Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2013, 03:15 PM   #16
SkiFastBadly
A beer? Yes, please

Oddometer: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerGeek99 View Post
If it's in your budget, check out the Aerostitch Transit Suit. I've had mine for about 4 years now and, yes, it is 100% waterproof.

If you can find it, Harley makes a getup similar to the Transit Suit - it's their FXRG gear.
I have the FXRG gear, jacket and pants (yes, I said pants, not assless chaps). Not completely waterproof, but good solid high quality, comes with liners for winter. Very well thought out stuff. Not cheap for sure.

Also comes with a "lifetime" warranty, or did when I bought it. After five years the zipper broke, I took it in, they sent it to the factory for repair and they decided to send me a brand new jacket. Very nice. It does say "Harley Davidson" on it, so if that bothers you.....get a Harley and you'll be all set.

2008 Buell Ulysses
2008 Triumph Scrambler
2004 HD Heritage Softail
SkiFastBadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:22 PM   #17
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,085
find what fits you. One brand will fit you well for instance Alpinestars fits me nicely. It's just like finding a camera - something will more comfortable right away. Also dont forget that things like jackets take years to break in and they can be uncomfortable for the first few weeks.
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:38 PM   #18
RogerWilco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Vanson. The fully perforated jackets will vent better than just about any other jacket, leather or textile. They are made from competition weight heavy leather and have large zippers made from real brass, not the cheap plastic found on many other brands. The arms are rotated slightly forward for comfort while in a riding position, and a windproof liner is available.
Many of the non-perorated models have very good vents. They offer a variety of styles, as well. The down side: they ain't cheap. They are some of the best jackets available, though.

MAJOR CAVEAT: Vanson, at some low point in their past, farmed out production of many models to Pakistan. Any of these jackets I've examined were of very, very low quality. One could literally tell the difference between the U.S. and Pakistani made jackets from across the showroom. The leather was subpar and thin, with stitching that would rival anything a four year old could produce.
Vanson next moved production to El Salvador. These jackets were sewn in a very modern factory and are of high quality. They were, however, a logistics nightmare for Vanson to manage. Many will be glad to know that most of the current models are again made in the U.S.A., back in their own factory, and the ones which are not are clearly identified on their website.
I would advise anyone purchasing any Vanson garment to inquire as to the country of origin, which will be listed on the label found sewn into the lining, and take a pass on any Pakistani goods.
RogerWilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:45 PM   #19
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8dust View Post
The best, by far, is from the hide of a kangaroo.
that's what I ride with .. an old 80's BMW leather suit made in Germany from Kangaroo leather. amazingly lightweight.

when the package arrived with my BMW leather jacket .. it felt so light, thought it was empty. had problems finding matching leather pants. finally purchased another BMW suit to get the leather pants.

just sold an old Bates leather jacket that looked like it was made in the 70's .. that was amazingly light too, probably kangaroo leather.

Motoport, Aerostich and BMW kangaroo leather ...
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:04 PM   #20
Trophy Mike
w/extreme prejudice

Oddometer: 795
another Vanson caveat --
stick with their Competition Weight
trophycycleapparel.com - America's #1 Non-REV'IT! Dealer - Rukka Gear Discussion/FAQ
Trophy Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:58 AM   #21
rpmwfo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
3 different Vanson jackets(full perf, supermoto, partial perf- lightning). Cortech Deckers overpants. Revit Gear 2 pants. Comfortable in pretty much all types of weather. I have rode in everything from 35- 105 degree weather.
2003 ZX12R
2013 KTM RC8R
rpmwfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:29 AM   #22
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmwfo View Post
3 different Vanson jackets(full perf, supermoto, partial perf- lightning). Cortech Deckers overpants. Revit Gear 2 pants. Comfortable in pretty much all types of weather. I have rode in everything from 35- 105 degree weather.
you folks that ride with preferated Vanson leathers .. how do you handle wet/cold nasty conditions.

in 90f+ temps .. wearing heavy anything, leather or otherwise gets pretty darn HOT.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:36 AM   #23
RogerWilco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
you folks that ride with preferated Vanson leathers .. how do you handle wet/cold nasty conditions.

in 90f+ temps .. wearing heavy anything, leather or otherwise gets pretty darn HOT.
I handle wet/cold conditions by wearing another jacket.
Actually, although Vanson offers a windproof/waterproof liner, I have a very thin North Face vest that goes under the jacket. The vest is great for when the temps are in the 60's or low 70's in the early morning, and then the 80's and 90's in the afternoon. While the competition weight leather is indeed heavy, the completely perforated jacket makes a huge difference in comfort. When stopped at an intersection, they all make you feel as if you are gonna die. Like you, I too live in Oklahoma, so I know the weather you ride in.
My Vanson Hurricane Pro-Perf jacket is considerably more comfortable in hot weather than my Olympia Sport Airmesh2.
RogerWilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:04 AM   #24
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,591
I find mesh to be less comfortable while stopped than good perforated leather. Maybe it's just me, but when I'm baking in the sun in stopped traffic, mesh is actually the least comfortable gear I could be wearing. When I'm moving, I still like perforated leather better. It doesn't flow as much air as mesh, but it flows enough, and the fact that it flows less actually makes it more useful over a broader temperature range.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:02 AM   #25
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Oddometer: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloMo228 View Post
I find mesh to be less comfortable while stopped than good perforated leather. Maybe it's just me, but when I'm baking in the sun in stopped traffic, mesh is actually the least comfortable gear I could be wearing. When I'm moving, I still like perforated leather better. It doesn't flow as much air as mesh, but it flows enough, and the fact that it flows less actually makes it more useful over a broader temperature range.
I've had similar experience with perforated leather keeping me cooler. All I can guess is that the air flow tends to be less turbulent so the outside air can evaporate perspiration more effectively.

There's a good article on the topic from the guys in the Iron Butt Association, and although it seems counter-intuitive, my limited testing tells me it is spot on.

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800
PalePhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:09 AM   #26
NJ Moto
Running Free

Oddometer: 7,405
Quote:
If it's in your budget, check out the Aerostitch Transit Suit. I've had mine for about 4 years now and, yes, it is 100% waterproof.
+1 it's a great suit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuKeu...feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYqF_BtIwAU
"Can we get a party to finally represent us?" - Cenk Uygur
NJ Moto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:24 AM   #27
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 3,983
Older fieldsheer perforated and non plus older hein gericke nonperf, all heavy leather and for under $100 each on fleabay

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-26-2013, 08:48 AM   #28
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8dust View Post
The best, by far, is from the hide of a kangaroo.
Not whale foreskin like everybody sez????
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:11 AM   #29
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

If you can find it, Harley makes a getup similar to the Transit Suit - it's their FXRG gear.
but isn't that just another goretex suit? only with leather exterior instead of conventional fabric like Aerostich?

no goretex suit will allow air to flow through. which is excellent for wet/nasty conditions. but miserable for temps above 80f or so.

been trying to find one suit for all conditions. but starting to think it doesn't exist.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:44 AM   #30
DJFlowe
Ginger

Oddometer: 222
I've been wearing my Transit year-round in NC for two years now. It's absolutely not true that it's only for cold or nasty weather.

It isn't perforated-true. But open the collar, the sleeves and the back vents and dampen your shirt, and I'm good up to and over 100 degrees.

I can't speak highly enough of the Transit. It's comfortable as all get-out, completely waterproof, and very well constructed. It's heavier and more solid than my old Vanson track leathers.
DJFlowe is offline   Reply With Quote