User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2013, 07:14 AM   #1
Lycan1 OP
Grizzly herder

Oddometer: 761
Continental Divide and Idaho Ride 2013

Once again I went looking for adventure, and it was going to be different than the previous year in many ways. When you have an epic adventure it can be hard to follow up year after year without upping the ante both in cost and length. I considered this years adventure as a toned down, budget conscience project. I wanted to plan less and be more open for “adventure”, leaving more to chance. That being said, I did plot out the track as detailed as possible using local rider’s advice as well as tracks from Big Dog and Cannonshot of ADV Rider. When it came to food I was content to mix Restaurant and cook-at camp meals. This was not so much to save pack weight, or money, but I actually like to cook at a campsite. The idea of camping for all 14 nights was again, a personal preference, both for its flexibility and atmosphere. Like all things related to an adventure, they don’t always go as you would like. This year, due to circumstances beyond the control of the participants, there was a late in the game pull-out. So the smaller than last year group became even smaller, down to only two. I was determined to go, and would have gone alone had it come to that, but was glad of the company. The original routing north of the border had to be dumbed down for the same reasons that caused the group to shrink, weather related damage. Most of the original route had become impassable due to countless wash-outs along its length so highway haulin’ became Day 1.

After a breakfast send-off by two other riders, from my favorite southeast Calgary morning restaurant, Cora’s, we set out. The goal today was to get to the Eureka Montana Area. It was a wet and cool start to the ride, which was par for the course considering resent events around Calgary. Rain gear was packed away a few hours south of town and the weather was beautiful after that. The border crossing was quick and easy, although I did wonder for a few minutes after Ian disappeared behind me. I had found a interesting Eureka restaurant when doing my initial research and so we headed in town to find the Cafe Jax . It is a nice place if you are passing through Eureka MT. After missing the liquor store by 5 minutes, we headed down tobacco road and toward Polebridge. The road was amazing once we crossed the highway south of town and the ride in the late afternoon light was inspiring. We pushed on to Polebridge and the iconic Mercantile store, ending up at the North Fork Hostel, just blocks away, for the night. Oliver, the owner, was an interesting guy and has an amazing history.

Pictures from Day 1

Lycan1 screwed with this post 07-27-2013 at 07:20 AM
Lycan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:45 AM   #2
Ryder Patrol
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Subscribed. Looking forward to seeing where you went Lee. I have a trip to Idaho planned for mid August. It has become my favourite place to ride.
Ryder Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:06 AM   #3
Lycan1 OP
Grizzly herder

Day 2

I am and have always been an early riser, and anyone who knows me, or has travelled with me, knows this. Thankfully Ian is similar in this respect and we always got an early start to the trails. Running early has the advantage of good light for photos and cool air, on what was an otherwise very hot trip. Temperatures in the high 80’s and mid 90’s was the norm, and neither I, nor my ride like it too hot. It can be a challenge finding food that early in the morning, but we had the Polebridge Bakery this morning. They had great coffee and sublime fresh baking, albeit a bit pricey.

Day 2 would end up being a too-long day considering the terrain, and I have learned a lot on this trip on how to tailor the ride based on what the track consists of. I also learned a lesson about Google maps and Satellite images and their reliability, or lack there of.

506 km.

After a wonderful breakfast of a Huckleberry Bear-Claw (still hot) and rich dark roast coffee, we set off toward Whitefish Montana. We zig zagged south east along Big Dog’s track with a few modifications of my own thrown in. The heat of the day became intense but the scenery along this day’s track was so beautiful and varied, that the heat could be overlooked for awhile. Today’s ride stared with a beautiful run into the mountains and past a great camp site at Upper Whitefish lake. The section south of Whitefish was easy and as the day progressed we found the riding became more challenging including a section of freshly dug up track near Empire Mill. It had been slow going and the day was fast slipping into dusk. Once we reached Highway 12 we decided to head into Helena a grab a hotel rather than push any further. The next day, ironically, we discovered a nice campsite less than 5 miles further along the track.

Pictures from Day 2:

Lycan1 screwed with this post 07-27-2013 at 10:31 AM
Old 07-27-2013, 08:09 AM   #4
Lycan1 OP
Grizzly herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryder Patrol View Post
Subscribed. Looking forward to seeing where you went Lee. I have a trip to Idaho planned for mid August. It has become my favourite place to ride.
Thanks, I can see why Idaho would be a favorite, it really is amazing. Both Ian and myself commented on how West-Coast some areas looked. I could have done with a little less heat though.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:14 AM   #5
IanInCalgary
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
The original route to the border included some trails I'd not been on before so I was a bit disappointed we slabbed it most of the way to the border.

I've ridden with Lee enough that he knows I don't go over 100 kph as I don't have a windscreen to hide behind. Even so, it was a fast ride to Eureka.

Lee went through customs first; I was asked 2 or 3 questions and released right away but I didn't see Lee. Oh well, I parked the bike in the shade and had a brief bio break. I figured if Lee wanted to bake in the sun he picked a good day for it. When we stopped for dinner the temperature on the screen across the road said x4 F (part of the screen was hidden from view). We never did see what the x was but it was probably 9. 94F is OK when moving but not when stopped for long.

Ian
IanInCalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:35 AM   #6
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,798
Hey Lycan1 and Ian,
I'm sure this will be a nice ride---so I'm in !!!!

And I can't thank you enough for the Kettle Valley railroad info you gave me 2 years ago that made me and Dingweeds trip to Alaska--------------very special !!!!

BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:49 AM   #7
IanInCalgary
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Day 2 - A Slightly Different Perspective

We broke a few adventure riding rules on this day.

We stopped for dinner and the service was a bit slow. I checked my watch when we received our dinners and it was 6:00. We should have called it a day and had a nice relaxing evening in a local campground. Instead, we relied on "questionable local intel" a term we became very familiar with on this trip. A KTM 990 rider was talking to Lee and said, "Oh yeah, it's gravel to xxx, but it's fast gravel."

Well, it was gravel (and some dirt), and it was fast for a short stretch. We ended up riding for a few hours and got to the point where we considered cowboy camping because the deer were about to become a problem. But we pressed on and sipped (rather than drank in) some of the scenery and sights. The sun was just setting when we got a hotel in Helena.

It was a 500+ km day which was too much. Lesson learned.

Ian
IanInCalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:58 AM   #8
Lycan1 OP
Grizzly herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
Hey Lycan1 and Ian,
I'm sure this will be a nice ride---so I'm in !!!!

And I can't thank you enough for the Kettle Valley railroad info you gave me 2 years ago that made me and Dingweeds trip to Alaska--------------very special !!!!

BigDog
Right back at you!

Your tracks for the divide section made my planning so much easier. I diverged from your track a few times as you will see from the postings but very few times. We stayed at Warm River (inappropriately named I might add) before heading across Grassy Lake road (very nice). That was the end of our Divide ride before turning north.

Your reports and their detail helped me, and I thank you.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:06 AM   #9
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,495
Nice pics.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:19 AM   #10
Lycan1 OP
Grizzly herder

Video

Teaser Video. The Audio at the beginning is quiet, so turn it up if you want to hear it. Be sure to turn it down after or my Identification bit at the end will blow you away ;)

Old 07-27-2013, 10:29 AM   #11
Lycan1 OP
Grizzly herder

Day 3

Day 3 started with a hotel breakfast and repack of the tents that were much dryer after a night of hanging over the furniture. We ran back to the point on highway 12 where the track crossed and carried on south, after a chain lubing session. The route ran into a nice dark, cool canyon as it headed south, with a few creatures running across, just to see if we were paying attention. I saw a wolf clear the trail further along in a single flying leap. It was an impressive animal. The track took us over a nice variety of road surface from fast gravel to rutted dirt and rock before reaching Basin, MT. As we rolled up in front of the post office a quad, sporting a bearded, weathered man, and a dog. The dog dismounted first and the man warned, “Watch it he’ll take off your leg”. He stood up and as if to make this point, swung his wooden left leg over the quad and stepped down. We chatted for a while and confirmed that the route out of town was opposite to what Google maps had told me, what a shock.

431 km for the day

The next section was a great mix of nearly quad track and good gravel into Butte, along which I saw my first CDT sign. Coming down toward the I-90 there were a few corners that almost got both of us, for me at least, due to rubber-necking the scenery. After a refuel and visit to a bike shop we carried on to Bannack Ghost town via Wise River and Polaris. I had seen this on a large number of reports but HAD to see for myself. I think it is the history and the remoteness (in the day) that make it so fascinating. You could almost hear the horses and the clink of spurs along the boardwalks. I had an idea about that, but my mind works in an unusual manner, or maybe it was the heat. After a tour of the town, self guided and ill-informed (I speak for myself here).

We Carried on south on really fast gravel (wink, wink). Café Canvas showed from Big Dogs report near the junction of 324, which we would cross again heading into Idaho days later, you are a brave soul Big Dog, stopping there, with its curb appeal. South on Medicine Lodge road to Lima proved slow going in places, and the heat was oppressive. We went through a nice canyon section (and it clouded over briefly) as we got close to I-15 and Lima.

I had heard good things about the little motel across from Ralph’s Exxon and the only Café in town. Camping was cheap and everything you need is close, but being a city boy used to some level of luxury, that’s the best I can say. We did meet another group of ADV’ers doing the CDT (bicycle) trail. John, John, and Gary, KLR 650, GS 800, F 650 GS Dakar, and a chase vehicle (Van and trailer) with one of the John’s wives as driver. They were doing it the hard way from their accounts and they illustrated the complexities of a group dynamic very well (as it would turn out). I have always found that groups work best with at least 4 and up to 6 where similarities in machines, abilities, and expectations mesh fairly closely. Differences tend to be resolved by committee with these number, rather than smaller groups, by compromise (on one or the other to varying degree). They had had a tough day on an inappropriate trail for the equipment involved, despite all being experienced and accomplished enduro riders. They were not young guys and the day had taken a toll, although the enthusiasm was still very evident. We talked and exchanged information, riding the same direction the following day. If you stop in Lima, and camp, take ear plugs, as it sits next the Interstate and close to a main rail line with level (uncontrolled) crossings. This to, would become a recurrence along the voyage.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:30 AM   #12
Lycan1 OP
Grizzly herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Nice pics.
Thanks Bob!
Old 07-27-2013, 11:16 AM   #13
Lycan1 OP
Grizzly herder

Day 4

Day 4: After the morning Greasy Spoon experience (lube innerds, lube chain), remember, only game in town, or “best food in town” they say, Oh Baby…. On the bright side the young waitress, with the sniffles, from dinner the evening before, was not working the morning shift. Gary joined us for breakfast and was as bright and enthusiastic as the night before. He was frustrated that his Zumo (220 ?) would not except tracks, wirelessly from our “Montanas”, but wanted to swap email address before hitting the trail.

280 km for the day. (for me)

It was cloudy, but would not rain for a couple of hours and not for long. Today’s track was very easy but still quite scenic. We hit a snag when there was a locked gate on one section. The go around was easy, and we decided to back-tract from the other end to see how close to the closure we could get. We met up with the group of 3 again several times on this last section, the Johns together, and Gary on his own, running ahead. We then carried on after another re-route and another closed section south of Henry’s Lake down Fish Creek road. The south end (Robinson Creek road) turned out to be paved, but was very abandoned looking with grass growing through the pavement and somewhat overgrown ditches. It could have passed for a Hollywood apocalypse movie set. We hit Ashton, Flagg Ranch road and went back into Ashton for food before running up to Warm River Campground. A note concerning “Warm” River, 50 degrees F. does not warm, make. It was a nice camp spot, missing only showers, having to use the “refreshing” river as a substitute, which would also happen numerous times on the trip. Ian talked to the John that was leading the other group, in Ashton. It turns out, Gary had had a difference of opinion and had quit the trip (since we had seen them a couple of hours before), showing how fragile group relations can be, in trying or long trips. Ian had some mechanical (chain) issues and once settled in at camp, ran back into Ashton to deal with them. Dinner was a cook-at-camp-site affair that night.

Pictures for the day:

Old 07-27-2013, 11:33 AM   #14
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,798
Bannack flooded

I guess you haven't heard---------you guys were lucky to see Bannack--since you went thru a flood damn near took the town.
I've heard it took almost all the boardwalks---and one building for sure.
It is now closed to the public. What a shame.

KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:16 PM   #15
Lycan1 OP
Grizzly herder

Day 5

287 Km. for the day (not including 20 more to run back and forth into Big Sky for Dinner).

Day 5: We rode into Ashton yet again for breakfast and fuel. The name of the restaurant escapes me (only one open early), but it was a big barn red place just west of the rail line. One little old lady watched us pull in and “gear-off” before going inside. She met us at the door and demonstrated her flair for exaggeration; “I watched you guys for 10 minutes, getting off your bikes, I have never seen anyone take so long”. Then after making sure we were not Liberals, allowed us passage to the taxidermists heaven that was our morning respite. The coffee was in the usual style of “shave your tongue after drinking” that so much of the mid western US enjoys… yech! The food was OK, and didn't make either of us sick, so that was a bonus. Heading back east along Ashton/ Flagg Ranch road to Grassy Lake road across the southern most edge of Yellowstone was beautiful. I use “beautiful” a lot in describing the scenery along the route, and it truly was, (I could go drag the Thesaurus out if you like), but take my word for it, you will feel the same over used sentiment if you follow this track. Grassy lake “road” would not be a nice place to drag the camper with the mini van, or your Electra-Glide, but it was a nice road to travel with dual sports. Like so many of the paths taken, it would be much less fun if it was raining, due to the make up of many sections of the track. After that inspiring ride, Yellowstone traffic and crowds was a drag. I really only wanted to see the West side of the park due to my having to rush past/ through Yellowstone last year. I wanted to see Old faithful and whatever I could near by. The heat was vicious by the time we passed the south gate and set a fast pace as a result. We go to the sea of humanity around the Geyser and took a few touristy shots for posterity. We took the short walk in all our gear around Old Faithful to see (to me) the more interesting, and colourful, hot pools. We had a short shuffle through the gift shop, and cafeteria, and big lodge (nice) before we rode into the crushing heat of the day again. Despite the heat we stopped for a few nice pictures before hitting the town of West Yellowstone to fuel and cool for a short while. I walked into the Exxon, GPS in hand to ask for intel on camp spots north of town along 191. I approached an older employee to hear him say rather sarcastically, “Oh good, I always enjoy seeing someone walk in with their GPS in hand; I know I’m in for a story”. “No story” I replied,” I just would like to know where any decent campgrounds within an hour heading north on 191 are”. He was helpful and directed me to Red Cliff campground not far south of Big Sky. The drive along the way was quick and a treat for the eyes, despite ominous thunderheads building in our chosen direction. It was completely overcast by the time we arrived at the camp and set up under very large trees. We ran into Big Sky for dinner, having left my west facing tent fly open to cool things down. As we sat in the pub having dinner those ominous clouds became a serious storm and unleashed fury on the town. People outside were running for cover as the winds whipped the rain in torrents, and all I could think was, I hope that the tents weren't being drenched. After about an hour it was over and we returned to the camp to find very little rain had made it into our tents, thankfully! Due to the voracious nature of the local flying pests, we both hit the tents early just to be out of the bloodsuckers reach.

Pictures for the Day;

Lycan1 screwed with this post 07-27-2013 at 12:22 PM