Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2013, 08:14 AM   #1
Offcamber OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,682
Lucky rider....

Quote:
Nick O'Leary, Florida State tight end and grandson of golf legend Jack Nicklaus, not only survived but walked away from the insane crash in the above video.
As originally reported Wednesday night by Bud Elliott at Tomahawk Nation, the accident occurred on May 2 in Tallahassee. After slamming into the front of a car that pulled in front of him, O'Leary slid between 75 and 100 feet while the remnants of his motorcycle crashed into the windshield of the Star Metro Bus.

According to the accident report obtained by Tomahawk Nation, O'Leary was treated for non-life threatening injuries at Tallahassee Memorial Hospital while the driver of the Lexus was cited as the cause of the crash for violating O'Leary's right of way. Seminoles head coach Jimbo Fisher confirmed that Fisher was healthy and ready for the start of camp during ACC Media Days.

O'Leary, who will be a junior this fall, was the top tight end in the country coming out of high school in 2011. He has 33 career catches for 416 yards and four touchdowns so far during his Florida State career.
New article didn't say what he had one for gear but I'm guessing he had on some.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-...112318949.html

I don't know what the speed limit is on that road but it looked like he was going pretty good....I would have slowed seeing the car already sticking part way out and the bus dropping off.

205??

Offcamber screwed with this post 07-25-2013 at 08:22 AM
Offcamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:25 AM   #2
IronJackWhitton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Hard to tell on the gear but it looks like T-shirt, jeans, and sneakers -- if so, he got very, very lucky (of course they could have been padded/armoured jeans who knows). Actually, regardless, he got lucky -- if he had swerved a bit more or been thrown slightly differently it might have been his body coming to a sudden stop against the bus.
IronJackWhitton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:41 AM   #3
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 733
The kid who was walking in front of the bus towards the point of impact was pretty damn lucky too.

Probably should have been crossing the street behind the bus.

Bus driver must have been shell shocked.

Not to mention the rider.

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:53 AM   #4
Neal J Hinerman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
I believe the kid was going to get his bicycle off the rack on the front of the bus.

I can't figure out what the car was doing. It doesn't look like it was turning, but rather that the driver lost control. Definitely a scary moment for all involved.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:59 AM   #5
Swashbuckler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
Judging by the first car that went by, it appeared he was going quite a bit faster, but only he will know. It's still hard to believe he walked away though.

Previous Bikes: 2010 KTM 690 Enduro R / 2009 F800GS / 2010 Triumph Daytona / 2004 CRF450R - Supermoto / 2007 GSXR 750 / 1991 Yamaha XJ600 Secca II
Swashbuckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:21 AM   #6
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,626
Unless he's wearing a flesh-colored jacket, it's pretty clear from the video that he's just wearing a T-shirt up top. Possibly armored jeans, but what are the odds of that if he can't be bothered to wear a jacket either?

Basically everyone in that video was lucky as hell. I'm impressed with the strength of that bus windshield!

Edit: watching it again, it looks like he's got at least a few seconds to try and stop or swerve behind the car, but it doesn't really seem like he was braking much, if at all.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:29 PM   #7
RideDualSport.com
TPB all the way

Oddometer: 1,450
Looks like he is wearing a baseball cap turned around backwards and flip-flops, trademarks of a highly skilled rider.
Alaska Deep Adventure
RideDualSport.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:38 PM   #8
TinDog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloMo228 View Post
it looks like he's got at least a few seconds to try and stop or swerve behind the car, but it doesn't really seem like he was braking much, if at all.
I've watched a couple times too, but I'm seeing the rear tire lifting off the ground for at least a few yards before impact. If so, that little bit of "upward mobility" might have been the difference between crashing ON TO the car rather than IN TO the car.
TinDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:15 PM   #9
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinDog View Post
I've watched a couple times too, but I'm seeing the rear tire lifting off the ground for at least a few yards before impact. If so, that little bit of "upward mobility" might have been the difference between crashing ON TO the car rather than IN TO the car.
Watched it again, you're right about the wheel lifting. Still seems like he was either going way too fast, not braking early enough, not paying attention, or all three.

What I want to know is what the hell was the car driver trying to accomplish? It looks like he/she is trying to make a right turn into the oncoming lane (and the front of the stopped bus).
Old 07-25-2013, 02:18 PM   #10
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,081
All you gear gestapo posters are fucking sick. I wear the gear. My two sons race and I have chased their ambulances from new Hampshire to Daytona. They wear the best gear money can buy. But you people...

You are all morons. The low IQ type. This clip showed the worst and most common killer accident for motorcyclists. The guy was lucky, but you wouldn't have been any luckier with your gear. Every one of you who chimed in on the gear thing is an idiot and a novice. Go away.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:24 PM   #11
IRideASlowBike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantah View Post
all you gear gestapo posters are fucking sick. I wear the gear. My two sons race and i have chased their ambulances from new hampshire to daytona. They wear the best gear money can buy. But you people...

You are all morons. The low iq type. This clip showed the worst and most common killer accident for motorcyclists. The guy was lucky, but you wouldn't have been any luckier with your gear. Every one of you who chimed in on the gear thing is an idiot and a novice. Go away.

+1
IRideASlowBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:30 PM   #12
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
All you gear gestapo posters are fucking sick. I wear the gear. My two sons race and I have chased their ambulances from new Hampshire to Daytona. They wear the best gear money can buy. But you people...

You are all morons. The low IQ type. This clip showed the worst and most common killer accident for motorcyclists. The guy was lucky, but you wouldn't have been any luckier with your gear. Every one of you who chimed in on the gear thing is an idiot and a novice. Go away.
Thank you for adding to the discussion.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:39 PM   #13
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloMo228 View Post
Thank you for adding to the discussion.
You didn't offer a discussion. You offered a fucking judgement! What is it with people like you? Based on your profile, you are clearly a novice, and a novice for many years. Decades maybe. Yet you jumped on that video to lecture us. How arrogant!

Don't lay your insecurities on us.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:41 PM   #14
ongrade
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:

Thank you for calling out the annoying asswipes who feel the need to share their superior knowledge in every fucking thread.
ongrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:45 PM   #15
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Quote:
You didn't offer a discussion. You offered a fucking judgement! What is it with people like you? Based on your profile, you are clearly a novice, and a novice for many years. Decades maybe. Yet you jumped on that video to lecture us. How arrogant!

Don't lay your insecurities on us.
You got all that based on my profile, did you? Wouldn't want to be offering any "judgements" or lecturing anyone, now.