Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2013, 01:57 PM   #31
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Oddometer: 824
I just ordered a NOS Teknic Durango from Roseburg Cycle Center (ROSEBURGCC@YAHOO.COM). I've bought several jackets in the past from them. They used to have them on Ebay all the time but I did not see one posted, so I figured I would just e-mail them. They confirmed they still have them at $99.99 each. It's similar to the old Hein Gericke Dakar jacket. Not sure if this is the type you're looking for, but it has plenty of vents: 2 chest vents, 2 arms vents, and 2 vents just below the shoulders in the back. This will be my fourth Teknic leather jacket. Good stuff at close-out prices.

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800
PalePhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:31 PM   #32
oldhippie1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
typierce

There is Only one brand. I see where someone said they wear Vanson. They are excellent. You want the BEST. LANGLITZ LEATHERS in Portland Oregon. There are lots of opinions but believe me they are the best. If you order from them and are not happy they will refund your money. Each garmet is custom built.
oldhippie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:44 PM   #33
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhippie1 View Post
There is Only one brand. I see where someone said they wear Vanson. They are excellent. You want the BEST. LANGLITZ LEATHERS in Portland Oregon. There are lots of opinions but believe me they are the best. If you order from them and are not happy they will refund your money. Each garmet is custom built.
Very Heavy and VERY expensive! (I don't care for the styling)
Old 07-26-2013, 02:56 PM   #34
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post

+1. I'll still take Vanson, because of the Armor. I don't think Langlitz has provisions for it, and I'm not going to wear motocross gear under it.
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:37 PM   #35
kottomack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhippie1 View Post
I have a Langlitz Colombia in Goat, it rains a lot here. Absolutly the best quality out there
Old 07-26-2013, 04:50 PM   #36
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Oddometer: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by kottomack View Post
I have a Langlitz Colombia in Goat, it rains a lot here. Absolutly the best quality out there
Brother, can you spare a grand?

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800
PalePhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:49 PM   #37
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kottomack View Post
have never heard of Langlitz before. they certainly go to a lot of trouble with measurements all over. must fit really good!

Kangaroo is suppose to be world strongest leather for the weight. allowing a superlight jacket that's stronger than much heavier leather.
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:41 PM   #38
HOFNAR OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Wow! Thanks for all the replies. A friend I work with actually suggested I check out GoldenBearSportswear. They're located in San Francisco and supply the SFPD motorcycle cops their jackets. Since I work in SF, I'll check out their facility and products. Said friend has one of these motorcycle cop jackets and it's incredibly well constructed and the leather looks and feels top notch.
HOFNAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:51 PM   #39
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOFNAR View Post
A friend I work with actually suggested I check out GoldenBearSportswear.
You need better friends.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:05 PM   #40
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,585
Today, most leather is made of cow hides, but many exceptions exist. Lamb and deer skin are used for soft leather in more expensive apparels. Kangaroo leather is used to make items which need to be strong but flexible, such as motorcycle gloves. Kangaroo leather is favored by motorcyclists specifically because of its lighter weight and higher abrasion resistance as compared to cowhide.

KANGAROO LEATHER is widely accepted as being one of the strongest light weight leathers available. Yet the reasons for this strength are not widely appreciated.
Studies conducted by the Australian CSIRO confirm that kangaroo is one of the strongest leathers of similar substance available (Stephens 1987).

Similarly when split into thinner substances kangaroo retains considerably more of the original tensile strength of the unsplit leather than does calf. When split to 20% of original thickness kangaroo retains between 30 to 60% of the tensile strength of the unsplit hide. Calf on the other hand split to 20% of original thickness retains only 1-4% of original strength (Stephens 1987).

Studies of the morphology of kangaroo leather compared to bovine help explain these remarkable differences.

The collagen fibre bundles in cattle hide are arranged in a complex weaving pattern. The fibres are often at angles as much as 90 degrees to the skin surface. Cattle hide also contain sweat glands, erector pili muscles and a distinct gradation in elastin levels, concentrated in the upper part of the skin.

Kangaroo on the other hand has been shown to have a highly uniform orientation of fibre bundles in parallel with the skin surface. It does not contain sweat glands or erector pili muscles and elastin is evenly distributed throughout the skin thickness (Bavinton et al 1987). This structural uniformity explains both the greater tensile strength of the whole leather and the greater retention of strength in splits. Bovine skin is much more complex in cross section. Hence in whole section it has many more weak point from which tears can start when placed under tension. In addition when sliced into splits the collagen fibres running at significant angles to the skin surface will be cut. These then become weak points in the structural strength.

Thus the structural uniformity in the morphology of kangaroo leather readily explains its dramatic strength and the retention of this strength when split.

This uniformity requires efficient fat liquoring and staking to obtain optimal results from processing. These processes have the effect of unsticking fibre bundles from each other, thereby enabling each bundle to move independently. Since kangaroo fibres are aligned parallel to each other they contact other fibres along much of their length. Bovine fibres on the other hand only contact other fibres at the points where they intersect with them.
http://www.kangaroo-industry.asn.au/...her_review.htm
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:48 PM   #41
RogerWilco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
For the custom market, Langlitz is a good choice but many prefer Aero of Scotland, and they produce many jackets in horse hide, for those who are so inclined. These jackets will become broken in quite nicely in about 10-12 years of hard wear. Aero jackets are of a more "classic" anti-power-ranger style, as is Langlitz.
For you guys in CA, you might want to check out Johnson Leather. They will take your measurements and then present you with a custom garment of top quality.
RogerWilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:07 PM   #42
Carl Spackler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 510
I have had a Langlitz jacket and Western Jeans since 1997. Plain and simple, they're the best. All this whale foreskin talk is bullshit. Go visit the place. The old ladies have been there forever. The shop is so old and funky you'd swear they're about to go under. But they've been in that building like forever and the fourth generation Langlitz family member is about to take it over. Won't sell out. Won't cheapen methods or materials. Family history. Stand behind everything they make. Made in the USA. It doesn't get any better than that. I swear that if you visit the place, you'll buy and never regret your decision.

I've tried a bunch of other stuff (Aerostich one-piece, Rukka Armas, Klim Badlands, 'stich Falstaff) and I still prefer the Langlitz.

If it's within your budget, get the leathers and don't look back.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:33 AM   #43
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
May not be the best , but Cyclegear has very good pricing.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:53 AM   #44
MADurstewitz
MADMark

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOFNAR View Post
For those that wear leather exclusively, what styles and/or brands are you guys wearing? I use my bike primarily for commuting three seasons out of the year and week-long road trips a few times a year. I currently use a Firstgear jacket and overpants and a Tourmaster mesh jacket for hot weather all with armor built in. In addition, I wear kevlar jeans, knee pads and spine protector under all that. For footwear, I will be switching to touring style boots like the Aerostich Combats. Thanks for any tips.

Jesse
Alpinestars top and bottom with street armor underneath the jacket. Tech 10 mx boots. Arai helmet. Everything (except the helmet didn't hit the road, thankfully) paid for itself in one slide through an intersection a few years back. Bike was on top of my left leg. left forearm jammed into the pavement. Slid for about 30 feet. Got up and continued on my way to work. Left ankle a little sore for a few days.

The good stuff is worth it.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:21 AM   #45
kottomack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Langlitz Colombia

This is my Langlitz, it's expensive...yes. Fit and function are much much better then any other leather jacket I have owned. And I have a few just ask my wife