Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2013, 05:37 PM   #16
Wdwrkr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,824
The KTM is the best off road, but no joy on long road trips.. It has plenty of power, and handles great, but being set up to be more off road capable then most it lacks comfort. It's wind protection

The MS is the opposite end of the spectrum. Fantastic street bike, faster then many sport bikes, handles like a dream, but all that power comes at a price off road. Can it do it sure, but there is a reason you don't see many on the trail, or for that matter with dual sport tires. More of a sport tourer then adventure bike IMHO

I'd go with the triumph. Of the three it's perfect mix. Capable on or off, fairly comfortable.. Very good all around bike.

I ride a GSA which I love, so I have no horse in this race, but I have friends with each of the bikes you've listed. I've traveled and swapped bikes with each.. To be honest all three of them say mines the best bike. Your friend can't make a mistake, they are all good bikes, but since the big pig isn't in the running I'd go triumph
Old 07-29-2013, 04:59 PM   #17
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,416
If he'll be doing mostly paved roads and a few easy dirt roads, then I would pick the Ducati Multistrada 1200. I probably would have gotten one of those instead of my KTM if it didn't cost nearly twice as much at the time.

However, I've recently put some Heidenau K60's on the KTM and intend to search for more dirt now that I have proper dirt tires on it, which just wouldn't work with the Ducati.

With more street oriented tires, like Continental Trail Attacks, the KTM is just fine for 500 mile days and everything from tight, twisty roads to freeways.

If I had the Ducati I would feel that I needed to clean it all the time. I'm not sure if I've ever actually washed the KTM in three years of ownership. And I don't care if it gets scratched either.

The Ducati engine both feels and sounds better to me than the KTM engine.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:29 PM   #18
Ryan Carman OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
He wants to "ride some offroad."

What does this mean? Is he riding two up down some 2 mile long graded, gravel road to get to some place that his travels might take him or is he wanting to really learn how to ride off road in all types of conditions?

Has he ever ridden off road? If so how much and how much of what he's done matches up well with how much he plans to do in the future on this new bike?

Does he/you realize if he's going to learn to ride "off road" he's going to fall and scratch the shit out of an investment that costs more than 13 grand in the process of learning this new skill? If you ain't crashin' you aint learnin' on dirt.

I'm not trying to be a jerk but there are a lot more questions to be answered here before deciding on a bike.

If he really wants to "ride some offroad" and his only experience is with a couple of sport bikes then grabbing a giant "Adventure Touring" bike and heading for the trail is a monumentally bad idea. Street experience doesn't mean shit "off road".

If his only experience is with a couple street bikes then he should grab a smaller, cheaper bike that he can resell quickly and learn the basics of off road riding on that, but it's up to him (and apparently you.)

Well, I appeciate your position/advice, and yeah there will be some two up down 2 miles of gravel,

But there will be double track, fire road, power line riding as well.

I learned to ride off road on a klr, which is the same weight as the ktm, only half as powerful ;-) it wasn't so bad.

Problem with starting on something like a klx250 is that it doesn't do highway all that well and he needs something that will do the highway, and some two up.
Ryan Carman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:31 PM   #19
Ryan Carman OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrnelson View Post
If he'll be doing mostly paved roads and a few easy dirt roads, then I would pick the Ducati Multistrada 1200. I probably would have gotten one of those instead of my KTM if it didn't cost nearly twice as much at the time.

However, I've recently put some Heidenau K60's on the KTM and intend to search for more dirt now that I have proper dirt tires on it, which just wouldn't work with the Ducati.

With more street oriented tires, like Continental Trail Attacks, the KTM is just fine for 500 mile days and everything from tight, twisty roads to freeways.

If I had the Ducati I would feel that I needed to clean it all the time. I'm not sure if I've ever actually washed the KTM in three years of ownership. And I don't care if it gets scratched either.

The Ducati engine both feels and sounds better to me than the KTM engine.
That sounds reasonable...

I was wondering how long this would take to become a tire debate
Old 07-29-2013, 05:38 PM   #20
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Carman View Post
That sounds reasonable...

I was wondering how long this would take to become a tire debate
The only reason why I mentioned tires is because it has transformed the KTM into a better dirt machine. The wider 17 inch front wheel puts some limitations on the Ducati for what you can do in the dirt compared to the narrower 21" KTM front wheel.

Everything else should be points to consider, since I have the KTM, but spent many years as a Ducati guy.

Most people already know what they want anyway, and are just looking for something to help them justify buying that one.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:44 PM   #21
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,511
Quote:
Well, I appeciate your position/advice, and yeah there will be some two up down 2 miles of gravel,

I learned to ride off road on a klr, which is the same weight as the ktm, only half as powerful ;-) it wasn't so bad.

Problem with starting on something like a klx250 is that it doesn't do highway all that well and he needs something that will do the highway, and some two up.
Because of this, I would recommend the Triumph. I think it would be the easiest to use learning off road techniques, as it is the lightest if I remember correctly. They are also the lowest maintenance of the three choices from what I've heard, and it doesn't hurt that the one he is looking at has zero miles.

I came very close to buying one during my last purchase, but my 2009 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750 twin was half the price, so I couldn't pass it up. The Triumph has a similar power to weight ratio as the Dorsoduro, which I think travels highways just fine. I am in the process of making my Aprilia more dirt worthy, and the final step will be a set of TKC80 tires, now that they make a 180 wide and 17" fronts. For mostly street use, I like my current Pirelli Scorpion Trail dual sport tires.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:45 PM   #22
Ryan Carman OP
Adventurer

Quote:
The only reason why I mentioned tires is because it has transformed the KTM into a better dirt machine. The wider 17 inch front wheel puts some limitations on the Ducati for what you can do in the dirt compared to the narrower 21" KTM front wheel.

Everything else should be points to consider, since I have the KTM, but spent many years as a Ducati guy.

Most people already know what they want anyway, and are just looking for something to help them justify buying that one.
The tire thing is actually a a sticking point as well, the selection of "knobby" tires available for the MS is pretty limited, whereas the selection for the ktm is nearly endless

He's pretty torn between the options but I'm pretty sure if the deal on the 990 works out then that's gonna be it
Old 07-29-2013, 05:50 PM   #23
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
Because of this, I would recommend the Triumph. I think it would be the easiest to use learning off road techniques, as it is the lightest if I remember correctly.
Wikipedia says:
  • Triumph 800 XC - 460 pounds
  • KTM 990 Adventure - 460 pounds
  • Ducati Multistrada 1200 - 420 pounds
Don't buy the Triumph for the weight. The KTM usually wins the comparison tests in the dirt department.

If you want something that makes it easier to learn off road, get a Suzuki DR-Z400, or maybe a Honda XR650L. Significantly less weight.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:25 PM   #24
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
Yamaha S10
As much as it pains me, I have to agree!

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:27 PM   #25
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,193
Quote:
People are generally idiots.
So are some OP's when they insult those he is seeking council from!

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:15 AM   #26
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
Quote:

You won't like ANY of those bikes for real off road riding like you mention here. The KTM is the most capable at this but would still not be much fun. Good luck finding that "transformer bike". About 1 trip into the boonies and you will learn to stay on solid gravel roads with them all.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:29 AM   #27
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Eek

Quote:

You didn't tell us you were a KLR expert. Why are you here asking questions.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:03 AM   #28
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,511
Quote:
Wikipedia says:
  • Triumph 800 XC - 460 pounds
  • KTM 990 Adventure - 460 pounds
  • Ducati Multistrada 1200 - 420 pounds
Don't buy the Triumph for the weight. The KTM usually wins the comparison tests in the dirt department.

If you want something that makes it easier to learn off road, get a Suzuki DR-Z400, or maybe a Honda XR650L. Significantly less weight.
That is surprising. Just sitting on them (since I haven't ridden them), the Triumph feels the lightest. Maybe it is just psychological, since you feel like you are sitting in the Duc and KTM, while you sit on the Triumph.

I agree the Suzuki or Honda would be better off road, but those weren't listed as options.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:41 AM   #29
Ryan Carman OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
So are some OP's when they insult those he is seeking council from!

Jim
Where did I ask for suggestions not included in the list?
Old 07-30-2013, 11:43 AM   #30
Ryan Carman OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post
You won't like ANY of those bikes for real off road riding like you mention here. The KTM is the most capable at this but would still not be much fun. Good luck finding that "transformer bike". About 1 trip into the boonies and you will learn to stay on solid gravel roads with them all.
I have to agree with you there, there really is no such thing as the transformer bike, or else we would all be driving the same bike.