Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2013, 03:54 AM   #31
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennessee Goat View Post
Actually in my opinion the FZ1 handled a gravel road at high speed better than my 800 tiger xc.
Yes of course. And for two-up touring an FZ1 beats the living s•it out of a Goldwing.
Pecha72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:40 PM   #32
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket69 View Post
I just got back from looking at the Vee. Offered him $4000 and he took it. Hopefully we can have the paper work taken care of Saturday.
Good choice. Enjoy.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:30 PM   #33
macbethandbanquo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
I have an 07 FZ1 and I would NEVER take it off road!! It is fantastic on the road as a sport tourer. I have mine set up with Givi top and side quick detach bags. Wonderful bike.
I'm 70 years old and still having fun on it.

But, I am like you and I want to try a little off roading. Looked at the Stroms and liked them, the Versys....almost bought a brand new 09 for $4900!
But I'll ride my FZ1 a tad longer while I'm looking. Just checked out a BMW 2009 F650GS and really like that one. For around $8500 all farkled up seems ok. I'll test ride next week. Hell, I'm already buying Adventure gear for it!
good luck with the Strom......heard lots of great things about it. A tad tall for me (30inch inseam) The 09 BMW I looked at has the lower seat. Perfect!
macbethandbanquo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 02:32 PM   #34
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,652
Quote:
I know this type question gets asked over and over...and over and over, But I can't find a direct comparison.

I want a sport bike that has a standard seating position, comfortable 2-up and good on dirt roads.

I like the looks of the FZ1 and FZ6, but can't seem to find much on the 2-up or dirt rad part of it.

Also, what about the bandit? Does it fit in with the rest of these bikes?
Odd parameters.

Sportbike with standard seating position,doesnt exist,a sportbike is a sportbike.

There arent many people testing them on dirtroads because they're sportbikes and not dirt road bikes.

What your looking for is a standard style bike that is sporty and also a decent dirt bike and fits 2 people well.

Ive never heard of a bike like that,a V-strom keeps getting mentioned yet is not a sportbike,the 1000 Strom I had drug bottom too much on corners,couldnt really be leaned over enough to rip corners with,the really long wheelbase on a Strom makes them a hard bike to go fast around tighter corners. But they fit two people well.

Ive got a 1250 Bandit,its a sort of sporty standard style bike with a nice torquey engine,some guys ride em on gravel roads,any streetbike can be ridden on gravel roads,beats the bike up,street tires suck on deeper gravel,but it can be done. I try not to.

2 people dont fit great on a Bandit from what Ive heard.

Maybe you need a big supermotard.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:38 PM   #35
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennessee Goat View Post
I had a gen 2 FZ1 and I could take gravel road at 75mph probably more if I had the balls. It's no GS, but on a gravel road it's a fine machine.
I think you've had too much to dream.

But Id love to see a video of you flattracking your FZ1 at 75mph on gravel roads,17" wheels with smooth tires arent really the best on gravel usually.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:45 AM   #36
Bucket69 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
The deal with the Vee fell through. Guess I'm back looking...the local dealer has a left over 2011 Wee for $6500. Leaning heavily on that one.
Bucket69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:13 AM   #37
Auto-X Fil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
I want a sport bike that has a standard seating position, comfortable 2-up and good on dirt roads.
What do you mean by "sport bike"? As said above, a sort bike, by definition, has an aggressive, low position. It is also stiff and low-slung, so it's not good for dirt roads.

Now, there are higher and lower positions within the Sport Bike genre. The Ninja 650 is pretty upright for a sport bike. The Versys is a 650 with taller suspension and even more upright ergos, so it might be the most sportbike-like bike in this category, in terms of heritage. But, the torquey motor and tall position don't make it feel much like a sportbike to me - it's more like a Supermoto. Which, as was said, might be what you really want, except the 2-up part.

So, try the Versys. It's no sportbike, but it's sporty, and does everything else you want. It's certainly way more sporty than a Vee or Wee. After softening the suspension all the way, it's pretty solid on gravel.

Or, how about a BMW F700GS or Triumph Tiger (roadie, not XC)? They both have more gravel chops than the Versys with good suspension and 19" front wheels, at the expense of feeling a little less sporty. Both are great 2-up.
Auto-X Fil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:03 AM   #38
Bucket69 OP
Adventurer

I just took a Versys for a test ride..fun bike, but I don't know if it would be good for 2-up for very far. I felt a little cramped on it. It also felt quick steering at slower speeds. Not sure that would be good for dirt roads, although I'm sure you would get used to it.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:59 PM   #39
goodburbon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
I beats this horse to death over the last year.
I thought the vstrom seemed a little, sparse and ugly
I thought the FZ6 was not enough engine, and lumped the versus in with it.
The fz1 was really a contender.
The bandit struck me the same as the other Suzuki, just plain ugly.

This left me looking seriously at the super tenre, triumph tiger, fz1.
At 14k, 11k and 10k new, with a very shallow pool of used bikes within 200 miles of me.

for power and love of vibrations, wound up back on a Buell XB12XT. When it's time to move on, I'll be looking at the used tenre/tiger market.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
00' TTR125L
09' Buell Ulysses
goodburbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:54 AM   #40
Bucket69 OP
Adventurer

I ended up getting a 2013 650 V-Strom Monday night. I have only put a bout 120 miles on it, but so far I love it. It's even nice 2-up.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:13 PM   #41
Tennessee Goat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
I think you've had too much to dream.

But Id love to see a video of you flattracking your FZ1 at 75mph on gravel roads,17" wheels with smooth tires arent really the best on gravel usually.
I never hit a gravel curve at 75mph on the fizzer. I'm not talking about sliding around corners, although I have no doubt with the right rider it could be done. My balls are big enough to try it. The FZ is very good on gravel, don't knock it till ya try it.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:04 AM   #42
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,310
Quote:
I ended up getting a 2013 650 V-Strom Monday night. I have only put a bout 120 miles on it, but so far I love it. It's even nice 2-up.
Shed that stock rubber on it and put Shinko E705Rs on it and you have your bike I think. As long as you are both pretty light it does 2 up very well. I also like a 16T CS sprocket on mine for out West. It will go 85 mph all day with no effort that way but still has useable lower gears. Some folks like to richen up lower end with a Dale Walker Holeshot FI enrichener just to make it pull better in lo-mid and to make it run cooler more importantly. Enjoy.... I love my old ugly 2007 Wee.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:50 PM   #43
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Oddometer: 1,463
Quote:
I bought a 2008 Vee at the end of 2008 thinking that LexWife would enjoy riding with me... which turned out not to be the case. Wish that I had your bike now and that you had mine. Oh well.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:46 AM   #44
Bucket69 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post
Shed that stock rubber on it and put Shinko E705Rs on it and you have your bike I think. As long as you are both pretty light it does 2 up very well. I also like a 16T CS sprocket on mine for out West. It will go 85 mph all day with no effort that way but still has useable lower gears. Some folks like to richen up lower end with a Dale Walker Holeshot FI enrichener just to make it pull better in lo-mid and to make it run cooler more importantly. Enjoy.... I love my old ugly 2007 Wee.
What don't you like about the Trailwings?

I've been kicking around the thought of getting a 16t sprocket...if for nothing else, so the damn speedo will be close to correct. I hate that.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:48 AM   #45
Bucket69 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexLeroy View Post
I bought a 2008 Vee at the end of 2008 thinking that LexWife would enjoy riding with me... which turned out not to be the case. Wish that I had your bike now and that you had mine. Oh well.
I went back and forth...and back again, trying to decide if I wanted the Vee or Glee, and in the end, I'm happy with the Glee. I would like to have a liter bike to play on, but for an every day commuter, the 650 fits me well.