And the dick measuring contest begins.
IRideASlowBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:53 PM   #17
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloMo228 View Post
You got all that based on my profile, did you? Wouldn't want to be offering any "judgements" or lecturing anyone, now.
yes I did.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:06 PM   #18
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,656
It really doesn't matter whether you think I'm a novice, or really whether I am a novice. There is value in trying to deconstruct "accidents" like this rather than just throwing up your hands and saying "whoop, well, good thing he got lucky, hope that never happens to me."

You don't have to have 50 years of riding under your belt, or race experience, or whatever the hell it is you think pushes a rider past the point of being a novice in order to try and learn something from stuff like this.

Am I glad this guy wrecked? Hell, no. I'm glad he escaped relatively unhurt from a bad accident that could have been much worse. But you can't look at that video and say he made no mistakes. Could he have completely avoided the collision? Maybe, maybe not. We don't have all the information, only a low-res clip from a couple cameras on a bus.

Not sure why you're so offended by that. I think his lack of gear is a poor decision. It doesn't appear that he did all he could have to avoid hitting the car. Analyzing the footage can help myself - and others - think about what they might do in a similar situation, and maybe avoid flying over the hood of a car, narrowly avoiding death or serious injury.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:24 PM   #19
Wout67
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,162
We wear and advocate ATGATT because it reduces the risk of serious injury in a wreck. Does it mean we're bulletproof and wont get hurt? Of course not. Does it mean if we don't go out looking like a knight at the round table we will die a bloody mess in a ditch? Of course not.

I as a motorcycle rider want to minimize the potential injuries that may occur should I wreck. Therefore, I wear gear.

Should another rider decide to go out in flip-flops and a wife beater that's his prerogative. However, if his wreck gets posted on the internet, and he walks away unscathed, a discussion will definitely ensue.

Wear gear, don't wear gear. It's your decision.

IMHO, the rider made several bad choices, and is damn lucky to walk away from this wreck.

www.iamsecond.com
Wout67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:31 PM   #20
henshao
Bained

Oddometer: 607
I think you guys are right, the stoppie did actually make his get off less severe. Time to practice a new defensive maneuver
henshao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:53 PM   #21
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,533
Rider fault...
thousands of cases every year where riders were "cut off" and considered not the riders fault. But when that car was making a u turn there was no bike in sight and looks like the rider had a couple hundred yards to stop, not the last 20, and he was in a bus zone which would make the limit slower. Bike is likely double the speed limit and not paying attention.

Fortunate he made out ok...

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:03 AM   #22
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal J Hinerman View Post

I believe the kid was going to get his bicycle off the rack on the front of the bus.

I can't figure out what the car was doing. It doesn't look like it was turning, but rather that the driver lost control. Definitely a scary moment for all involved.

Yup, you're right on both counts.

I didn't catch the bike rack.

Kid had some quick reflexes.

Car driver was on a road to nowheres.

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:36 AM   #23
Rockmuncher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 777
I wonder if doing a stoppy right before impact may have saved his legs from more serious injury. Not trying to make light of it, but maybe it's a cleaner ejection path.
Rockmuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:51 AM   #24
Offcamber OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,711
When I posted this I had only looked at it a couple of times....

Yup the Stoppie is pretty clear and its obvious now he didn't even have a helmet on.....Lucky SOB.

Bet the kid getting off the bus needed an underwear change after that...
Old 07-26-2013, 07:30 AM   #25
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,815
The chances of this guy walking away from that accident without a bashed in skull are extremely low. That's one lucky sumabitch. Anyone saying that gear (especially a helmet) in a situation like that wouldn't make a difference is just...

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits
ride4321 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:40 AM   #26
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRideASlowBike View Post
And the dick measuring contest begins.
Tiny, itie bitty dick wave'in contest. Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
Rider fault...
thousands of cases every year where riders were "cut off" and considered not the riders fault. But when that car was making a u turn there was no bike in sight and looks like the rider had a couple hundred yards to stop, not the last 20, and he was in a bus zone which would make the limit slower. Bike is likely double the speed limit and not paying attention.

Fortunate he made out ok...
No shit! Who cares wut gear he's wear'in, why the fuck is he go'in 80 mph on a residential street past a bus drop'in off children? Oh yeah, he's a trust fund titty baby.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:20 AM   #27
Offcamber OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoBoy View Post
Tiny, itie bitty dick wave'in contest. Again!

No shit! Who cares wut gear he's wear'in, why the fuck is he go'in 80 mph on a residential street past a bus drop'in off children? Oh yeah, he's a trust fund titty baby.

It wasn't a school bus it was a transit bus....but agreed speed was defiantly a factor. That said I still can't figure out what the car driver was doing.....I doubt in that situation I could have predicted where that car was going to go....but I wouldn't have been going that fast either.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:14 AM   #28
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 2,926
Saw this on Yahoo or MSN last night, took a couple of views before I could understand what happened-if I even do:

No idea what the car was doing; U-turn, 3-point turn, mistook gas pedal for the brake?!

I cannot discern the time frame but it appears to me that the driver was well into the road before the rider appears in frame which leads me to believe that m/c was traveling fairly quickly. Whether that was below,at or above the posted limit I do not know and, really, it does not matter-clearly it was too fast for conditions.

Truly, this guy got lucky this time. Regardless of his attire that sort of luck probably won't hold; time for him to consider skills, knowledge and judgement,IMO.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:59 AM   #29
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,213
would it still be the car driver's fault if the speed limit on the road is 30 and bike is traveling at 80+mph?
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:32 PM   #30
DR Donk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4d View Post
would it still be the car driver's fault if the speed limit on the road is 30 and bike is traveling at 80+mph?
That's a good question and one I've been wondering about also. Any LEO's want to educate us?
DR Donk is offline   Reply With Quote