User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2013, 09:46 AM   #16
ReferJohn
3RD Generation Rider

Oddometer: 446
HD Touring models ...... ICONIC MOTORCYCLING
had new '04 FLHRI troublefree for 8 years, traded in for a '12 FLTRU. these bikes are nimble and do not ride as heavy as they look...
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=769605
Old 07-28-2013, 10:22 AM   #17
EricD10563
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
All the Harley tourers are heavy bikes no way around it, the Road King is the lightweight of the bunch and I found it easy to get used too. I currently ride an Electra Glide Limited and that took me longer to get used too with it's high mounted trunk and Batwing fairing.

Short answer is yes you get used to it (at least I have) but it's still a heavy bike at slow speeds but once you get rolling I don't really notice the weight at all.

If you don't have good slow speed skills the bike can be a handful, it's easy to see who as problems just watch them attempt to make a U-turn.
In 2009 I rode 18,589 miles on an island that's 72 miles long. That's 50 miles a day everyday for 365 days. I think I'll go home now. 91k miles and still riding http://travelwithe.com/blogengine.net/ my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTJA4CrFRY-_rvDejPct73g
EricD10563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:13 PM   #18
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,374
Cool2

Wife and I put about 10k mi. on a Burgman 650 w/car tire mounted on the rear wheel.

With its underseat storage, enough for 2 full face helmets, there is no need for saddlebags.

Most of the weigh is distributed down low to the ground, the Burgman is very stable at parking lot speed, even 2-up.

650cc engine with gear shift, triple digit speed capable, large seating area for rider & passenger.

IMO, the ideal 2-up vehicle.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:01 PM   #19
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020 View Post
Wife and I put about 10k mi. on a Burgman 650 w/car tire mounted on the rear wheel.

Which one is you?
Old 07-29-2013, 04:15 AM   #20
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by waveydavey View Post
Which one is you?
Which one do you want me to be?
Old 07-30-2013, 03:53 AM   #21
wario
good bike cleaner...

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020 View Post
Which one do you want me to be?
The one without underwear...

"Our founding fathers would be shooting by now..."
wario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:22 AM   #22
longdude17
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Coming from a adventure bike to a harley can be a shock to the senses. BUT like anything else you will "get used to it". They are great bikes, shine up real nice and the girls migrate to them when you do your part.

Im not knocking Harley when I say this, but there are "other" alternatives for a WHOLE LOT LESS money. I almost pulled the trigger on a Harley Switchback 4 months ago. LOVED the bike, it was exactly what I wanted but the sales manager was a douche and would not come off the price one penny. Even when I pulled out 18k cash. Needless to say they hurt my only feeling.

Im currently riding a Yamaha Raider, with all the mods I have on it now im still 9+grand cheaper than the switchback. I know its no harley but Im glad I made the choice I did. My point is, Look around, explore other bikes, you may be surprised at what you find (take a good look at victory).

Happy trails!

longdude17 screwed with this post 07-30-2013 at 10:37 AM
longdude17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:57 AM   #23
Bloodweiser
honestly

Oddometer: 2,582
^?

Raider $14,990
Switchback $16,199

That ain't a whole lot.
Bloodweiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:01 AM   #24
boatpuller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
You can get away with poor slow speed skills with a light bike that you can't with a heavy bike. Getting a heavier bike to please your wife may require you to improve your slow speed skills. There is a DVD called "Ride Like a Pro" done by a former motor officer on the basic techniques used by motor officers to handle their big Harley's. What those guys can do is amazing. BTW, the skills they use will work on most any motorcycle.

Do a Google search for videos of police motorcycle rodeos or competitions. It is poetry to watch them.

Short answer, yes you'll get used to it, but unless you master the skills needed to make a heavy bike dance, you may never get real comfy with any heavy bike, no matter how low the center of gravity.
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:59 AM   #25
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpuller View Post
You can get away with poor slow speed skills with a light bike that you can't with a heavy bike. Getting a heavier bike to please your wife may require you to improve your slow speed skills. There is a DVD called "Ride Like a Pro" done by a former motor officer on the basic techniques used by motor officers to handle their big Harley's. What those guys can do is amazing. BTW, the skills they use will work on most any motorcycle.

Do a Google search for videos of police motorcycle rodeos or competitions. It is poetry to watch them.

Short answer, yes you'll get used to it, but unless you master the skills needed to make a heavy bike dance, you may never get real comfy with any heavy bike, no matter how low the center of gravity.
Great point.

My slow riding skills on a big bike sucked. My fast riding skills might have been track honed, but I was not good at parking lot speeds, with a passenger and load.

A few years ago I took the BMW off road 2 day course in SC on a GS Adventure. An unintended side effect was greatly improving my low speed pig riding skills!

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:34 AM   #26
longdude17
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodweiser View Post
^?

Raider $14,990
Switchback $16,199

That ain't a whole lot.
I picked up my Raider used in mint condition with pipes, detachable windshield and sissy bar with 1800 miles on the clock for $7800. Ive put a mustang seat, forwards and cobra power pro for another $1100. Just because Harley advertises $16,199 (black switchback) doesnt mean your gonna get one for that price....tax, title, licence, prep fee, add a set of vance and hines and your rapidly approaching 20grand. My local dealer still has the one i was looking at advertised for $17,995 and wouldnt let it go out the door for $18.5k cash bc "its a harley, and I will sell it to someone else who will pay asking value"

But thats the local harley shop.....not my first rodeo with them.
longdude17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:55 AM   #27
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by longdude17 View Post
I picked up my Raider used in mint condition with pipes, detachable windshield and sissy bar with 1800 miles on the clock for $7800. Ive put a mustang seat, forwards and cobra power pro for another $1100. Just because Harley advertises $16,199 (black switchback) doesnt mean your gonna get one for that price....tax, title, licence, prep fee, add a set of vance and hines and your rapidly approaching 20grand. My local dealer still has the one i was looking at advertised for $17,995 and wouldnt let it go out the door for $18.5k cash bc "its a harley, and I will sell it to someone else who will pay asking value"

But thats the local harley shop.....not my first rodeo with them.
Buying a used cruiser, where price is a material factor, it pays to look Japanese. Solid bikes that depreciated rapidly makes for lower cost of entry, for the pre owned buyer.

We've purchased 2 new Harley's in the past 2 years. We have two dealers within 25 miles of our home. One was willing to deal, but not much and the second went out of their way to earn our business. Which they did. I won't pay retail, as a matter of principle.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:20 PM   #28
boatpuller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC View Post
Great point.

My slow riding skills on a big bike sucked. My fast riding skills might have been track honed, but I was not good at parking lot speeds, with a passenger and load.

A few years ago I took the BMW off road 2 day course in SC on a GS Adventure. An unintended side effect was greatly improving my low speed pig riding skills!
That should be a great class to take. But, based on your current knowledge, how much new useful info would be presented in the BMW off road class to an experienced moto cross rider (very light weight dirt bike) who also took police motor officer training (tight slow speed work with very heavy motorcycle)?
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:32 PM   #29
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutler686 View Post
I have owned a DL650 for a few years now following a number of sport bikes. I mainly ride by myself however my wife has been increasingly interested in riding with me and the little 650 is just not the best handling bike with myself 190lbs wife 150lbs and a few pounds of gear for a day trip.

I have always liked the idea of a GS or RT however my local BMW dealer is a real pain in the but to deal with, and doesn't even like you to test their bikes unless you are about to write a check.

A few weeks back my local Harley dealer had a ride event in which Harley came with a semi truck of 2013 bikes for customers to ride. I never rode a Harley before so the wife and I attended. We drove an ultra, road king and deluxe. The wife really liked the lower seat position of the bikes and seemed to like the road king the best.

I am a little unsure of the weight though. Once we got moving it was ok, however in parking lot maneuvering, all but the Deluxe felt like they where much more than the 700+ lbs that they were.

Do you Harley riders ever get used to the weight of these bikes, or just learn how to manage it? Wife like the back seat but I am not sure if I want to deal with that weight on a day to day commuting.

Thoughts?

Thanks!!
I ride a big Victory Cross Country Tour. It's heavy, but I never really notice the weight. It's as easy to shuffle around the garage as the taller bikes I have had because of the low COG and low seat height. As far as power is concerned, it doesn't even know when I have a passenger. Parking lot speeds are a bit cumbersome at first, but you soon realize that just like any other bike it goes where you point it. What I have said about the Victory applies to Harley as well.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:23 PM   #30
Growl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Harley but not any

I love my Dyna Superglide with touring seat, windshield and luggage for touring with my wife... Once I got good at the slow speed manouvers she became real relaxed and trusting. We rented a Harley touring bagger for a week... I loved the radio but on dirt roads it's just plain too heavy for my liking. Dyna is perfect.
Growl is offline   Reply With Quote