Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2013, 08:46 AM   #76
CaptnJim
Scootist

Oddometer: 1,032
I don't have a maxi-scoot. Heck, I didn't particularly want a scooter. Any scooter. We have always been motorcyclists... OK, bikers. Road bikes. Full dress touring machines. Sport bikes. Cruisers. My favorite ride was a Harley Ultra with a color matched Bushtec trailer. A scooter wasn't even on the radar for me.

My last bike was a "little" V-Strom. Other interests kept us occupied, and we weren't doing much riding. My wife got rid of her last bike before I got the V-Strom, and she wasn't overly excited about riding on the back of that bike. I was about ready to be done with riding when she brought up the "scooter thing" again.

Looking, researching, test riding (where they'd allow it) led us to the Honda PCX 150. It is not a maxi. I pushed it to 68 once, just to see if it would really do it. I got less than 100 mpg that tank.

If I were yearning for more long distance cruising, I'd probably buy another sports car. The PCXes have just been a flat-out fun-fest. Riding in traffic used to be at the very bottom of my list of fun things to do. Now, we look forward to "urban cruising." Don't get me wrong, a fine two lane with some twisties is still my favorite, BUT we have discovered that bringing the speed down from 75 mph to 45 increased the fun. The lightweight and absolute EASE of these scooters convinced me.

We have discovered side streets and neighborhoods that we never saw from the Interstate. It takes a little longer to get where we're going... we're retired... doesn't matter.

Just mentioning that a change of route could make for a change of attitude. Life is more relaxing when you aren't doing battle with the rush hour arteries clogged with mind-numb drivers.

With 14" wheels, the PCX is less twitchy than the small wheel scooters. Maybe the fact that it is more "motorcycle looking" swayed us? I just know these things are FUN as well as FUNctional. When moving them around a parking spot, they are as easy to move as a bicycle; they out-accelerate the cars from the stoplight; and there's room under the seat for a couple small bags of groceries.

Coming from a motorcycle background to a scooter... I have no idea if we were on Honda's radar as a market-to group, but we are constantly asked about these scoots by people in parking lots and at stoplights. I have to think they aren't familiar with two-wheel traveling, but they are interested. Besides the typical "How fast? What kind of mileage? How much?" questions, people always say, "Those sure look like fun!" Apparently, we must look like we are enjoying ourselves.

At this point, from our perspective, a bigger scoot would not necessarily translate to more ease or fun.

Best wishes,
Captain Jim
Old 08-15-2013, 09:29 AM   #77
AMAC1680
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJim View Post
I don't have a maxi-scoot. Heck, I didn't particularly want a scooter. Any scooter. We have always been motorcyclists... OK, bikers. Road bikes. Full dress touring machines. Sport bikes. Cruisers. My favorite ride was a Harley Ultra with a color matched Bushtec trailer. A scooter wasn't even on the radar for me.

My last bike was a "little" V-Strom. Other interests kept us occupied, and we weren't doing much riding. My wife got rid of her last bike before I got the V-Strom, and she wasn't overly excited about riding on the back of that bike. I was about ready to be done with riding when she brought up the "scooter thing" again.

Looking, researching, test riding (where they'd allow it) led us to the Honda PCX 150. It is not a maxi. I pushed it to 68 once, just to see if it would really do it. I got less than 100 mpg that tank.

If I were yearning for more long distance cruising, I'd probably buy another sports car. The PCXes have just been a flat-out fun-fest. Riding in traffic used to be at the very bottom of my list of fun things to do. Now, we look forward to "urban cruising." Don't get me wrong, a fine two lane with some twisties is still my favorite, BUT we have discovered that bringing the speed down from 75 mph to 45 increased the fun. The lightweight and absolute EASE of these scooters convinced me.

We have discovered side streets and neighborhoods that we never saw from the Interstate. It takes a little longer to get where we're going... we're retired... doesn't matter.

Just mentioning that a change of route could make for a change of attitude. Life is more relaxing when you aren't doing battle with the rush hour arteries clogged with mind-numb drivers.

With 14" wheels, the PCX is less twitchy than the small wheel scooters. Maybe the fact that it is more "motorcycle looking" swayed us? I just know these things are FUN as well as FUNctional. When moving them around a parking spot, they are as easy to move as a bicycle; they out-accelerate the cars from the stoplight; and there's room under the seat for a couple small bags of groceries.

Coming from a motorcycle background to a scooter... I have no idea if we were on Honda's radar as a market-to group, but we are constantly asked about these scoots by people in parking lots and at stoplights. I have to think they aren't familiar with two-wheel traveling, but they are interested. Besides the typical "How fast? What kind of mileage? How much?" questions, people always say, "Those sure look like fun!" Apparently, we must look like we are enjoying ourselves.

At this point, from our perspective, a bigger scoot would not necessarily translate to more ease or fun.

Best wishes,
Captain Jim
Well said sir !
I think the PCX is a great scoot with proper dimensions. I'm not looking for a maxi either but need to be able to do 10 or 15 miles on the highway to avoid a ferry ride or 30 mi trip out of the way. Maybe some two-up at the beach.

I also want the flat floor and that limits the choices.
Happy to hear you're having fun on the Hondas.

Be Big,
AMAC
SYM RV200 EVO
Lance "Cali Classic" 125
AMAC1680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:59 PM   #78
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 40,344
Capt. Jim- Thanks for your well stated thoughts.

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:23 PM   #79
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,998
I have owned and ridden everything but a Harley. I have ridden a couple of Sportsters, and even seriously considered buying one. But they are just so small. My Zuma 125 has more room. I have always considered myself a motorcyclist, not a biker. Many of my bikes have been v-twin cruisers (all Japanese) but I still considered myself a motorcyclist, and always will, no matter what I'm riding, even if it is a Harley. I don't dress in a pirate costume, but I have ridden with the Hells Angels a couple of times (on charity runs) just to see what it was like. They seemed nice enough, but just not my type. I would be looking for a nice used EVO powered Harley big twin right now if not for all my medical issues. That's a lot of money to spend for something I might not be able to ride for very long. I have no issues riding scooters, in fact I often feel "superior" to many other scooter riders around here, on my Japanese scooters and Stella, because most other scooters I see around here are Chinese. It's like, everytime I see one, I think to myself, "get a real scooter"

I am not vain, and have nothing to prove by what I ride. If I were I would have gotten myself a Harley (my favorite bike) a long time ago. Instead I have never owned one. But I don't need to spend a lot of money to enhance my ego. I'll ride pretty much anything, including a Chinese scooter, as long as it is not pink or has flowers on it.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:47 PM   #80
Scott_F
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Maxi-scooters ( < 400cc) have their place, which is on the highway. A 400cc scooter is perfect for commuting from outside town where there is 30 or 40 miles of highway to accommodate. The 650 Burgman is more meant for the highway than the city. There it will cruise all day, effortlessly, at medium revs in the torque band so it has good acceleration on the highway, even in Montana, where traffic moves at 80 mph. The storage and smoothness and weather protection and other comforts are an additional advantage over a classic motorcycle.

I also ride a cruiser, a fully-dressed 1100cc V-Star. I love to ride it, and it is also built for the highway. It's just as much fun to ride, but it's not the same experience. From a practical point of view, we ride the cruisers when we go away for a weekend and we ride the scooters when we go away for two weeks.

I believe there would be a lot more scooters on the road if Suzuki and Honda and company sold them more effectively. I see a lot more Spyders on the road (a $30,000 snowmobile on wheels) and often wonder whether the people who bought them knew about Burgmans. They buy them for the same reasons we bought the Burgmans --- they are easy to get into/onto, hold a lot, are very comfortable, are excellent on the highway and are a lot of fun.

Around a large city like Calgary, a 200cc scooter fits the bill. It is cheap to ride and goes fast enough to ride in freeway traffic, although it has minimal storage or other creature comforts. In a smaller town, a 125cc Vino is perfect.

Anyway, I see scooters gaining in popularity, but slowly. The manufacturers don't put enough into selling scooters here for it to happen fast, although BMW may change that. They know how to advertise, and the others may counter. Who knows? I'm glad I have mine.

Ride safe, whatever you're on
Scott Fraser
Calgary
Scott_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:39 PM   #81
windburn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,185
The New BMW maxi scooter

This last week I had a good look at the 2 models of BMW Maxi scooter. They brake the $10,000 barrier at $10,000 and $11,000. I'm in the Market for one to replace the Silver Wing I just sold.

I've sold my home, all my cars, and my Silver Wing but I would be in divorce court if I had pull the trigger in the middle of the big move. So this sign that The dealer has displayed would not work for a few months.

windburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:48 PM   #82
Rugby4life
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by windburn View Post
This last week I had a good look at the 2 models of BMW Maxi scooter. They brake the $10,000 barrier at $10,000 and $11,000. I'm in the Market for one to replace the Silver Wing I just sold.

I've sold my home, all my cars, and my Silver Wing but I would be in divorce court if I had pull the trigger in the middle of the big move. So this sign that The dealer has displayed would not work for a few months.

I've got about 9k miles on my GT now and am greatly impressed with it. I did a 1400 mile highway trip last month and it was just as capable as my R1100RT was. I would like some more square footage for the rider's portion of the seat though.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:13 PM   #83
Pilgrim21784
Pilgrim21784

Oddometer: 93
Just My Opinions On Maxi-Scooters

JMO: Having been through a 250cc Reflex (which I consider barely a "maxi"), MP3 400, TMAX 500 & currently riding a '12 Silverwing 582, I'm convinced that the 500cc ride meets all my requirements in weight, HP and general ride preferences.

It just has to have ABS and be sub-500#. As a 63 y.o. relatively inexperienced rider with a bad back, knees and ankle - a lowered seat TMAX with ABS would be my perfect ride.

I only sold my '09 TMAX because of no ABS (US models only; its been available in Europe w/ABS for years). I'm aware that many highly skilled riders don't like ABS.

For me, ABS is an absolute necessity. My riding environment has Bambi (and turkey buzzards eating road kill) as my greatest risk factors. I'm a retired bum and avoid cager environments in most instances.

I'll be long dead before I have the skill level to equal or exceed ABS performance, most especially in wet conditions. I've only been riding since 2007 and will not ride a non-ABS scooter (excepting the small bore beach or around town stuff).

Interestingly, my riding buddies who meet the highly skilled classification and previously gigged me about being an ABS wuss will no longer bet money on head to head tests of higher speed (50>+) panic stop braking runs in wet conditions.

That is both a testament to their smarts, experience with me and all available data. The few who did try it against my SW at 50mph+ & $100 a pop lost money in every try (& some lost it and crashed trying).

So, for me, my '12 SW will go the distance until an ABS TMAX (+ a re-worked seat lowered to 30") is available in the US. Low step through, <500#, ABS, PWR of 11:1 or less, seat height 30" or less and I'm good to go.

Pilgrim21784 screwed with this post 08-28-2013 at 01:32 PM
Pilgrim21784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:38 PM   #84
Krusty ...
What? Me hurry?

Oddometer: 7,596
Pilgrim, I hear you about the lack of ABS on the US Tmax. The tmax brakes are a big leap beyond the binders of all my other bikes- and I really tiptoe around when the streets are wet. I'm on the original Battlax's, 2,400 miles, but four years old. I'm just about to pull the trigger on a set of Diablo's. Hoping they'll provide more slick street confidence.

Other than that, it's a hoot.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:48 PM   #85
Pilgrim21784
Pilgrim21784

Oddometer: 93
Yep, i completely understand and agree with your comments. My only giggle issue with the TMAX was a "WTF, I'm doing way beyond the speed limit and didn't notice". That sucker is fast without even trying.

The TMAX brakes (US) will stop you real quick, in many cases, way beyond a less than expert rider's capability to handle. It taught me that one has to B&B (brace and brake) to deal with inertia forces. Been there and luckily didn't drop it, but had more than one close call.

My realistic view of riding capability (for me) is that ABS is a must have option. Since my retirement and initiation to riding in '07, I've become an ABS only rider. It has saved my low skill butt many a time dodging Bambi or buzzards.

Highly skilled dudes will disagree, but for us mere mortals - in any kind of emergency stop situation, ABS will save your butt. JMO

In seriously wet conditions - I'll leave it at this:

Bring some cash & I'll be happy to do head to head at 50 MPH panic stop runs at $100 a pop against my SW. I'm not a very skilled rider but if you can beat me (and Honda's ABS combined braking) - I'll gladly pay the tab and in addition, buy you some good beer or wine, your choice.

Regarding tires, I'm sorry but can't offer any useful information. I bought mine ('09) with the OEMs at 1200 miles and sold it before needing replacement. I understand that there are serious performance differences between tires but its beyond my knowledge base. Other ADV Riders will surely have better information.

The big difference for me with ABS is not having tire lock-up and its related problems in emergency situations. That has seriously saved my dumb-ass, inexperienced butt many times.

The common sense issue for any new or less experienced rider is that acquiring the skill set to equal or exceed ABS performance has exceedingly higher risks. Highly skilled riders can deal with emergency situations as a matter of course, but to get there they have had to experience a high degree of risk - and survived. For less than expert riders, ABS is a gift from the gods. JMO

Pilgrim21784 screwed with this post 08-28-2013 at 09:55 PM
Pilgrim21784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:45 PM   #86
DougFromKentucky
Just a good 'ole boy

Oddometer: 412
I have moved to ABS myself (have it on my Burgman 650 Executive). The reason for me is that I am aging and my reflexes just aren't as good as they used to be. I still have my V-Strom 650 without ABS but am finding that I rarely ride it anymore. It has just got to hard to climb on the bike. I also have joint issues in my hands and pulling a clutch hurts now. Guess I will be selling the V-Strom. Too bad as I have it set up for max comfort riding. Oh well....

Used to say I would never ride a bike with ABS, now I have reached the point that I want it.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

USMC 1970-1978: HMH-463 Evacuation of Saigon - April 1975, Evacuation of Phnom Phen during the Killing Fields Spring of 1975
DougFromKentucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:56 AM   #87
aidanpryde18
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusty ... View Post
I'm on the original Battlax's, 2,400 miles, but four years old. I'm just about to pull the trigger on a set of Diablo's. Hoping they'll provide more slick street confidence.
I have a Silverwing and when my OEM Hoops wore out, I switched to Diablos and I will say, they are bar none, amazing tires. Excellent grip on any surface. Never had a hint of traction loss whether wet, dry, warm or cold. They don't have quite the lifespan of the Hoops, but it is totally worth the trade-off. I rode my Wing on the Devil's Triangle and my buddy on a Triumph Legend was struggling to keep up. I sparked the center stand a couple of times and never felt like I was light on traction. I can't imagine the kind of fun I could get into on a T-Max with Diablos.
aidanpryde18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:50 PM   #88
Motovista
Parts is Parts

Oddometer: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMAC1680 View Post

Ok how hard is it to put a 250 or 300 thumper in a PCX size package?
The Kymco Grand Vista, or Grand Dink, was just such a bike. It was smaller than many 150s, and had a 250cc engine. The thing flat moved, and there were, and might still be, lots of performance parts for it. It had such dubious advances as Mirrors that electrically folded in. The Kymco Bet and Win was also a very small 250cc scooter. Not many were imported as a 250cc though.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:31 PM   #89
DiabloADV
Semi-Occasional

Oddometer: 2,215
I've been wanting a good highway bike but haven't been able to decide between a sport-tourer or a big tourer or...whatever.

I now have a R1150RT on long-term loan from a friend that's overseas for a couple of years. I really like it, even for my quickie get-outta-the-house rides through the local hills. I like it enough to have figured on getting a R1200RT of my own at some point.

That said, my next bike will be a C650GT. The luxury maxi-scoot just pushes all the right buttons, for less than the cost of a used 1200RT. All the things I like about the RT, for less money and scooter sit-and-go simplicity.

When looking at the C650GT side-by-side with an RT in the dealer showroom, the scoot strikes me as a bargain sport-tourer, not as an expensive scooter.

'91 Bill Holland Steel w/Dura Ace
'01 Z3 3.0 Coupe. The Clownshoe.
DiabloADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:38 PM   #90
Rugby4life
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloADV View Post
I've been wanting a good highway bike but haven't been able to decide between a sport-tourer or a big tourer or...whatever.

I now have a R1150RT on long-term loan from a friend that's overseas for a couple of years. I really like it, even for my quickie get-outta-the-house rides through the local hills. I like it enough to have figured on getting a R1200RT of my own at some point.

That said, my next bike will be a C650GT. The luxury maxi-scoot just pushes all the right buttons, for less than the cost of a used 1200RT. All the things I like about the RT, for less money and scooter sit-and-go simplicity.

When looking at the C650GT side-by-side with an RT in the dealer showroom, the scoot strikes me as a bargain sport-tourer, not as an expensive scooter.
Agreed, I look at it as a midsized sport-touring bike. I did a 1400 mile trip last month and am doing a 2k mile trip this weekend. I also commute daily / year round on it.