Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2013, 07:19 PM   #61
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 39,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernalpanx View Post
I am trying to ride a legal Chinese Benelli ( designed in Italy built in China) ... I love the bike the ride everything... Not thrilled with dealer support ... Living in Chinavis awesome ... Everyday I get to say OIC ... Only in China
Kernalpanx,

I don't think I'm alone in saying it would be great if you'd want to post up a thread on riding in China. Even just routine commuting etc for you. Pics would be awesome.

Cheers & Welcome.

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:20 PM   #62
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddiedog View Post
I tried it and ended up losing top-end power. It was like a rocket for a 250 up until around 60, then it would be revving too high for the speed. A fresh set of rollers with the stock configuration made it sound normal again. I would have done DR Pulley sliders if it hadn't blown up on me, they're supposedly the holy grail.

As for autopsy, I'm unsure what happened. The engine was completely seized after it cooled off. I managed to trade it as-is, not running, for a working Yamaha Vino 125, so I cut my losses and didn't think twice about it. That said though, the Vino was the single WORST scooter I've ever owned. It had no power for a 125, got 70mpg at best, and I felt like I was riding my 50cc Honda Metropolitan again...

The Vino 125 is not the fastest 125 out there, but it is dead reliable. 24,000 trouble free miles so far. I can usually cruise at 55 mph on flat roads. It does get exactly 70 mpg, and has a one gallon tank, so you have to carry extra gas. I strap a one gallon plastic gas can onto the luggage rack. Since you have to remove whatever is on the rack to get to the gas filler anyway. But I like it better than having a failure prone $200 electric fuel pump like my Zuma.

I had a Metropolitan before I got the Vino. Simply put, it wouldn't keep up with city traffic, the Vino will. Acceleration is noticeably faster, and top speed is 15 mph faster.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:09 PM   #63
Kernalpanx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen View Post
Kernalpanx,

I don't think I'm alone in saying it would be great if you'd want to post up a thread on riding in China. Even just routine commuting etc for you. Pics would be awesome.

Cheers & Welcome.
Thanks ... Will do.. Just need to find a place to host files....
Until then ... Here is a example of pricing for illegal bikes in china. .... Not government approved for true licensing ... You can buy fake plates and drivers license for 150 rmb ... Less then 23 dollars .... Actually 1 in 5 luxury cars have fake plates according to report from the traffic bureau ....
2013 AN650 Burgman Executive ABS
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=25365948913 Taobao is great site for buying things from china ... There are taobao agents that will arrange everything for foreigners overseas as well as expats living in China that need deodorant ........ I buy all my Costco goods off taobao ... Love Kirkland cashews and vitamins ...
Kernalpanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:16 PM   #64
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 39,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernalpanx View Post
Thanks ... Will do.. Just need to find a place to host files....
For picture hosting, may I recommend Smugmug.com

Good interface, high quality--- oh, and the owner provides us this website to play in without ads or popups.

(And I didn't even post my coupon code. )

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:33 PM   #65
Kernalpanx
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen View Post
For picture hosting, may I recommend Smugmug.com

Good interface, high quality--- oh, and the owner provides us this website to play in without ads or popups.

(And I didn't even post my coupon code. )
Site is only accessible via firewall here ... I went with photobucket ..... Thanks
Old 08-07-2013, 02:09 PM   #66
Kernalpanx
Adventurer

Never mind smugmug.com is working

Sent from my GT-I9308 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Old 08-08-2013, 07:32 AM   #67
maddiedog
PCX or GTFO

Oddometer: 238
http://imgur.com/ is way easier, just drag and drop the images in.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:35 AM   #68
maddiedog
PCX or GTFO

Oddometer: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
The Vino 125 is not the fastest 125 out there, but it is dead reliable. 24,000 trouble free miles so far. I can usually cruise at 55 mph on flat roads. It does get exactly 70 mpg, and has a one gallon tank, so you have to carry extra gas. I strap a one gallon plastic gas can onto the luggage rack. Since you have to remove whatever is on the rack to get to the gas filler anyway. But I like it better than having a failure prone $200 electric fuel pump like my Zuma.

I had a Metropolitan before I got the Vino. Simply put, it wouldn't keep up with city traffic, the Vino will. Acceleration is noticeably faster, and top speed is 15 mph faster.
The maintenance is great on it too, the valve shims mean you really don't ever have to do valve adjustments.

I had a Buddy 125 for awhile before the Vino... Just as solid, cheaper, and simpler. It got 85mpg and was faster too. My PCX is even more amazing -- 100mpg actual, way faster than both, and bigger and more stable. The PCX 150 is even more ridiculous with 105mpg actual, 70mph top speed, etc. It's a nice beast.

Nothing wrong with the Vino, it's just outdated and is far overshadowed by much better bikes out there.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:14 AM   #69
GREY.HOUND OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulbreeze View Post
~~
As a matter of fact, I just read an article on the Burgman which just got an update. I never paid much attention to them before, but it sounds like they changed up the body work and made them easier to push around, among some other tweaks.
~~
http://www.cyclenews.com/358/22128/R...rgman-ABS.aspx

Also the new Kymco 700

http://www.ridermagazine.com/top-sto...irst-ride.htm/
Old 08-14-2013, 04:49 PM   #70
Nevada
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
A good sign that Maxi-Scoots are likely to take off in America will be Honda bringing the Integra DCT (NC700 "scooter" variant) in.

Also, it should be noted that Suzuki's Burgman 200 looks to be heading this way. Not a Maxi, but another mid size addition.

It will be interesting to see what impact the new EU tiered licensing regime will have on scooters. Methink we're likely to see more of the "big mid" or "mini-maxi" scooters. One thing to keep in mind though is that the A2 tier, which is the intermediate step, has TWO restrictions. First is the 47hp restriction. The second restriction will work against a 400cc rocket scooter with a weight of 300lbs, is a hp/weight ratio restriction. IIRC, the restriction works out to a minimum weight of about 380lbs at 47hp. The BMW scoots are both above the power limit, although there may be factory restriction available. Fortunately, we don't have to deal with the petit tyrannies of the licensing restrictions here directly, but they still have an impact on the products we get. (See Honda CB500 family as an example.)
Nevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:36 PM   #71
AMAC1680
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
As nice as a NC 700 is its still a motorcycle.

A big part of the problem is that there is far more to a scooter than an auto trans. Step-thru with flat floors, low seat height and small wheels. Oh and a ride that doesn't weigh as much as a small boat.

As long as the scooter makers keep trying to sell scooters to motorcyclists they will fail. Theres a blurred line between scoot/MC. As the designs move to look more like cycles the usefulness of the scooter starts to fade away.

Displacement of 500-700cc is just an attempt to attract the crowd that needs topend. I've ridden Swings to China scoots and its a rare day I need to see 80mph.

But the US market , I assume by the new offerings, wants big. Big HP and scoots the size of small boats.

Some will say they make them that way because that's what people buy. Well their not buying many. Here the vast majority of scooters are 150cc or less.

Scooters such as the Kymco 300GTI and the SYM HD200 have been selling well and recive very possitive reviews. Both, with the exception of the big wheels, are more traditional scooters.

I rode an Harley for decades now health prevents me from swinging a leg over any bike. The powers that be should look close at the aging population. Making a scooter "sexy" isn't going to convince a young stud to give up his crotch rocket.

But a scoot of reasonable displacement and dimension will get some of us old dudes to take a closer look.

Just one mans thoughts.

Be Big,
AMAC
SYM RV200 EVO
Lance "Cali Classic" 125
AMAC1680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:26 PM   #72
Nevada
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMAC1680 View Post
As nice as a NC 700 is its still a motorcycle.

A big part of the problem is that there is far more to a scooter than an auto trans. Step-thru with flat floors, low seat height and small wheels. Oh and a ride that doesn't weigh as much as a small boat.
Not having had a chance to make the cheek to seat interface with an Integra, I can't say for sure, but it looks to me like simply sitting on it and then popping the leg over the center section should be pretty simple. Will it "cut it" for the dyed in the wool scooterist weaned on post-War Vespas? Probably not, but for many folks, it will do the trick. As for the weight, the Integra weighs a lot less than the Burgman 650, the BMW scoots and the new Kymco 700. It looks like a good option for those wanting to either "move down" somewhat from a large/powerful motorcycle, or move up from a mid-size scooter. When compared to a Honda Metropolitan, ya, it's massive. (A Goldwing is ginormous.) Is it the perfect scooter? Of course not. Such a beast doesn't exist.

Quote:
As long as the scooter makers keep trying to sell scooters to motorcyclists they will fail. Theres a blurred line between scoot/MC. As the designs move to look more like cycles the usefulness of the scooter starts to fade away.
Except you're looking at it the "wrong" way. It's just as valid to think of these as "Motorcycles" moving CLOSER to the Scooter mold, and picking up utility. Reading some of the reviews, it looks like the only significant shortcoming of the Integra as a "maxi" is the underseat storage. Perhaps the need to go to a top box (People GTi300 anyone??) and/or sidebags is a big problem for lanesplitters and filtering, but in 90% of the US, those two considerations are non-issues.

Quote:
Displacement of 500-700cc is just an attempt to attract the crowd that needs topend. I've ridden Swings to China scoots and its a rare day I need to see 80mph.
Noooo, it's an attempt to attract the crowd that wants EFFORTLESS acceleration when you have to jump from naught to 70 up an on ramp that's heading up a hill, before the oncoming traffic pulverizes you, while having two well fed First Worlder's on the scoot. It's not really about the top end, it's about acceleration in real world circumstances. Add in greater stability, a smoother motor (when going with multiple cylinders), and longer engine life/service intervals and there's a lot of upside to maxis. The downsides of course are cost, weight, not as "cute", and not as maneuverable. As long as the buyer/rider is cognizant of the tradeoffs, "all is well." Anybody who buys a 50cc Chinese four stroke and expects to run with Atlanta traffic almost deserves what happens to him, just as the fellow who is surprised that he gets ticketed because he put his 700cc "scooter" in a bike rack, and gets a hernia moving it out of the eeensie-weensie garage it's stored in.

Quote:
But the US market , I assume by the new offerings, wants big. Big HP and scoots the size of small boats.
Quote:
But a scoot of reasonable displacement and dimension will get some of us old dudes to take a closer look.
What's reasonable varies from individual to individual. Personally, the Maxis hold no attraction to me (except sort of the Integra, it's a beautiful bike, especially when put next to the CTX700), but even then, I'm not about to clamor for Honda to bring me one. A mid size? heck, I'll be looking at a PCX150 this weekend, and possibly a People GTi300. I'd like to experiment with a smaller bike, and unfortunately the number of MOTORCYCLES that have sub 600cc engines that aren't made for midgets is pretty limited, especially m/c's made for extended road use. I don't think I'll be parting with my ST1300 anytime soon though. btw, all this talk among scooterfolk about how inconvenient a "big bike" is makes no sense to me. I've got a 100k on ST1300s, including 3 years when one was my only transportation. Gearing up is the hassle for running down to the store. Once that's done, the ST is no more or less convenient, setting aside the handy topbox and side bags, than my SV650, which is almost 300lbs less than the ST. I don't see how knocking another 100-200lbs off that is going to make a big difference. Perhaps it doesn't compute because I'm not pushing the bike around. If I get the PCX, mayhap I'll get more perspective.

To quote a wise man:
"Just one mans thoughts."
Nevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:40 PM   #73
AMAC1680
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada View Post
Not having had a chance to make the cheek to seat interface with an Integra, I can't say for sure, but it looks to me like simply sitting on it and then popping the leg over the center section should be pretty simple. Will it "cut it" for the dyed in the wool scooterist weaned on post-War Vespas? Probably not, but for many folks, it will do the trick. As for the weight, the Integra weighs a lot less than the Burgman 650, the BMW scoots and the new Kymco 700. It looks like a good option for those wanting to either "move down" somewhat from a large/powerful motorcycle, or move up from a mid-size scooter. When compared to a Honda Metropolitan, ya, it's massive. (A Goldwing is ginormous.) Is it the perfect scooter? Of course not. Such a beast doesn't exist.

Except you're looking at it the "wrong" way. It's just as valid to think of these as "Motorcycles" moving CLOSER to the Scooter mold, and picking up utility. Reading some of the reviews, it looks like the only significant shortcoming of the Integra as a "maxi" is the underseat storage. Perhaps the need to go to a top box (People GTi300 anyone??) and/or sidebags is a big problem for lanesplitters and filtering, but in 90% of the US, those two considerations are non-issues.

Noooo, it's an attempt to attract the crowd that wants EFFORTLESS acceleration when you have to jump from naught to 70 up an on ramp that's heading up a hill, before the oncoming traffic pulverizes you, while having two well fed First Worlder's on the scoot. It's not really about the top end, it's about acceleration in real world circumstances. Add in greater stability, a smoother motor (when going with multiple cylinders), and longer engine life/service intervals and there's a lot of upside to maxis. The downsides of course are cost, weight, not as "cute", and not as maneuverable. As long as the buyer/rider is cognizant of the tradeoffs, "all is well." Anybody who buys a 50cc Chinese four stroke and expects to run with Atlanta traffic almost deserves what happens to him, just as the fellow who is surprised that he gets ticketed because he put his 700cc "scooter" in a bike rack, and gets a hernia moving it out of the eeensie-weensie garage it's stored in.

What's reasonable varies from individual to individual. Personally, the Maxis hold no attraction to me (except sort of the Integra, it's a beautiful bike, especially when put next to the CTX700), but even then, I'm not about to clamor for Honda to bring me one. A mid size? heck, I'll be looking at a PCX150 this weekend, and possibly a People GTi300. I'd like to experiment with a smaller bike, and unfortunately the number of MOTORCYCLES that have sub 600cc engines that aren't made for midgets is pretty limited, especially m/c's made for extended road use. I don't think I'll be parting with my ST1300 anytime soon though. btw, all this talk among scooterfolk about how inconvenient a "big bike" is makes no sense to me. I've got a 100k on ST1300s, including 3 years when one was my only transportation. Gearing up is the hassle for running down to the store. Once that's done, the ST is no more or less convenient, setting aside the handy topbox and side bags, than my SV650, which is almost 300lbs less than the ST. I don't see how knocking another 100-200lbs off that is going to make a big difference. Perhaps it doesn't compute because I'm not pushing the bike around. If I get the PCX, mayhap I'll get more perspective.

To quote a wise man:
"Just one mans thoughts."
I get where your coming from, although my old HD was excitement plus if I had to go from naught to 70 fast yet I survived. A maxi is a PITA anywhere but the highway.

Ok how hard is it to put a 250 or 300 thumper in a PCX size package? In my case every few hundred pounds matter. If the Kymco and SYM sales of the HD and People series are to be belived then maybe people will take notice.

That said I'm seeing a bunch of kymco dealers getting ready to reduce all those 500s nobody bought while holding the line on the 300GTI. Why? Most who will shell out the bucks for a slow 500cc scooter will choose a fast MC instead.

I just can't imagine the "motorcycle moving closer to scooter" thing working. Most cycle riders have little desire to be seated on a scooter unless all other choices are gone. If they were you'd see more scooters on the road now. No they move down because they have to.

I didn't get off the hog until I needed others to help me get on it.

Time will tell, the buying public will make the final choice.
In the meantime there will be a glut of "motorscootercycles" on showroom floors waiting to become leftovers.

Safe ride my friends.

AMAC
SYM RV200 EVO
Lance "Cali Classic" 125
Old 08-15-2013, 04:36 AM   #74
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,639
The Kymco 300s have not sold well. They have been heavily discounted. My local dealer go 2 DT300s and 2 GT300i's in 2012. He still has 3 of them left. He had much better luck selling the Xciting 500. The only smaller, lighter "large" scooter that seems to be selling well in the US is the BV350. It will be interesting to see if the Forza 300 sells.

klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:09 AM   #75
AMAC1680
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
The Kymco 300s have not sold well. They have been heavily discounted. My local dealer go 2 DT300s and 2 GT300i's in 2012. He still has 3 of them left. He had much better luck selling the Xciting 500. The only smaller, lighter "large" scooter that seems to be selling well in the US is the BV350. It will be interesting to see if the Forza 300 sells.
Dang the two dealers here are holding tight on the 300i price. They are discounting the downtown 300. I'm not a fan of that bike and many complain that its a tight fit. In these parts few buy a scooter for the interstate.

The same two 500's have been on the floor since February and they have cut the price on those.

As far as the BV350 if its selling well it just proves my point. That's a scooter never to be confused with a cycle. A true step thru flat floor scoot. With plenty of power it's a nice ride that doesn't look like it came from a boat builder.

Be Big,
AMAC
SYM RV200 EVO
Lance "Cali Classic" 125