Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2013, 05:34 AM   #16
topless
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
I put 3600 miles on a Zuma125 and now ride a Burgman400. For comfort, storage and speed, the Burgman is not just better, it's not really a comparison. The Zuma was fun and ok, but around here getting on the highway on the Zuma would have been really scarey, 55-60 is not fast enough to keep up with traffic. I use my B400 like a car I can stash my helmet, riding jacket and over pants under the seat. Got caught in a downpour 2 weeks ago and my arms got wet, ordered a Givi windshield to help with that.
BTW, I've put over 4k miles on the B400 in the last year, took me 2-1/2 years to do the 3600 on the Zuma. I will also add, my backside didn't like the Zuma seat after 12-15 miles either, I could ride all day on the B400.
topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:04 AM   #17
rider33
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 972
the least expensive bike is the one you buy and hold onto for a long time. Any of the three can likely do what you want but the Burgman will do it more gracefully and provide you with the reserves to do just about anything really. I've never cared much for the look of the things personally ('prefer the more classic look of the Vespa's) but if you are going from a bike to a scooter, I'd be looking in the 250cc plus range. The larger size and extra giddy-up open up possiblities down the road.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:42 PM   #18
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 836
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
Of those three, only the Burgman could handle the speeds you want. If it was me, I'd be looking for something in the 200-300cc range.
Agreed, we used to have a Burgman 400 we kept up in Breckenridge. It would run between here and Denver anytime without problem. I will say that I am not a fan of it on dirt. I rode it over Boreas Pass and it didn't do very well with the gravel though my annoyance with my husband on the Sports City which does handle dirt better was the primary reason for my dropping it. I hit the throttle a little too hard for the gravel and down it went with no time to recover.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:23 AM   #19
JBGHEAT OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Got another one in the mix:
2008 Kymco 250 Grand Vista 600 miles "asking $2000.

Don't know much about the Kymco brand but in reading different threads they appear to be solid. I'll have a chance to ride this one in the hills and should get an answer to my questions.

Thanks again for the input.
JBGHEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:32 AM   #20
CaptnJim
Scootist

Oddometer: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBGHEAT View Post

Don't know much about the Kymco brand but in reading different threads they appear to be solid. I'll have a chance to ride this one in the hills and should get an answer to my questions.

It's a good scoot. Five years old, so I'd consider replacing the tires even though they have little wear with only 600 miles. Change the fluids, and start riding.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:01 PM   #21
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,585
Quote:

Nice scooter but the seating position is pretty cramped. Won't work if you're tall. Kymco is a solid brand and good value for the money. If you are tall I'd look for a Kymco People 250 instead of the Grand Vista.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:41 PM   #22
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kattzoo View Post
Sold my PCX 150 last month and bought a Majesty. The PCX is a great little bike for around town. It will go 50-55 mph all day long. After that s pushing it depending on the terrain and weather conditions. I'd vote for the Burgman on your list. It will give you the flexibility to do whatever.
I'd second that. First, to handle a V-Strom you're probably of average height or more. That makes the PCX a tight fit...that's for persons of smaller stature.

Second, you're more used to the greater power. The Burgman 400 is probably a good compromise between the economy of a scooter and the power of a motorcycle. I had a 400 and it was powerful enough to get me from Michigan to the West Coast...and fast enough that I did one banzai run for about nine hours at 85 mph.

I don't recommend that last; it did cause problems later; but if you need that speed in short bursts, it's there.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:44 PM   #23
Full Power
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,426
A Hayabusa is what you need at this point.
That or, if budget allows, one BMW S1000R.
175 Horsepower should cure what ails ya.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:25 PM   #24
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,629
If you have the opportunity to buy a nice Burg 400 at a decent price, and it feels ok to you, I'd grab it. Even if you don't think so now, there will probably be times when you want to ride on the freeway or climb mountains at more than a snails pace, and you'll regret getting something smaller.

For a smaller run around town scooter, and for riding on the backroads (pretty much anything but freeways) I love my Zuma 125. I'm 6' 230 with a 34" inseam and fit fine, in fact I can't even flat foot it at a stop without sliding all the way to the front of the seat. I have highway pegs on it, but rarely use them. I found that sticking your feet out past the leg shield knocks about 5 mph off the top speed.

As for Hayabusas and S1000Rs, if you want a fast bike that you can actually ride without serious pain, you want a V-Max or a Rocket III.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:57 PM   #25
TheReaper!
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 638
Before you buy any thing do some test driving , while you're at it test drive a Big Ruckus .

TheReaper!
TheReaper! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:56 PM   #26
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReaper! View Post
Before you buy any thing do some test driving , while you're at it test drive a Big Ruckus .

TheReaper!
You ll rent him on of the 2000 your own I hope ?
Old 08-01-2013, 10:13 PM   #27
Domromer
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
Burgman.. None of the other scoots mentioned will handle the grades that you will frequently come across in Colorado. Plus the burg has the largest storage capacity and a healthy aftermarket and online community.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:05 AM   #28
climbamt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Cool2

Although I have no first hand experience with a Burgman, I think it is the only scooter you listed that will be able to handle the speeds you are looking to achieve. I have heard lots of good things about them, but I do not care for the looks of them. I bought a Vespa GT200 that will do 80 MPH for 3000 with 666 miles on it when dropped by my house. Keep looking, you may find something else in your price range that will meet both needs.
02 Kymco People 50
Baltimore, MD
climbamt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:57 AM   #29
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,884
Quote:

That sounds like a great deal on a bike that will satisfy your requirements quite nicely. If there is a dealer near you, get it.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:40 PM   #30
JBGHEAT OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Well my VSTROM sale fell through and in the meantime the Burgman and Kymco scooters have sold. I'm going to keep trying to sell the V but if it sold tomorrow I'd probably throw in the towel on highway riding and buy a smaller scoot that would allow me to park my truck and run errands around town.

With that said, a late model used Zuma 125 is at the top of the list!

Once again, I appreciate all the info I received.
JBGHEAT is offline   Reply With Quote