ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2013, 07:51 AM   #16
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Oddometer: 576
I have had great success buying and selling on CL.

Sold a 25 foot boat, a 15 foot daysailer, BMW, motorcycles, Bought motorcycles, boats, banjos, tools, toolboxes.

Sure you get scammers but all in all a great experience.

Ballsy that someone would give you crap.

Personally I can't wait until the harley thing dies out...especially the ape hangers.
Sic Semper Tyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:03 AM   #17
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,728
I have sold and bought a few things on CL without to much trouble. I love the scammers. They claim they will Paypal you the full amount plus fees and their "agent" will pickup the item. No thank you, you can come in person with cash.

I actually had a guy want to by my ATV with a check....was standing in my driveway, I said there is bank down the street, go get cash.....never came back.

Even better are the ones that want me to deliver the item across the state.....hmm a $50 item and I have to spend $50 in gas to get it to you plus my time....no thanks...
Old 07-29-2013, 09:11 AM   #18
feathered
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
I've sold several things on CL, including two bikes, and I've bought 4 bikes found on CL. Even did a fly and ride. No problems, as long as you have enough common sense to recognize scammers. I didn't get any unsolicited email smack talk though!

Setting your price a little (or more..) higher than you're actually hoping to sell fo can be easier than trying to set a 'non-negotiable' price. Especially true for big ticket items like motor vehicles, furniture, electronics. People are going to try to negotiate those even if you tell them not to. This way, you come down a little on price after negotiating for a while. They feel good about themselves, you get the price you wanted.
feathered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:13 AM   #19
mikesova OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,849
I love craigslist. I've gotten many a good deal on bikes or whatever. Of course, I expect scammers, but not somebody talking crap about the item for sale without even being interested in purchasing it. He must have been really bored.

For Sale: 2004 Husqvarna TE510 (Michigan)
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:37 AM   #20
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,935
I've, for the most part(see below), always had good luck buying and selling on CL.

I've wanted to Email a couple people whose ads were blatant lies but held my tongue.

Regarding setting a higher price...
I had my truck for sale a couple years back. I have $10,000 in aftermarket parts on it. I know you can't get back what you have in it but I was only asking $1,000(OBO...OR BEST OFFER) over NADA. Ad kept getting flagged. Went to CL online message board and asked why? Everyone said the price was too high...that's more than likely why people were flagging the ad.
WTF? So there are people out there who have nothing better to do than flag ads they don't like or don't agree with the asking price?
To that end, others who have similar items for sale could possibly flag your ad so they don't have any competition...

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:06 AM   #21
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
So, I threw the sporty up on c-list after riding it for a little while. The main plan was to flip it in the long run. I rode my fz6 after riding the sporty for a week and it was like night and day. smooth and comfy on the fz6 vs. vibey and cramped on the sporty. The sportster is seriously fun to ride, but not for long periods of time, I've found.

Anyway, I had a lady email me about it:

Her: That is the ugliest sporty I have ever seen.
Why would you take off the forward controls ?
Just plain stupid........
Good Luck

Who the hell wastes their time and emails people to talk shit about the stuff they are selling?

Well, for fun, and to waste my time I responded:

I didn't take off the forward controls, but I wouldn't have bought it with them. You have better control of the motorcycle with them (mids). I wouldn't expect a simpleton like you to understand that, though.

Sent from my iPhone

She wrote back:

Hello Dickhead......
If you were a true Harley Rider you know it's about what looks better not if you have better control.....All sportster customs come with forward control........
You probably wear a helmet also.......DickHead.....lol

Sent from my iPad

Lol.

Me: Ahh, form before function, you must be a "true Harley rider". Yep, I do value my life and motor skills, so I do wear a helmet. I guess I'm not your typical Harley fashionista. You probably shouldn't even be looking at sportsters though, because a real Harley rider, like yourself, knows that sportsters are real pussy bikes.

Also, may I remind you, that you emailed me to tell me that the bike I had was ugly and stupid, so I think you're the dickhead in this situation, XXXXXXXX.

Name withheld to protect the stupid.
Beat me to it. I am a Welsh lad for whom non-metric bike = old Brit parallel twin and I know next to nothing about Harleys. Even I know that a Sportster isn't a proper Harley (I mean, it's not even piss-takingly expensive and it handles better than a fridge, what were they thinking)and that real Harley riders would never look at it.

The only time I've ever seen this sort of criticism of an item for sale is:
A) When the person has such wildly out of whack expectations about the selling price for the condition/item and the person wants to (jokingly) kindly draw their attention to this fact.
B) As a precursor to making an insultingly low offer, as demonstrated here:
http://www.27bslash6.com/sold.html
Old 07-29-2013, 10:14 AM   #22
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
B) As a precursor to making an insultingly low offer, as demonstrated here:
http://www.27bslash6.com/sold.html
That's great!

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:42 PM   #23
Tim McKittrick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,705
I've bought and sold a lot of stuff on CL, and have never had any serious issues. I confess I'm often tempted to offer sellers unsolicited advice about their ads- like the bike pictured isnt a YR330 but is actually a YZ250, or the 28 year old rusted enduro that you are selling which doesn't run or have a title is probably not worth the $2800 you are asking for it- but I've never actually DONE it.

I figure time and experience will eventually teach them whatever it is they need to know, and have a good chuckle at their expense.
Tim McKittrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:53 AM   #24
DR Donk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
The few times I've sold items on Craig's List I always have e-mails wanting me to hold the item. Like a fool, I did once and guess what, the guy never showed up. So now I tell them first one with cash gets it.
DR Donk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:33 AM   #25
jschance
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Yeah, I love the 'what's your lowest price?' emails. I've responded with "Come to my driveway with cash and find out". So far, no takers.

Overall I've had good luck with selling stuff on Craigslist. You've just got to understand there are scammers and idiots out there, and how to sort 'em out.
jschance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:09 PM   #26
p0diabl0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
A couple of times I've emailed people correcting some pertinent information just trying to be helpful. Usually something like the model of the bike when they're clueless. ("Kawazuki Ninja zx-650 for sale" - actually you have a Kawasaki ZX-6...)

Never get a response though.
p0diabl0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:52 PM   #27
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,239
It's funny this thread came up. I listed my GSX-R 600 a few days ago, here's an e-mail I received.

Your craigslist post:
http://youngstown.craigslist.org/mcy/3958287494.html

I've never seen so many dropped bikes as I have in the past few years. Wtf, doesn't anybody know how to ride a goddamned bike anymore?
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:29 PM   #28
Andyvh1959
Cheesehead Klompen

Oddometer: 669
HA! I posted an add on craigslist for worn out sectional sofa that I just wanted gone, the add said "FREE, You haul it away."

Couldn't believe how many scammer replies I got asking I hold the "item" for them to purchase if I comply with thier offer.

Guess scammers don't understand the word "free?"
Old 07-30-2013, 07:09 PM   #29
heavy_-j
Need me some Adv!

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyvh1959 View Post
HA! I posted an add on craigslist for worn out sectional sofa that I just wanted gone, the add said "FREE, You haul it away."

Couldn't believe how many scammer replies I got asking I hold the "item" for them to purchase if I comply with thier offer.

Guess scammers don't understand the word "free?"
I once put a couch up for free on craiglist. And said the same as you, "You must haul it yourself!!!".
After about nine requests that did not involve the taker hauling the couch themselves, I had a guy email me and ask if I thought he would be able to carry it to XYZ address (it was about 18-20 blocks away btw).....I told him it was a 150lb couch and he was welcome to try, but I was pretty sure he would regret it....then he asked me if I'd carry the other side of the couch with him.... F*** NO! That would be the antithesis of me not moving the FREE couch I said YOU had to move YOURSELF....crimeny people..

Then the guy who finally agreed to come with a truck and take it away himself CAME ALONE! And asked me to help him carry it down the two flights of stairs........the guy was lucky I'm nice and just wanted the damn couch gone!

PNW riders...hit me up! I'd love to tag along and learn the the area better and get some riding in with good peoples...I can just cruise or ride WOT all day...I'm game for anything.
heavy_-j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:41 AM   #30
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_-j View Post
I once put a couch up for free on craiglist. And said the same as you, "You must haul it yourself!!!".
After about nine requests that did not involve the taker hauling the couch themselves, I had a guy email me and ask if I thought he would be able to carry it to XYZ address (it was about 18-20 blocks away btw).....I told him it was a 150lb couch and he was welcome to try, but I was pretty sure he would regret it....then he asked me if I'd carry the other side of the couch with him.... F*** NO! That would be the antithesis of me not moving the FREE couch I said YOU had to move YOURSELF....crimeny people..

Then the guy who finally agreed to come with a truck and take it away himself CAME ALONE! And asked me to help him carry it down the two flights of stairs........the guy was lucky I'm nice and just wanted the damn couch gone!
I once hauled a 150lb fire that I wanted, almost 2 miles on my back. The people giving it away were most amused that I didn't have a van. It is unbelievable how unwieldy a shape a door is when it is that heavy!
Test lift in their car park: "Ah, this is easy, I can lift way more than this!"
100 yards down the road: "Idiot, what were you thinking!"