Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2013, 01:09 PM   #31
blugg1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
Bugtussle has a SYM HD200 and so do I. 65-75 is not a problem. SYM is a well-engineered and highly regarded product and the HD200 is very peppy. 70mpg.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:37 PM   #32
Hikingtigger
n00b

Oddometer: 2
2nd that on the burgman ... or majesty!

have had a majesty 400 for 7+ years and loved every minute of it. It could definitely handle your needs, but only the 400s (Burg and majesty) will do the climbs, though not with a whole lot of gusto but you'll get there and do the speed limit at least. And freeways will be a breeze with those engines.
Hikingtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:25 PM   #33
303whodat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
I'm outside Boulder, and my Burgman has been a joy in the mountains. Peak to Peak, Estes Park, daytrips down to Denver or up to Evergreen, it's been great to me. I graduated from a 150 Kymco, and it is no comparison. The full fairing up front helps a lot, especially with the unpredictable weather we have along the Front Range. I've put 9k miles on it in the past year.

Had it for sale on CL locally for $2100 and got zero bites. maybe the high miles (32k) scared folks, but you should be able to bargain with whoever you are buying from. Post Sturgis, the Denver motorcycle market seems to be flooded.

303whodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:12 AM   #34
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,036
The 400 is a motorcycle. There's nothing wrong with that, but that's what it is. Based on your requirements, it sounds like that may be what you need. If you want to try a scooter, but a used 125 or a 150. See if you like it. You don't need tobuy a Yamaha or a Honda to get a reliable machine. Kymco, Sym, and Genuine all make good scooters.

IMO the socoter is not a repalcement for the motorcycle. It's a replacement for the car. It's for all those little trips you used to take in the car. With that mindset it's actually pretty easy to make your money back on a scooter in gas savings alone. My Kymco Agility 125 (bought used 18 months ago) has already paid for itself.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:52 AM   #35
blugg1
Gnarly Adventurer

You have a good point about the 400, Jim. Some years ago I had a Burgman 650. It was as large as a motorcycle and ill-suited for all those little trips that you mention. It is heavy and cumbersome, especially so in this hilly town in which I live with its narrow, twisty streets.

I have a SYM, one of the brands you mention, and it is rapidly paying for itself in gas savings. It's an HD200 so it's got plenty of power in case I want to run to a nearby town for a bit of shopping.

But I wouldn't tour on it, which I occasionally did on the Burgman.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:26 PM   #36
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blugg1 View Post
You have a good point about the 400, Jim. Some years ago I had a Burgman 650. It was as large as a motorcycle and ill-suited for all those little trips that you mention. It is heavy and cumbersome, especially so in this hilly town in which I live with its narrow, twisty streets.

I have a SYM, one of the brands you mention, and it is rapidly paying for itself in gas savings. It's an HD200 so it's got plenty of power in case I want to run to a nearby town for a bit of shopping.

But I wouldn't tour on it, which I occasionally did on the Burgman.
It's amazing how quick the gas savings add up.

Hey, what do you do in Bisbee? I always thought that looked like a fun little place. We used to stop there occasionally on bike trips.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:53 PM   #37
blugg1
Gnarly Adventurer

In an earlier life I was a detective sergeant in California. Then I accidentally got a graduate degree and became a college English instructor. Then I retired.

Now I'm just a happy bum.

(Bisbee is a horrid little town. Worst mistake I ever made was moving here in 1976).
Old 09-09-2013, 05:49 PM   #38
blackcat54
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
In an earlier life I was a detective sergeant in California. Then I accidentally got a graduate degree and became a college English instructor. Then I retired.

Now I'm just a happy bum.

(Bisbee is a horrid little town. Worst mistake I ever made was moving here in 1976).
Horrid? Surley you jest.
blackcat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:26 PM   #39
blugg1
Gnarly Adventurer

I think you're onto something.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:26 PM   #40
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Do they still serve Dave's Electric Blue in the bar at the Copper Queen?

Old 09-10-2013, 03:54 PM   #41
blugg1
Gnarly Adventurer

Totally OT: Yes, they still do. Dave now has Industrial Pale Ale (IPA) and OK Ale (named after OK Street). I owned Electric Brewing for two years while Dave was on parole. Arizona forbids anyone on parole from owning any sort of state liquor license, including a microbrewery license. So Dave gave the brewery to me as I am squeaky clean. I gave it back to him when he completed his parole.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:05 PM   #42
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,391
Scooters come in two sizes short wheelbase and long wheelbase. The two small scooters in your choice have it but are too small engined for the highway, the Burgman is physically too big to make it good around town where you might as well be on a motorcycle (weight and manouverability will be harder).

I would look at a ~250cc short wheelbase, the Aprillia 250.
Vertical C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:55 AM   #43
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikingtigger View Post
have had a majesty 400 for 7+ years and loved every minute of it. It could definitely handle your needs, but only the 400s (Burg and majesty) will do the climbs, though not with a whole lot of gusto but you'll get there and do the speed limit at least. And freeways will be a breeze with those engines.
Sports City 250 does fine on climbs. We kept one in Breckenridge, CO for 2 years before my son took it off to university in California. When we first bought it the companion scoot was a Burgman 400 and while the Burgman does have a bit more grunt it only left the Sports City behind when there was wide open flat ground and the Burgman rider was significantly exceeding the speed limit.

BV 500/Scarabeo 500 keep the same form factor as the smaller scoots but are far more comfortable for me to ride. Traded the Burgman in for a BV though personally I prefer the Scarabeo - better seat and suspension.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:26 AM   #44
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Totally OT: Yes, they still do. Dave now has Industrial Pale Ale (IPA) and OK Ale (named after OK Street). I owned Electric Brewing for two years while Dave was on parole. Arizona forbids anyone on parole from owning any sort of state liquor license, including a microbrewery license. So Dave gave the brewery to me as I am squeaky clean. I gave it back to him when he completed his parole.
Damned interesting. Thanks. I remember the barmaid saying something about Dave being "gone away for awhile." I wouldn't know Dave from Adam, but it was a peculiar remark that has stuck with me for, geez, fifteen years? Man, I'm old!

Old 09-12-2013, 07:59 AM   #45
Gerg
Cupcake

Oddometer: 8,324
Back on topic...

We have a Piaggio BV350 and Zuma 125 in the garage. The 350 gets used 4:1. It'll do freeway speeds easily, get 60+ MPG, and has a ton of storage since adding the top box.

Get at least a 250 sized scooter so you can do the higher speed roads. There are LOTS of options!

Gerg is offline   Reply With Quote