   #11
scootrboi
Studly Adventurer

It is a very well made bike. Make sure to lube the final drive. The 150 is much faster than the 125 Vino.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:06 PM   #12
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliter85 View Post
Well I moved across the country by myself and was low on cash and I just kind of wound up with it. Then I just fell in love with it and wanted to get it running and looking great. It also helps that even after all this work it's only cost me about $1000. Fun cheap project. Heck yes.

You may be able to find a vino for around that price, but a 125 would be harder. I'm much happier putting my money toward this project and having some one of a kind that I built. it's a nice sense of accomplishment. Plus I actually really like the look of the old Elites compared to many newer scooters.

and obviously the high milage does worry me. I just went over 39,000km. But I am going to do as much as I can to keep it running well. Actually just added an in line fuel filter to help just a little bit more.

Sounds like all the right reasons to me. I love it when someone gets an older vehicle back on the road. It makes me feel good that there are at least a few exceptions to our disposable world. I love vintage vehicles of all kinds. Don't care so much for the modern high tech stuff.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:19 PM   #13
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliter85 View Post

Will if a helix can get 100 000 K theres no reason that an eltie can't get that much. Worst case is 20 000 K from now you re looking for an elite 80 to 150 cc engine to drop in the frame. From my reading any one of them just bolts right up.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:23 PM   #14
scootrboi
Studly Adventurer

Wait till you see the fuel efficiency you get with that scoot.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:01 PM   #15
scootrboi
Studly Adventurer

Reviving an old thread for a speck of information: Can someone post a photo of the exhaust gasket for the Honda Elite 150? I have a 1984 CH 125 (nearly identical machine) missing an exhaust gasket, and don't think I have ever seen one. I made one, but I would like to see what a stock one looks like. Thanks.