User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2013, 11:42 AM   #1
krussell OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
Rivers, Mountains, and Trees, a PNW Day Trip

Woke up Thursday to fantastic weather, a bit of slack at work, and a strong urge to ride. Took a vacation day and spent it in the Williamette and Mt. Hood National Forests.

The route: https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php...451f2a5c05b2ad

All of the pictures: http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/30744034_W49hVd

Started out of Portland, OR about 9AM, slabbing my way south to Mehama and then along the North Fork of the Santiam river on in to the Opal Creek Scenic Recreation Area. There was only one water crossing on this route, it was massive, but aided by the Canby Ferry.

There's wheat cut everywhere, drying out in our July sun.

Cedar Creek...

FS2207 climbs along Cedar creek and presents some great views along the way.

Where FS2207 meets 2223 I went right to get some more some views around Sardine Mountain. Here's Detroit Lake...

Three Sisters in the background.

Looking west up the SR22 corridor along the Santiam River.

Glad I'm coming through on motorcycle and not a log truck. There's not a lot of road left there.

Turned around and ran down into Detroit on FS2223 along French Creek. Refilled my water bottles and bought some really expensive gas. Stopped at the Ranger station to pick up a motor vehicle use map and had a really nice encounter with a Sheriff in the parking lot who was asking a ton of questions. Turns out he's a rider, and wanted to know where I was going for his future reference. From there it was east on 22 for a bit, then up FS2231/Boulder Creek Road. Not really exciting but first time through so at least it was different. It comes out on FS46 and I went west along the North Fork of the Breitenbush River for a bit, turning on to FS4220. This is great stretch of twisty pavement. It's signed at 35 and 45 and heavily patrolled. They've lost a few riders through here, one just two weeks ago, it's very important to stay on your toes and keep your speed in check.

Once on to FS4220 it quickly becomes a rock festival. Lots of China rocks. A bit tedious at times.

But a few nice creeks...

And a trip through a section damaged by fire...

Continuing along FS4220, briefly into the Warm Springs Indian Reservation past Brietenbush lake, your rewarded by a journey through the Ollalie Lake Scenic Area.

A smaller lake for warm up...

Then on to Monon, Horsehoe, and Ollalie lakes...

Ollalie Butte...

Mount Jefferson...

FS4220 is also referred to as Oregon Skyline Road, and after some gravel it becomes just dirt...

I really like this stretch...

Coming out at FS42, it's pavement east past Timothy Lake, then a bit of US26, then past Trillium Lake and on to Still Creek Road. Thanks to ADV'r Apple Jam for the tip on this one, it's a great route along Still Creek, which is far from still everywhere I've seen it.

Hit Subway near Zig Zag, my peanut butter sandwich lunch was long forgotten. Then slabbed it back to Portland arriving home just before sunset. About 280 miles, 5.5 gals of gas, and 6 quarts of water. A great day all around.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:59 AM   #2
Almost There
Up, up, and away

Oddometer: 291
Great pics. I'm doing the almost identical route this weekend but backwards.
Almost There is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:00 PM   #3
jjdun7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
Nice report and photos. That's a fun route. I did it last year only in reverse. I need to learn the spotwalla thing. It's a fun way to learn new routes.

"Get out and explore"
jjdun7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:22 PM   #4
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
Nice ride. Thanks for the info - someday it'll be me.
psmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:24 AM   #5
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,024
Someday???....Get out and RIDE!!

Nice big loop, krussell!! So, for more for next time.....a few miles up Boulder Creek Rd is a series of Green Dot roads that makes some extra fun stuff out of that road over to Brietenbush. And on the North side of Olallie Lakes is some neat old dirt and rocky stuff that takes a "shortcut" down to FS42. No longer FS 4220 here, but portions are still labled "Skyline Rd" by GPS.

I saw that you made it out to Kinzel Lake, too!
Getting around!!

The "bug" doesn't stop when you've been on all these roads, yaknow..,..it only gets worse....
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote