User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2013, 10:07 AM   #1
JBGHEAT OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Narrowed down to 3--Opinions?

I just sold my Suzuki 650 V-Strom. I'm finding that as I get a little older and after many years of riding I'm just not enjoying longer rides like I used to. But with that said, I have to have something with a motor in the garage. I've decided to get a scooter for primarily town/errand rides so I can keep my gas-guzzler truck parked. I would like to occasionally stretch a town ride to some of the trailheads around here for hiking. That means a 10 to 15 mile paved highway ride at 55-60 mph. I live in Colorado at 6000 ft. and would climb 2000 to 3000 ft. to get to those trailheads. I'm sure any of the 3 scooters mentioned would be great for the errand rides but I'm not sure about the short highway trips. I'm looking at the following:

09'-Yamaha Zuma 125 w/ 800 miles for $2000.

12'-2012 Honda PCX 150 w/500 miles for $3000.

09'-Suzuki Burgman 400 w/1800 miles for $4000.

Would appreciate any feedback.
JBGHEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:30 AM   #2
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,711
I had a Zuma and loved it but the 55-60 mph stretch might be a little much.

The other 2 will be faster.

See my link below for my Zuma experiences and adventures.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:39 AM   #3
emmettken
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,903
My 08 Burgman 400 has power to spare on the highway and paved mountain roads. Lots of under seat storage.
emmettken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:09 PM   #4
Kattzoo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Sold my PCX 150 last month and bought a Majesty. The PCX is a great little bike for around town. It will go 50-55 mph all day long. After that s pushing it depending on the terrain and weather conditions. I'd vote for the Burgman on your list. It will give you the flexibility to do whatever.
Kattzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:14 PM   #5
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,142
Considering the starting altitude, highway speed requirement, and climb to 9000 feet the Burgman is the only one of those three that is going to handle the task.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:30 PM   #6
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,505
Both the Zuma and the PCX would need upbores to manage the highway on a regular basis (without holding up traffic). Get the Burgman, or a Majesty.
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:36 PM   #7
JerseyBiker
Scootarazzi

Oddometer: 1,970
I have no experience with the first 2.

You will not be disappointed with the B'man. Wonderful bike that is at home both on side/city roads and highways.
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:04 PM   #8
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,569
because you are coming from a MC and will absolutely miss the power and heft with a small scooter, i say no choice but the Burgman. especially given its desired 60mph cruising speed. it will do it with plenty of mph to spare while the others will be all pooped out, if they get there at all sometimes. and climbing hills on a 125 or 150? long grades? no.

i can't comment on price or value or even the scooter itself. but if it were me i'd go with the Burgman. and i don't even like big scooters. but sounds like you're replacing a motorcycle. the Burg, although having small wheels and a step though frame, will replace that motorcycle comfortably
Old 07-27-2013, 05:13 PM   #9
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
The B400 is a great bike which will run down the freeway without issue. Fuel injection offsets the effects of altitude. Lots of maintenance videos and tech support out there, as well as a website with lots of B400 riders who can provide a lot of info and are very helpful:

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/index.php

Don't personally know much about the other two, but JerryH has a Zuma, so I'm sure he'll chime in here eventually. If you want freeway capability, I think the B400 is the only way to go...
gumshoe4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:46 PM   #10
Bugtussle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
You might consider getting the Burgman or a Majasty and your favorite of the smaller scooters too. Big and small scoots are both fun in their element. Ive got three scoots now and Im still way under budget in the rides deptartment compared to my motorcycle days. By buying used a person could have a shop full of scooters for the price of a new Harley.

2013 Vespa GTS 300ie Super
Bugtussle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:15 PM   #11
JBGHEAT OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Thanks for the input folks. I'm leaning toward the Burgman due to those highway rides. I'm sure the 125 or 150 would be fine for my town riding but I agree with the consensus that they would not be enough for climbing and the highway.

I wish I could have kept the VSTROM and bought a smaller scooter but the one who must be obeyed (wife of 34 years) says there can only be one in the garage. Keeps mumbling something about too many toys=road bike, mountain bike, kayak, raft, camper, flyrods, etc.
JBGHEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:32 PM   #12
CaptnJim
Scootist

Oddometer: 923
I had a V-Strom that I sold after buying a pair of his & hers PCX 150s. We REALLY enjoy these scooters. While not in its element, I have run mine up to 65 mph. It is surprisingly peppy, and just so darn easy. And, FUN! I enjoyed my V-Strom, but it was getting hard for these ol' bones to toss a leg over that tall bike. I was about ready to give up riding, when my wife suggested scooters. I scoffed. Then, I started doing research. I figured she'd forget about 'em. She didn't. We looked at a few different small scooters, but the PCX was getting rave reviews. It felt comfortable. And, it looked less... scooterish. Yeah, I was wrong, she was right. I thought the V-Strom was about as small as I'd care to ride... wrong on that, too.

I've been married longer than you... I'm used to being wrong. I just hate being adamantly wrong. The PCX is plenty enough bike for me at this point (been riding for 45 years). The whole premise of a scooter seemed... well, you know. Damn, I was really, really wrong. I ride with a big ol' smile on my face and have learned to enjoy urban scooting. I can't wait to get home from this "fun summer job," and haul our scooters to some twisties.

I wish I would have done this sooner!

Best wishes,
Captain Jim
Old 07-27-2013, 07:41 PM   #13
andoulli
CAJUN

Oddometer: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBGHEAT View Post
I just sold my Suzuki 650 V-Strom. I'm finding that as I get a little older and after many years of riding I'm just not enjoying longer rides like I used to. But with that said, I have to have something with a motor in the garage. I've decided to get a scooter for primarily town/errand rides so I can keep my gas-guzzler truck parked. I would like to occasionally stretch a town ride to some of the trailheads around here for hiking. That means a 10 to 15 mile paved highway ride at 55-60 mph. I live in Colorado at 6000 ft. and would climb 2000 to 3000 ft. to get to those trailheads. I'm sure any of the 3 scooters mentioned would be great for the errand rides but I'm not sure about the short highway trips. I'm looking at the following:

09'-Yamaha Zuma 125 w/ 800 miles for $2000.

12'-2012 Honda PCX 150 w/500 miles for $3000.

09'-Suzuki Burgman 400 w/1800 miles for $4000.

Would appreciate any feedback.
I paid $4K for my Swing, 2007 with 4K miles.

It came with all you see plus throttle lock.
andoulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:09 PM   #14
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,826
Definitely the Burgman. I ride my Zuma 125 (and Vino 125) on non restricted highways with speed limits up to 65 all the time, put 24,000 miles on the Vino doing it. They will cross the country if you have the time. What they won't do is climb. The CVT transmissions do not have a low enough gear ratio to climb with such small engines. They bog down and lug the engines badly. There is no way to keep the engine rpms up while climbing. At only 25cc more, I can't imagine the PCX being much better. The Burgman should have no problems. It is also freeway legal and freeway capable. But it is also significantly bigger than the others, and much heavier.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:21 AM   #15
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,648
Of those three, only the Burgman could handle the speeds you want. If it was me, I'd be looking for something in the 200-300cc range.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote