Old 07-26-2013, 05:25 PM   #1
Ryan Carman OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Question Help my buddy choose a bike

Options are:

KTM 990 adventure 2011 6000 Kms $12995 +13% tax

Triumph tiger 800XC 2013 0kms 12699 +13% tax freight pdi etc

Ducati multistrada S 2010 24000kms asking 16000 +13% tax but they're willing to negotiate a fair bit it would seem

He has a Ducati 996 sps that he's going to trade against if it doesn't sell privately, the dealer that has the ktm has offered the best money so that is a factor

He wants to be able to travel, and do some offroad

Thoughts?

Full disclosure: I ride a klr because I'm cheap, let us know what you ride
Ryan Carman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:35 PM   #2
Ryan Carman OP
Adventurer

Btw I wasn't sure where to put this so, if it needs to be moved, that's cool
Old 07-26-2013, 07:16 PM   #3
concours
Banned

Oddometer: 5,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Carman View Post
Options are:

KTM 990 adventure 2011 6000 Kms $12995 +13% tax

Triumph tiger 800XC 2013 0kms 12699 +13% tax freight pdi etc

Ducati multistrada S 2010 24000kms asking 16000 +13% tax but they're willing to negotiate a fair bit it would seem

He has a Ducati 996 sps that he's going to trade against if it doesn't sell privately, the dealer that has the ktm has offered the best money so that is a factor

He wants to be able to travel, and do some offroad

Thoughts?

Full disclosure: I ride a klr because I'm cheap, let us know what you ride
Does your buddy have 30 years experience? Or 30 miles? Abilities? It matters...
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:23 PM   #4
Ryan Carman OP
Adventurer

He's experienced, he's been daily driving the 125hp 160mph 996sps for two seasons now, and the a 748 for a couple seasons before that

Spent a few weeks on a multistrada in Italy

So he can handle the any of these bikes in question
Old 07-26-2013, 11:03 PM   #5
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,773
The evidence would seem to imply he's a Ducati afficionado, so the Multistrada is an obvious choice. Somehow, however, I imagine he wouldn't be asking if he were entirely happy maintaining that brand allegiance.

They are all good bikes. Personally, I'd lean toward the Ducati for myself (because I want one) or the Triumph for someone else (because I think it is the most sensible compromise of performance, reliability, cost, etc.)

My suggestion is that you flip a coin... Heads - you recommend the KTM, tails - the Triumph. If your buddy hesitates for even a split second, indicating he disagrees with your suggestion then just tell him "F**k it! Get the Ducati. You know it's what you want."

You could always mess with him by insisting he should get a BMW
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:56 AM   #6
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 2,934
Yamaha S10

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:17 AM   #7
Ryan Carman OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
The evidence would seem to imply he's a Ducati afficionado, so the Multistrada is an obvious choice. Somehow, however, I imagine he wouldn't be asking if he were entirely happy maintaining that brand allegiance.

They are all good bikes. Personally, I'd lean toward the Ducati for myself (because I want one) or the Triumph for someone else (because I think it is the most sensible compromise of performance, reliability, cost, etc.)

My suggestion is that you flip a coin... Heads - you recommend the KTM, tails - the Triumph. If your buddy hesitates for even a split second, indicating he disagrees with your suggestion then just tell him "F**k it! Get the Ducati. You know it's what you want."

You could always mess with him by insisting he should get a BMW
I'm pretty sure he's leaning towards the ktm, financially it's the best deal, the dealer that has it sells both Ducati and ktm, so he'll get better value from the sps

I'm a little partial to the tiger, but I think that may be partly because I really like the styling and ergonomics, (save for the bars being too low, however a set of rox risers fixes that on the cheap.

And unfortunately for BMW I'm of the opinion that the f800gsa has no soul, it's a fantastic machine on paper and I'm sure the build quality is fantastic. As are its capabilities. But it doesn't do a THING for me, and my buddy agrees.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:17 AM   #8
Ryan Carman OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
Yamaha S10
Not an option, the list above are actual bikes sitting in showrooms.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:48 AM   #9
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,490
I would go with the Triumph. The KTM has better suspension and the Ducati has some nice features but you just can't beat a Tiger 800XC. The Triple in that bike is intoxicating.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:58 AM   #10
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,431
Quote:
Not an option, the list above are actual bikes sitting in showrooms.
I'm surprised it took till #6 post and 12 hrs for someone to recommend the bike they want and not one that the OP's buddy wants.

Now let's see how long till someone recommends a KLR.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:06 AM   #11
Jays-f800gs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
I'm pretty sure he's leaning towards the ktm, financially it's the best deal, the dealer that has it sells both Ducati and ktm, so he'll get better value from the sps

I'm a little partial to the tiger, but I think that may be partly because I really like the styling and ergonomics, (save for the bars being too low, however a set of rox risers fixes that on the cheap.

And unfortunately for BMW I'm of the opinion that the f800gsa has no soul, it's a fantastic machine on paper and I'm sure the build quality is fantastic. As are its capabilities. But it doesn't do a THING for me, and my buddy agrees.
Have you ridden one? More offroad, ktm, f800gs, triumph, ducati, more road then reverse the order. My .02
Jays-f800gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:09 AM   #12
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by sieg View Post
I'm surprised it took till #6 post and 12 hrs for someone to recommend the bike they want and not one that the OP's buddy wants.

Now let's see how long till someone recommends a KLR.
You can always be sure that when someone states they want suggestions for a low, light bike under $2000, several people will recommend a brand new GS ADV or something with 48" seat height, etc. ...and you're right, there's often at least one recommendation each for a KLR, FJR and (bizarrely) 1200 Sportster as well. That's ADVRider!
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:17 AM   #13
Ryan Carman OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays-f800gs View Post
Have you ridden one? More offroad, ktm, f800gs, triumph, ducati, more road then reverse the order. My .02
Yeah I have, and, so has he.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:18 AM   #14
Ryan Carman OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
You can always be sure that when someone states they want suggestions for a low, light bike under $2000, several people will recommend a brand new GS ADV or something with 48" seat height, etc. ...and you're right, there's often at least one recommendation each for a KLR, FJR and (bizarrely) 1200 Sportster as well. That's ADVRider!
People are generally idiots.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:19 PM   #15
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,592
He wants to "ride some offroad."

What does this mean? Is he riding two up down some 2 mile long graded, gravel road to get to some place that his travels might take him or is he wanting to really learn how to ride off road in all types of conditions?

Has he ever ridden off road? If so how much and how much of what he's done matches up well with how much he plans to do in the future on this new bike?

Does he/you realize if he's going to learn to ride "off road" he's going to fall and scratch the shit out of an investment that costs more than 13 grand in the process of learning this new skill? If you ain't crashin' you aint learnin' on dirt.

I'm not trying to be a jerk but there are a lot more questions to be answered here before deciding on a bike.

If he really wants to "ride some offroad" and his only experience is with a couple of sport bikes then grabbing a giant "Adventure Touring" bike and heading for the trail is a monumentally bad idea. Street experience doesn't mean shit "off road".

If his only experience is with a couple street bikes then he should grab a smaller, cheaper bike that he can resell quickly and learn the basics of off road riding on that, but it's up to him (and apparently you.)

2013 V-Strom

Thanantos screwed with this post 07-28-2013 at 04:25 PM
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote