User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2013, 12:43 PM   #46
lipsee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Get real guys there,s a recession on,,

Me myself and I cannot just shop for the best NEW stuff out there,,I have to duc and dive abit,,I bought a pair of leather bike pants in the charity shop,,,no label on them and just a tag saying made in Pakistan..Now I know Pakistan has not got a good reputation right now ,,but I know they can do really good leather ,,and these pants are very well made,not as good as the best Italian stuff but presentable all the same!!!...Next I struck really lucky after I was checking out another shop about a year latter,,I came across a JPS Norton Leather jacket (circular 1990 ) the leather is "HEAVY" I have been told it was made in Brazil(what kind of Buffalo or perhaps Elephant lives in Brazil??) anyway the zip was busted and the shop wanted £25 (I give £30 as it was a charity shop and knew it was worth more,,its a little large for me ,but I suppose I could wear a mesh armored jacket underneath..So I,m fully knittted out for a village people concert ,,, So to sum up ,,bind your time checkout second hand sauces...even very old leather can look really good,,and do,nt pay too much!!!!!!
lipsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:55 PM   #47
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Oddometer: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOFNAR View Post
Wow! Thanks for all the replies. A friend I work with actually suggested I check out GoldenBearSportswear. They're located in San Francisco and supply the SFPD motorcycle cops their jackets. Since I work in SF, I'll check out their facility and products. Said friend has one of these motorcycle cop jackets and it's incredibly well constructed and the leather looks and feels top notch.
Does it have armor or at the very least have pockets for armor? For street riding, I prioritize armor over abrasion resistance. More likely to hit something/get hit by something than to have an uninterrupted slide.

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800
PalePhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:16 AM   #48
Tonopah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
I've been happy with the Rev'it Ignition 2 jacket and Gear 2 pants. Leather/mesh hybrid. I live in the Southwest and good air flow is appreciated so the mesh part is great. Armor is high quality. Wish they sold this stuff without the zip in inserts so the price could be lower as I never bring the zip in stuff and just carry a rain suit instead.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/r...ition-2-jacket

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/r...-leather-pants
Old 07-29-2013, 08:47 AM   #49
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
May not be the best , but Cyclegear has very good pricing.
It is, in fact, the worst. They used to sell brand name close out stuff which was great, then they started pushing their own Chinese stuff, first Frank Thomas, now that Bilt crap. It is truly awful.
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:36 AM   #50
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorTroy View Post
It is, in fact, the worst. They used to sell brand name close out stuff which was great, then they started pushing their own Chinese stuff, first Frank Thomas, now that Bilt crap. It is truly awful.
I wonder if their "high end" Sedici line is any good, though at the price point, I think I'd rather stick to a known brand like Firstgear, Tourmaster, Fieldsheer, etc. They're not top-line either, but in my experience they generally are decent gear and a fair value.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:42 AM   #51
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,805
It gets hot up in Placer.............how in the heck can a person wear leather with kevlar jeans and padding underneath? To commute and then take it all off at work...........that takes some commitment.

Ive stewed in leather in ancient times,even perforated its real hot and clammy,if it gets soaked in sweat too many times the smell is flat un-attractive,and the salt kills it.

Even in my full ventilation top quality german made riding pants its hard to have enough air sometimes.

I admire your toughness and commitment. If I crashed everyday Id wear leather.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:46 AM   #52
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Spackler View Post
I have had a Langlitz jacket and Western Jeans since 1997. Plain and simple, they're the best. All this whale foreskin talk is bullshit. Go visit the place. The old ladies have been there forever. The shop is so old and funky you'd swear they're about to go under. But they've been in that building like forever and the fourth generation Langlitz family member is about to take it over. Won't sell out. Won't cheapen methods or materials. Family history. Stand behind everything they make. Made in the USA. It doesn't get any better than that. I swear that if you visit the place, you'll buy and never regret your decision.

I've tried a bunch of other stuff (Aerostich one-piece, Rukka Armas, Klim Badlands, 'stich Falstaff) and I still prefer the Langlitz.

If it's within your budget, get the leathers and don't look back.
Langlitz doesnt make provisions for armor?
Old 07-29-2013, 09:52 AM   #53
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorTroy View Post
I have a pair of riding pants from them and like them A LOT.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:53 AM   #54
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
you folks that ride with preferated Vanson leathers .. how do you handle wet/cold nasty conditions.

in 90f+ temps .. wearing heavy anything, leather or otherwise gets pretty darn HOT.
I agree,Ive got a full perf leather jacket hanging in the closet,love to sell it but paid 320.00 for it and it wont bring 50.00 around here in extreme heat land.
Leather perforations compared to Textile.........no match.

Leather hates sweat,salt and body excretions destroy it from the inside out,cleaning leather is a royal pain. Rain and leather suck,takes forever to dry and become pliable again.

Leather is barely a memory for most street riders today,modern textiles have taken its place for most. For posing and playing superbiker leather has no equal.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:06 AM   #55
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
I agree,Ive got a full perf leather jacket hanging in the closet,love to sell it but paid 320.00 for it and it wont bring 50.00 around here in extreme heat land.

Leather is barely a memory for most street riders today,modern textiles have taken its place for most.
What size is it? Sleeve length?

Perhaps in warmer areas your second statement is true. Leather is still king in other areas.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:13 AM   #56
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,769
Quote:
Langlitz doesnt make provisions for armor?
Quote:
Leather perforations compared to Textile.........no match.

Leather hates sweat,salt and body excretions destroy it from the inside out,cleaning leather is a royal pain. Rain and leather suck,takes forever to dry and become pliable again.

Leather is barely a memory for most street riders today,modern textiles have taken its place for most. For posing and playing superbiker leather has no equal.
my BMW Kangaroo Jacket and pants does real well recovering from wet. but I've not got a total drenching yet.

what worry about is lack of armour ... BMW jacket has thin armour for elbows. no clue if it's reactive.

BMW leather covers for abrasion but not so much for impact. note my BMW leathers are from the 80's, made in west Germany by Stadier for BMW.

we've had a relatively mild summer for Tulsa. it's only recently reached 90f &100f ..humidity has been super high. just had a storm blow through, power just restored from 3 days down.
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:28 AM   #57
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
What size is it? Sleeve length?

Perhaps in warmer areas your second statement is true. Leather is still king in other areas.
Its a Moto-GP perf jacket,comes with thermal liner.
It meaures 26" from top of shoulder to end of wrist area.
Says X-Large,I usually wear a large and bought it a little big so I could fit another layer under it. Black/Gray. Ive worn it 3 or 4 times.

I live in Nor-Cal,Chico. Summer is either 100 to 110 or high 90's clear into Fall. Just too hot for a heavier jacket
Old 07-29-2013, 10:32 AM   #58
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
my BMW Kangaroo Jacket and pants does real well recovering from wet. but I've not got a total drenching yet.

what worry about is lack of armour ... BMW jacket has thin armour for elbows. no clue if it's reactive.

BMW leather covers for abrasion but not so much for impact. note my BMW leathers are from the 80's, made in west Germany by Stadier for BMW.

we've had a relatively mild summer for Tulsa. it's only recently reached 90f &100f ..humidity has been super high. just had a storm blow through, power just restored from 3 days down.
As a longtime dirtrider,I value armor.
Most street crashes involve solid thumps more then long slides.
Ive no doubt leather is better for sliding,my average of street crashes is a total of 1 since 1975 so Im not banging around on the pavemento a lot.

On the dirt a crash per ride is about normal,armor is good.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:34 AM   #59
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Tad small for me but... I am sure you could get back at least half your investment in the Flee market here.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:48 PM   #60
HOFNAR OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Laugh

Quote:
It gets hot up in Placer.............how in the heck can a person wear leather with kevlar jeans and padding underneath? To commute and then take it all off at work...........that takes some commitment.

Ive stewed in leather in ancient times,even perforated its real hot and clammy,if it gets soaked in sweat too many times the smell is flat un-attractive,and the salt kills it.

Even in my full ventilation top quality german made riding pants its hard to have enough air sometimes.

I admire your toughness and commitment. If I crashed everyday Id wear leather.
You don't have to tell me about heat, brotha, I live up about 20 minutes north of Sac. I leave home bright and early before the heat really kicks in and by the time I get to the Bay Area, there's usually about a 20-30 degree change in the temperature. Thankfully, I don't have to do that commute everyday.
I may be interested in your leather jacket if you can give me more info about it. Or, maybe send me a pic. I'm about 6'2 and 225lbs. Is that similar to your build?
HOFNAR is online now   Reply With Quote