Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2013, 08:08 PM   #16
rowdyc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrboi View Post
Reviving an old thread for a speck of information: Can someone post a photo of the exhaust gasket for the Honda Elite 150? I have a 1984 CH 125 (nearly identical machine) missing an exhaust gasket, and don't think I have ever seen one. I made one, but I would like to see what a stock one looks like. Thanks.
Look at this page http://www.dscycle.com/fiche_select2...84&fveh=131767 under Rear fender and Muffler. It is item number one.
It is a round washer/ring that is not flat but oval. It has some type of soft heat resistant material covering this metal washer/ring.

Ironically, its still an available item from Honda and can be ordered from local dealer using number in link. I usually get a couple to keep the engine right.
rowdyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:32 AM   #17
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,610
Amigo,

that looks very nice/good! A friend of mine just bought a 250, it needs some some but I think my friend down the road will sell it.. to me! I am not mechanically incline, more like retard, but in a good year I could make it even better, get it legalize in this country (still has US plates)

Enjoy it!

Damasovi
Old 12-30-2013, 08:51 AM   #18
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,849
Mid '80s Honda scooters have a beautiful design, one that I wish they would bring back. They were also very reliable. The problem with them now is the terrible condition you find most of them in, and a serious lack of parts. If I had bought a mid '80s Elite new and still had it, it would still look nearly new, though it would hardly be low mileage. It's a shame people buy things like that, put a few miles on them, and then park them to rust and rot away.

I have to give a lot of credit to someone who would take on such a project, especially if they finish it. I just don't have the patience for it. I had a project 1985 Goldwing that I spent over 2 years and around $1500 on, and finally gave up due to a lack of parts, and screwups by previous owners working on it. I finally realized it was never going to be what I wanted it to be, and sold it cheap as a parts bike. I would still like to restore a vintage Vespa someday.
1980 Puch moped

JerryH screwed with this post 12-30-2013 at 08:58 AM
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:09 AM   #19
RedArrow
If only the moon

Oddometer: 1,800
Eliter ~

That's one beautiful bike you've got yourself there! You should feel really proud of your work and I agree with JerryH about the satisfaction of getting ANY older machine back to its original functioning shape. You've certainly done that, and done that well. I personally think that these 80s Hondas are some of the most beautiful motorcycles and scooters ever made.

I've got an 84 Honda Aero NH125 that I'm nursing along and a part of me resents Honda in a way by creating all these beautiful bikes and then making replacement parts either difficult or impossible to acquire, at least here in North America. I understand business models and the problems of manufacturing parts that are only going to be used by a dwindling number of consumers, but still . . . something stinks in Denmark.

Of course my next question is, now that you're done with all your tinkering, are your fingers getting itchy for a new project?
Old 01-01-2014, 01:53 PM   #20
HandKPhil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
Great scoot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrboi View Post
I have revived a similar machine, a CH 125. My overall impression is that it is a painful and frustrating scooter to work on, but when you get it right, it runs perfectly. Made to last a long time and run well, but not intended to be repaired much. My hands hurt just thinking about it.
Man, isn't that the truth! I totally re-did an '87 Elite 150, and it took a lot of work and frustration to get it right. Lots of bystarters were harmed in the making of that bike too. When I was all done I had a great little scooter though. In the end 150 cc's just wasn't big enough to haul me around, so I sold it. Glad I restored one, glad I owned it, and glad I got rid of it. If I could go back to 1987 and by one brand new, I would do it in a heartbeat. The trouble with these is that most of us got 'em after they were abused and/or neglected. I bet they were sweet back when they rolled off of the factory floor...
Old 01-01-2014, 02:36 PM   #21
Wentwest
How's that work?

Oddometer: 475
Quote:
Of course my next question is, now that you're done with all your tinkering, are your fingers getting itchy for a new project?
Ain't that the truth.

My problem is that when I finally get one all put together and running right, and I ride it around for a while, I'm so impressed with just how great these machines are, I can't bear to sell it. Now I've got a garage full of Elites, and a Gyro, and a Reflex. And an 81 GL500 cycle. Come Spring something's got to go.
Wentwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:21 PM   #22
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wentwest View Post
Ain't that the truth.

My problem is that when I finally get one all put together and running right, and I ride it around for a while, I'm so impressed with just how great these machines are, I can't bear to sell it. Now I've got a garage full of Elites, and a Gyro, and a Reflex. And an 81 GL500 cycle. Come Spring something's got to go.
Hang onto thAt GL500, unless it's been abused. They seem like a bike that will keep delivering the goods forever. Quirky but retro cool!

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:15 PM   #23
RedArrow
If only the moon

Oddometer: 1,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wentwest View Post
Ain't that the truth.

When it comes time to thin the herd, give me a hollar. By BF would love to get his hands on an old version Elite 250.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:41 AM   #24
Horizontal
Goatin' Around

Oddometer: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabears View Post
Hang onto thAt GL500, unless it's been abused. They seem like a bike that will keep delivering the goods forever. Quirky but retro cool!
I had an old CX, which is basically the same design. Two things to look out for on those older engines were the stator frying from overheating and weeping coolant from the rear seal. Both required removing the engine, but were fixable. Yamaha makes a seal that fits the CX/CL perfectly, and the stator could always be pulled and rewound.

Anyway, very fun and unique old bikes.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
~ Albert Einstein

1983 Honda XL250R 1971 Yamaha DT1E 250 Enduro
Horizontal is offline   Reply With Quote